Katie's journey to lose 100lb

Entropy

Day 1 - Thursday 19th April 2012 - Green Day

It is already almost lunch time and I haven't eaten anything yet, I won't make a habit out of it though! I have my teco shopping order coming tonight which will make things much easier from tomorrow as I currently don't have any fruit or vegetables in the house...

Breakfast
nothing, except some lemon squash

Lunch
Tomato, onion and herb Pasta 'n' Sauce, with some added garlic powder (yummy) and added frozen sweetcorn about 2mins before the end of cooking - gets in some superfree food, tasty! I think this will be a permanent addition to pasta 'n' sauce, using frozen peas or brocolli depending on the flavour.

Whilst that was cooking I had 1/2 tub of onken fat free strawberry yoghurt - WHICH I HAVE SINCE FOUND OUT IS NOW SYNS GRRR (3)

Dinner
Wholemeal pitta bread (HexB) pizza! With tomato puree, garlic powder (again), herbs, 30g cheese (HexA). I would usually use chopped peppers, onions and mushrooms on this but my tesco order comes in about an hour and until then I have bare minimums that I bought yesterday plus cupboard stuff from before Easter.

I know this isn't really enough food for dinner, but I'm not hungry so will probably eat again a bit later.

Later: I had some stir fried vegetables and noodles in frylight with 1/2 sachet blue dragon hoi sin and garlic sauce (4) followed by a mint skinny cow (4.5) and 1 x alpen light cherry bakewell (1/2 HexB)

later still: 3 x babybel original (1/2 HexB & HexA)

Syns total:
11 1/2 (STUPID YOGHURT)

Last edited:
Katie is very annoyed.

Day 2 - Friday 20th April 2012 - Extra Easy

Breakfast:

2 x Wholemeal bread (HexB)
5 x Bacon (just the top bit, all fat removed)
Lettuce
50g Philadelphia extra light (1/2 Hex A)

^ This made a really tasty sandwich

I also cooked some mushrooms in frylight and added garlic powder and herbs to have on the side.

Then, I have just eaten almost 1/2 pot Onken fat free mango and apple when I notice the little banner on the front saying "now with no artificial sweetneners" - I panic and RIGHTLY SO, I am so very upset that these are now 8 SYNS A TUB!!!!!! Not to mention the fact I have 4 tubs in the fridge. I can't waste them, but luckily the vanilla and strawberry are lower in syns and the other pot of mango and apple could go to my housemate when she comes back... so (4) =(

I am about to eat an apple as a snack (must rectify stupid syns) and have updated yesterdays syns accordingly.

Syns so far: 4

grr. :mad:

Last edited:
Ooo cherry bakewell alpen...i can't get any ANYWHERE, not even my tesco has it.

I ordered it from tesco online and they are yummy, makes a change from the others but I like the summer fruits and apple ones too!

Lunch - (more of a snack at 5pm!):

a banana and 2/3 of a sachet of sugar free jelly, made up with sparkling water (1)

snack:

a few spoonfuls of cottage cheese

dinner:

in the oven i have tesco light choices chicken breasts in tomato and basil sauce (1)
new potatoes roasted with frylight and spicy seasoning
i am going to boil up some broccoli, cauliflower, peas and sweetcorn to go with it

and just bought some strawberries - very tempted by the 1/2 syn roulade, also working on a VERY low syn trifle recipe for the next few days - depending on how the roulade turns out really... that can be my mission for this evening =)

syns so far: 6 (once i've eaten dinner)

So, yesterday evening after dinner I made a syn free pancake it was okay, my quark, yoghurt and strawberries filling was yummy!

Day 3 - Green day

Lunch

I didn't have breakfast today (got up way too late) so started my day with a wholemeal pitta bread (Hex B) filled with salad and cottage cheese.

Then I had a mugshot, tomato and basil flavour.

Then a couple of hours later I tried the roasted chickpeas snack recipe - they were nice but the roof of my mouth is really sore because i burnt it on my dinner yesterday so the salt and chilli and crunchy bits were really hurting it... so I mixed the rest of them in with some sundried tomato and garlic cous cous (3 1/2) which, although very tasty, is pretty high in syns for cous cous so I hope some of the lower synned flavours are as nice.

Then at some point I ate the rest of the jelly from yesterday (1/2) with some strawberries.

