Kacey - Following Danish LL- CD (VLCD)

I think you will have to take your husband on as healthy competition and use him to make you more determined - it that doesnt work and he sill annoyingly continues to lose more weight - make him sleep in the garage!

hey there kacey. i've cleared out some of my private messages so you should be able to send me one now, ha. if you click on my name above my picture then select 'send abz a private message' or something like that you can do it :)

i'm going to roskilde a week on saturday and i can't wait :D not that i know the place particularly well or anything but i do like denmark and seeing everyone again will be nice. they haven't seen me since i was at my biggest either so woo, ha. hopefully i'll be over 2 stone down by the time i go too :D

abz xx

hi just seen ur diary there now.
first of all want to say after been through soooo much in ur live ur doing a fab job now. well done.
also dont mind the oh there lads and can be insensitive pigs!!
any chance showing him thhis diary and ur feelings would help the situation? maybe he genuinly doesnt realize the way he is!!

also ur doing fab!! and dont chuck it in the bag uve gotten over the first week so that in itself is a bbbbiiiiiggggggg step!! keep up ur brill work xxx

GOOD DAY! OK, I had to have a sneak peak at the scales giving Mr. Obnoxious' weight loss! (he isn't up yet so I haven't heard the daily WOO HOO today yet) Anyway - I have gotten rid of 2 more pounds since Tuesday which puts me at 11.4 pounds lost in 18 days. That is 10% of my goal to lose. Hallelujah!!! :p

As for showing him my diary..... um, well, he's, um, he's Danish! What can I say.... If you know some danish people you know what I mean - if you don't, suffice it to say that the Scandinavian's didn't survive thousands of sub zero winters with no food because they were touchy-feely people! :D

A competition - that would be a good idea - but he (and his family) are so competitive as to think that drawing blood is OK, if it's part of the game. He'd only lose even MORE! Which is good for him! If he could just stop the GLOATING!

Sleeping in the garage! That is the best idea I've heard thus far! I'll keep you posted - by the end of the weekend one or the other of us may just be right there!

ABZ - I don't get 'post a private message' or anything like it when I click on your name. Maybe I haven't enough 'points' or how that works???

Have a great day everyone. I shouldn't have cheated on my WI - but at least it was GOOD news!

hey there hon. you might have to have more than 50 posts. so get posting :D

i have met a range of danish folk. all are touchy feely in their way but so blunt about it. never EVER ask a danish person a question if you don't expect a blunt answer. 'do i look fat in this' is likely to get a 'yes' if you don't look amazing. no beating around the bush. since my danish OH is living in england with me he's had to go through some incredibly extensive training, ha. english manners seemed really peculiar. not to mention the comments he can come out with without realising he sounds racist due to a total lack of non-white folk where he lived. he doesn't care about the colour of a person's skin but hasn't quite got the knack of expressing what he means without it sounding wrong... ha. i'm still working on that one :)

abz xx

oh there are definitely some exciting moments being here!

When I put my American daughter into 1st grade here (she was raised first 5 years in the US), the teacher wrote home that there was a problem as my daughter wouldn't 'mind' and was avoiding gymnastics class. Hmmm. My daughter is MS. SPORT - so this was odd. I read the note to my husband and told him that OF COURSE my daughter had to mind the teacher. Daughter comes home from school. I say "Daughter - what is happening? Why aren't you minding the teacher? That is NOT ACCEPTABLE!" She says "Mom, they want me to take off all my clothes and go into the showers with the boys!"

Cough. cough. Choke. choke. Hmmmm. My husband (danish) says "Yeah and what is the problem?" I say: "Well I spent 5 years telling her to KEEP HER CLOTHES ON!"

Now what???

I go to school and meet with teacher. Explain culture difference and ask her how we can compromise to resolve it. She says, in no uncertain terms, "What kind of sick country is the US who has ideas in their head that children are thinking of sex or sexual things because they are naked?" I, rather calmly I like to think, explained that we just have different ideas - now how can we resolve this?

Apparently the kids go NAKED IN THE BATH together til they are in 3rd grade. Well, that was the first of many, many, many shocking things I had to deal with here. They all think I'm a freak for having these weird, 1500's, sexual ideas.... Now I try, to keep my mouth shut, no matter how odd I find the situation.

