Ketosis question

kirstymc

Happy Sunday everyone

Just a question about ketosis (sorry if its been asked a zillion times before). I am on day 4 of CD and have been regulary using the ketostix - (I am obsessed) to see the change. Well its showing as 'trace'. Is this where it should be? Just wondering how dark it normally should be if you are drinking enough water and sticking to the plan properly?

Hi,

First time round I lost 5stone and it only ever said 'trace' so I gave up with them after a couple of weeks. I can tell when I am in ketosis now - my mouth tastes of metal, my cheekbones start to ache (makes no sense!) and I am always cold. Oh and you don't get hungry :)

If you are following the plan to the letter then you should be in ketosis about now I would have thought :)

Maxie

Thanks MaxieP! I dont feel hungry so that must be a good sign

Ketostix aren't designed to test for ketosis, only for excess ketones (ketones not used by the body), so for ketosis, they are unreliable.

My guide to reading the stix
Beige: you may or may not be in ketosis (but probably are if you are sticking to the plan and past day 4)
Pink: you may or may not be in ketosis (but probably are if you are sticking to the plan)
Purple: You may or may not be dehydrated

Top tip from me: Chuck the stix. Don't buy anymore. Save money. Buy clothes :)

Hey KD, thanks for you reply. I think you are right about throwing them! I also think I need to throw my scales out the window - They changed every five minutes! lol.

No clothes buying until I loose some pounds :)

LOL with the scales. No don't chuck them. I'm a firm believer in the benefits of being at peace with the scales ;)

BTW, the sticks, I never got a pink recording once. Beige all the way :D Boring me :p

Ha ha maybe I will invest in some decent scales. I am a bit obsessive though jumping on and off them all day long! he he he!

You lost 8 stone?? Thats amazing! I cant wait to get weighed and get this loosing weight show on the road!

if your going to weigh then do it once a day at the same time if the changing numbers bother you as you weigh heavier after drinking, after having a shake etc

Kirsty I am in week 4 now. My first week I got trace on day 5 or 6, it wasnt till the second week I got a darker colour on the keto stix ..... now I dont test .... happy that everything is going to plan. At the end of the day ketosis or not if you are losing weight and not feeling the need to eat/cheat then you are pretty much where you want to be. Also my cdc said if you are drinking lots then the ketones may be diluted more so you have a less colour.

Back