Dinner

which lasted until midnight - i need to get the hang of this mealtimes thing...

FREE SMASH PIZZA ah it was good, I topped mine with tomato puree, mushrooms, peppers, sweetcorn, 90g Mozzarella (2 x Hex A) AND 45g light pilgrim's choice cheddar (Hex B) plus 8 green olives (1) - did I mention how good it was? and all for 1 syn which was the olives and totally worth it they made my pizza! I would have eaten this with salad (lies, I probably wouldn't) but it was so filling.

I thought I'd go all out so for dessert I had my syn free version of cheesecake. Really it's just quark with a little vanilla essence and sweetener but its SO thick and creamy, I like to think of it as cheesecake. Actually I might even prefer it to cheesecake. Anyway it did the roof of my mouth wonders but has left me wanting to make more. I won't because i need the quark in case I can't get any more very soon. I've promised myself to make the 1/2 syn roulade once i have sufficient stocks of quark, currently rationing it.

so, today I've eaten 5 syns, contemplating this choc weetabix oaty bar for 3.5 but i'm worried it'll hurt my mouth and I won't enjoy it as much. I could go and eat 2.5 syns worth of strawberry yoghurt (stupid onken). Low on my fruit and veg today too because of chickpea roasting, laziness and comfort eating to cure hurt mouth. To be fair, the acidity of the strawberries hurt a lot, but I could have eaten that salad. Either way I was going to eat the whole pizza so it actually makes little difference (sorta). This is why Katie doesn't do Extra Easy very often. Didn't even enjoy yesterday all that much, not for what it's worth. Will only do EE when have bought cheap/tasty meat then ensure I cram in bacon sandwiches to make it worthwhile :)

Last night I finished off the strawberry yoghurt (2.5) and had a mint options (2) so my total syns were 9.5

Day 4 - Green?

Breakfast

I had one shredded wheat (2/3 Hex B) with 1/2 pot onken vanilla (2.5) and some strawberries.

Just had lunch which involved stir fried veg with extra peppers and mushrooms cooked in a teeny bit of frylight with the other half of the sauce from Thursday (4) and some noodles. Plus 2 Finn Crisp (1/3 Hex B) with a little cottage cheese whilst waiting for it to cook.

6.5 syns so far but only 1 Hex so maybe I can feel naughty and eat lots of cheese later ;)

Just popping in to say Hi, stick with it and you will soon be there. I started in August last year and have now lost 90lbs!

Hi Katie

I also have about the same to lose - started with 97lbs but i figure the extra three will be the 3lb buffer under my target. I printed off a hundred square and have been colouring it in as I lose, may sound a bit sad but there is something quite satisfying about it and it shows me how much I have lost already.

Your food diaries are looking fab - just to let you know though sweetcorn isnt superfree (unless its the baby corns) neither are peas or parsnips. This is because they contain more starch than other veg. They are still free on EE and green so can still be had.

xxxx

Hi Katie

I also have about the same to lose - started with 97lbs but i figure the extra three will be the 3lb buffer under my target. I printed off a hundred square and have been colouring it in as I lose, may sound a bit sad but there is something quite satisfying about it and it shows me how much I have lost already.

Your food diaries are looking fab - just to let you know though sweetcorn isnt superfree (unless its the baby corns) neither are peas or parsnips. This is because they contain more starch than other veg. They are still free on EE and green so can still be had.

xxxx

Hey,

The colouring squares idea is great, I could pin it to my wall by my bed as a reminder!

I know about the sweetcorn/peas/parsnips thank you though - it's a shame because I love all of these lol. I still eat lots because I figure that it's better to eat peas and sweetcorn than NO vegetables but must try harder with the broccoli!

I usually do green days so I don't fuss too much over superfree but try to get my 1/3 if I can :D

Oh, also I have more than 100lbs to lose really (more like 120-130) but I like 100 as a goal and I will be really pleased to reach it!

Hey,

The colouring squares idea is great, I could pin it to my wall by my bed as a reminder!

I know about the sweetcorn/peas/parsnips thank you though - it's a shame because I love all of these lol. I still eat lots because I figure that it's better to eat peas and sweetcorn than NO vegetables but must try harder with the broccoli!