On the non-white front, once my husband took his mom to Egypt for holiday. In the airport they saw a black person. She whipped out her camera and started taking FLASH pictures. My husband quickly stopped her. "WHAT are you doing?", he asked. She said: "What - do you think that man minds me taking his picture? What is wrong?" She honestly didn't know....

Lots of interesting experiences here! Also in other parts of Scandinavia. One of my colleagues was dating a Finnish woman. They flew to Helsinki to meet her parents. When they arrived at the parents house, the entire family was there to greet him. They were all down swimming (yes, FREEZING cold), and they were ALL NAKED! He, being English, was absolutely DYING trying to shake her mom, sister, brother, and father's hands while pretending that they were not all standing outside having a chat whilst they were all butt naked! :whistle:

P.S. The Jante Law (ask your oh) is still well and truly in force in Denmark. That accounts for the bluntness, manners, and the 'everybody is equal'. Which by the way is one of the things I LOVE about Denmark. If you do nothing else, get this book - it is delightful and absolutely positively true! Xenophobe's guide to the Danes

ha. i really might have to do that :)

when i met his folks they were like 'i want you to treat this just like your own home. if you want to walk around naked then do so', and i was like 'well i would... if i actually did that around my own parents', ha.

saying that i haven't seen them naked. thomas's family are actually quite anglicised, or at least around me :)

at primary school we all got changed together etc but by the time we were 11 we certainly didn't get naked together in the showers...

and i don't know why they are claiming that they don't think children are sexual. again the first time i was over there i ended up having a massive debate with OH's parents because denmark had considered lowering the age of sexual consent to 12!! i nearly had a fit!! ha. it's 15 at the moment i believe. this never actually happened of course.. although if you talk to a danish person about it, they all seem to have started having sex at around 11-14... maybe i'm just prudish :S

saying all of that, once you realise it's a culture difference and not a person being totally insane or rude, there are so many unbelievably good things about the danish. i am getting to enjoy the fact that they all believe each other to be grateful so don't need to thank each other all the time. although saying that when they come to my house and i cook a three course dinner for them, they'd better bloody thank me for it :D

abz xx

One of our biggest fights ever....

Son, who was 17, comes home and says that girlfriend is going to spend the night tonight. I, being the extremely open minded person that I am, say "No problem - you can take the couch and she can have your bed." The entire family stopped in their tracks (picture one of those comedy shows) - you could have heard a pin drop.

"Um, what?", says 17 year old. I say, "Well good grief, you don't expect HER to sleep on the couch do you?". "Um no", he says, "I expect her to sleep in my bed."

I just stared. I was sure this was a joke. Pictures ran thru my head of us standing in line to get a shower in the morning, and me having a chat with his girlfriend....:eek: Next picture, breakfast table.

I say - "OK let me talk to your dad." So, DH and I go upstairs. I say, "WHAT THE (*#$(*#&%(*#&?" He says, "What are you on about? What's the problem?"

I say "Well besides the fact that he met her LAST WEEK. And oh, besides the fact that if he gets her pregnant I guess we are responsible. And oh, hell. What am I suppose to say at the breakfast table to our 17 year old boyfriend and his 16 year old girlfriend? HOW WAS IT???"

DH "Get a grip on yourself. It's just sex. Who cares."

Me "OK, after they eat their breakfast with us - then the absolute topper - they are going to ask me to DRIVE THEM TO SCHOOL BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO YOUNG TO DRIVE after they just spent the night together in OUR HOUSE."

DH "Yeah - and so."

Well this conversation did not go well. And son slept at the 16 year old girl's house instead.

I was forced into realising that once you are about 13 it is perfectly acceptable (and you are an ABSOLUTE FREAK IF YOU DO NOT AGREE) for the CHILDREN (Yes, I think they are still kids at that age) to have on-going sexual relations where they sleep at each other's houses 5 nights out of 7. HELLO - STARTING AT AGE 13!

My DH says "Well at least you know where they are... They aren't in some back alley or the back of a car." Yes - I can see that point. But my point is "A 13 year old is not capable of understanding or participating in a on-going sexual relationship in a healthy way."

The Danes response "It is totally natural - what is your problem!?"

And that is how things are mostly left.... They just politely say nothing and inside they are saying "Good grief what is that person all worked up about!" ;)

Hi Kacey

Been reading your comments about Denmark - cultural differences fascinate me. I do find it quite shocking but saying that you guys don't have the awful teenage pregnancy and abortion rates we have here in the UK, so I don't know who has it right - probably somewhere in the middle.