I usually do green days so I don't fuss too much over superfree but try to get my 1/3 if I can :D

Oh, also I have more than 100lbs to lose really (more like 120-130) but I like 100 as a goal and I will be really pleased to reach it!

I know what you mean - i could eat sweetcorn with every meal. you're doing really well xx

YAY I CAN FINALLY GET ONTO SW WEBSITE

anyway, the rest of yesterday went as follows:

- 1 bag smash mixed with peas, sweetcorn, an onion, garlic, 45g mozzarella (HexA), 90g reduced fat cheddar (HexA & B) and 125ml skimmed milk (2) to make a cheese and potato pie, eaten with
- 2 quorn sausages (2)
- baked beans

- peach activia snackpot (0.5)

total syns - 11

Day 5 - Green

Skipped breakfast again (oops) so lunch: wholemeal pitta bread (HexB) with cottage cheese and salad, followed by an apple.

snack: innocent veg pot indian dahl (5.5) now don't get me wrong this was lovely but steep in syns for what is essentially a pot of vegetables and spices. Worth it now and again but begrudgingly.

dinner: Whole roasted sweet potato with 50g extra light philadelphia (1/2 HexB) and baked beans

then I went out and had 2 double vodkas with diet coke (10) and 1 alpen light bar (1/2 HexB) which considering I could have consumed 4 or more pints of beer plus some pizza or chips, was really good.

I've come back and made cous cous with cottage cheese, its nice, filling and comforting.

Must eat my Hex As and perhaps less syns and shizzle tomorrow.

total syns - 15.5

I'm worried, but I really shouldn't be because the 5-15 syns is there for a reason and trying to aim for below 10 every day isn't necessary (also 1/2 a syn over once is ok since all the other days have been well below)

I've decided that next week I am going to trial counting my syns weekly. So, to have between 70 and 105 syns in the week, or less if I want but the point of the trial is to see if I still lose. I think it would suit me much better because I can easily eat free food all the time and if I want a treat, I want quite a big treat so being able to eat a takeaway and an ice cream once a week and eat free for the rest, or have a night out and drink away 50 syns would make me happier. I just doubt the long term weight loss sustainability of that approach.

Today:

Breakfast/Lunch:

2 x Wholemeal Bread (1.5 Hex B)
Beans
2 Eggs
HP Sauce (0.5)
2 x Coffee with skimmed milk (1)

Dinner:

vegetable and bean chilli with rice
(carrots, green beans, peas, sweetcorn, onion, garlic, mushrooms, mixed beans, black eyed beans, stock cube, chopped tomatoes, passata, herbs & spices)

diet energy drink

EE DAY

Breakfast/Lunch

2 Quorn sausages (2)
Baked beans
mushrooms
2 eggs in frylight
1 Hash brown (1.5)
3 rashers bacon with fat cut off
tbsp brown sauce (1)
coffee with milk (1/2)

asda pasta and sauce arrabiatta

sausage casserole - 2 tesco light choices cumberland sausages (2)
bacon
butter beans
lentils
passata
vegetables
pasta

muller light
muller fat free greek style coconut (0.5)

2 babybel (hex a)
bear yoyo (1/2 hex b)
hifi light bar (1/2 hex b)

total syns (7.5)

yay asda order coming tomorrow so I'll have more food!!

Last edited:
Jacket potato with baked beans and 45g reduced fat cheddar (HexA)

Tesco roasted vegetable flavour couscous (3.5) with onion and chive cottage cheese

activia greek style summer berries (2.5) with blueberries

smash pizza with mozzerella and reduced fat cheddar (HexA + 2HexB), peppers, sweetcorn, mushrooms and 8 olives (1)

total syns = 7

Last edited:
breakfast (weird breakfast yes but breakfast all the same)

tesco mediterranean style cous cous (2) with cottage cheese and black pepper

snack:

1/2 tub quark with 1/2 jar doritos mild salsa poured over (2.5), eaten with carrot sticks and 3 Finn Crisp (1/2 HexB)

lunch:

pasta with 1tbsp pesto (3), 50g feta cheese (Hex A) and 8 olives (1)

dinner:

SW chips, 3 Linda McCartney sausages (6), beans, 45g reduced fat cheddar (HexB), mayonnaise (no idea how much i had)

apple yoyo (1/2 hexB)

syns (14.5 + mayonnaise)

1 HexA and 2 HexB

Last edited:
Back