I used to have a boss who was Danish - and you certainly knew where you stood with him! A lot of people were completely intimidated by him - especially as he was also 6' 4" viking of a man with a shaved head & goatee. However, I just gave him as good as he gave me - and we got on really well. I think he just couldn't understand why he upset people and frankly didn't care!!!!

On the racism thing - a good friend of mine is Swedish and she married a Brit (who's parents were from India & Pakistan) When they moved back to Sweden to bring up the kids (the Scandinavian system is so much more child-friendly than ours) people in the street used to stop Ann-Sofie and ask her where she'd got her daughter from, or congratulate her on "taking on a foreign orphan" They couldn't understand why her child wasn't blonde like her!!!! Her hubby - despite his fluent Swedish and being a qualified accountant couldn't find a job for months and months. Its all good now - but they did really struggle at first.

Carol x

ha!! kacey. love it :D i don't really see the problem at 17, i guess by then you have to start taking responsibility for your own actions and me and my boyfriend at the time stayed at each other's houses in each other's beds at that age, and we stayed together for over six years... 13 though? well i probably did stay at friends houses that were boys at that age. we were friends. i just didn't have sex with them... ha. and we didn't share a bed. i suppose that carol is right. as long as people are educated and responsible then somewhere in the middle must be right. saying that, i don't have kids yet so i am probably a bit too objective :D

tell you what though. met OH's parents and other than the 'debate' which was basically an argument about the age of consent, the first conversation i had with his dad was about prostitution and sex shops... talk about meeting the parents!!

abz xx

my xenophobes guide to danes has just been dispatched :D can't wait to read it now, hee.

abz xx

ahhh a tiring day! I really hate to be a whiner. Life is what it is. You can look at it thru positive eyes or negative eyes. Tonight things look a little negative...

I hurt my back (a herniated disk) some weeks ago. I just cannot seem to get it better. Everytime it gets slightly better, I start doing things with my son again, and then I get hurt again. Today, I was trying to get him up into his high chair. He pushed back and it was either grab him before he hit the floor - or he would hit the floor. The pain was overwhelming. I just cried and cried as I fed him his dinner. Despair felt like it was washing over me. I HATE not being able to help with him - and he is absolutely at least a 2 person full time job. When my back is like this I can't even bend over to put the dishes in the washer. It is a huge burden on everyone else on top of the huge burden of our son already.

Then husband decides to have several glasses of wine. I just had myself a right pout (inside myself only) that I can't be the one sitting, relaxing and having a glass of wine. I didn't... and I know - this is whiny and mopey and just generally dismal to read.

Honestly - I've read so many stories on here and people have some really hard problems so I just feel like crap for whining. But I don't have any place else to do it. My diary gets to be the 'catch all'.

Sorry for being grim...

On a positive note I think I've finished Day 19 now - with no cheats. Thank Goodness. Food beckons at every corner! I keep telling myself - "Yes that looks lovely - and you can have it when you are thin, sexy, and vibrant!" Let's hope that keeps working. I wonder if there is a turning point (how many days or months?) where you finally say 'I am JUST NOT INTERESTED' or is it always a struggle??

Sorry for the down comments... I'll be better in the morning. Hubby says he'll sleep with the child so at least I can rest my back tonight without lifting him!

Here's to a better day tomorrow!

oh kacey honey. it will get better :) you are doing so fantastically well. i'm sorry to hear about your back :( would physio help it? i have a dodgy back too and i know that when it goes it GOES...

when is your official weigh in day hon? you seem to be doing so well!!

abz xx

Thank you ABZ. I have been going to accupuncture for some weeks now. It has been getting slightly, slightly better. Then BAM - yesterday, lifting the child, it went back to it's terrible situation.

It's so overwhelming because our son can not do anything alone. He falls down all the time, he cannot lift himself alone, he cannot walk alone, etc. We are so overwhelmingly drained from never having a break. We do have an extra girl to help some hours a week but she can't watch him alone. So it's either my hubby or me to be watching him 24 hrs a day. When my back is out, that puts a huge strain on my husband... And the strain ends up showing all over both of us! (He ended up cheating on his diet, drinking wine, eating I don't know what, etc. last night)

Anyway - I'm going back to physical therapist and acupuncture tomorrow. I'm so desperate! My son is having another surgery for the 3rd degree burn on his hand and arm on October 6. They will take fresh skin from his leg (the opposite leg from last time). So he will need to be carried and tended even MORE than normal that week. I'm praying for MUCH better health by that time!!! Hopefully losing this weight will take some of the pressure off the disk in my back.

Anyway - enough whining. Today is going to be a GOOD day! 25 degrees. Last great weekend of the summer, I'm sure. So we are going to try to enjoy it and soak in enough rays for the whole winter! :D

don't say it's the last great weekend of the summer!! i'm wanting some good weather when i get there!! it's been naff here!!

it sounds like you have things under control with your back as far as you can. try and take it easy honey. the more you hurt yourself the less help you are going to be in the long run... you are right though. losing weight will help. my problem is muscular, the muscles in the base of my spine spasm and trap my sciatic nerve and then i can't move around an awful lot but it hasn't been bad enough to stop me getting about for a LONG time. and i'm sure the two stone off hasn't hurt, ha.

keep your chin up babes. enjoy the sunshine :D

abz xx

Fingers crossed for good weather!!!!

Carol - I meant to comment on your post that I agree with you wholeheartedly. There are so many things here that 'work' for the society that are against the way I was brought up (Deep South!). I was told if someone mentioned the c word (ummm that would be .... shhhhh...... condom) that about 10 girls would get pregnant! Well, they did - get pregnant - but I think it was because someone DID NOT mention the c word!

So, things work here that are surprising. Legalised prostitution for example. They have a union, retirement, sick days, etc. But that keeps them away from the 'johns' and hey they deserve to retire more than anyone I can think of!!!!!!!!!!! If I brought that up back 'home' - well, let's just say we would discuss that p-word, or any other p-word, including PREGNANT - unless a girl was well and truly married before she got that way! :D

When I met my danish husband, I was 30 and he was 38. We had both been married before. I know - divorce - GASP! Anyway - I took him home to meet the family. We had to sleep in separate rooms because we weren't married you know! So - to say Scandinavia has been a shock - well, one would wonder how my poor, sweet, little, deep south, heart has survived it.

roflmao

Anyway - the 'dear diary' entry for today says.... I detect a weekend pattern of BAD moods on Sunday. I want to run away. This is sad but my son is SUCH work. He is lovely, and happy, and cheerful, and loving. But he cannot be alone for 1 single second. I cannot go to the bathroom. Well, it is quite overwhelming. And when you make plans on the weekend to do little things, like ohhh, laundry, and you can't get it done.... and then you and hubby fight because he had plans too..... well, it gets you down. But Sunday night has arrived - I see a light! And I do believe that hubby is going to work tomorrow (as opposed to working from home). That means for a very few precious hours I will be ALONE. I'm cancelling my appointments and I'm going to take a LONG, HOT, SHOWER - and maybe, just maybe - shave my legs!!!!

:rolleyes:

Kacey

hi Kacey....

Just read your diary. Your going great!!! stick in there :)

Love Nas x

Week 3 WI - 13.84 pounds lost!

YEAH! YEAH! Goal number one hit! I am under 200 pounds now. Finally! I lost 4.4 more pounds this week (not as good as many of you but I'm happy given my thyroid problem).

I managed these goals this week (for my record):
walked 60 minutes (usually 3 x 20 minutes) on 5 days
did Pilates (20 minute workout) 3 x
drank all water
took all vitamins every day
kept my diet 100% !!!

Next week (this coming week) - do same goals as above, plus add in 3 days of some very short weight training for my upper body. I got my work out bench ready yesterday. I'm tired of the bat wings under my arms!

Is it getting easier? Hmmm. Yes, some days. One thing that is working very well for me is, when that little voice (OK, sometimes very LOUD voice) says: "Hey wouldn't it be lovely to have a steak and a glass of wine" - I say back: "Yes it would - and I WILL - when I'm thin and healthy". I keep agreeing with it - just telling it that I will enjoy those foods, in moderation, when I've reached my goal. Anyway - it's working for me right now! That's what counts I guess.

On a side note.... Hubby - who has cheated several times, has not gotten on for his weekly weigh-in and has gained a kilo. He's decided that he should now EAT because why starve himself when this diet doesn't work!!! :sigh: I pointed out WHY it doesn't work - but he doesn't want to hear it. And what a grouchy bear he is about it too! I don't know how to deal with him - and dieting....

OK, well, I'm going to keep on keeping on. Week 4 - no cheating - here I come! :character00116:

Kacey

Back