Ketosis Question

coogee

Morning all!

Just by way of introduction, I've done Cambridge in the past with some success but not for a long time time now. I've now been on S&S for a week.... but yesterday I went to the Food and Drink Expo to look for new suppliers for my shop, I drove down there with great determination but got there and ended up sampling some of the products on offer (well... come on how can i sell to my customers if I don't know what it tastes like haha!) anyway... today I feel thoroughly disgusted with myself and am straight back on the wagon.

So... on the scales this morning Ive gained 3lbs from yesterday morning. Now the food that I ate can't of physically weighed more than 1lb, I know that the alb with be Glycogen and not fat... but what on earth is Glycogen???? How can it be heavier than the food itself??? I just don't get it!!!

My brain has a very literal way of thinking and it doesn't add up to me. I'm just interested to see if anyone can explain?

Many thanks!

Welcome! Glycogen is not heavier than the food itself but there are 3 parts water to 1 part glycogen so as soon as your body starts to store glycogen it will store water along with it that results in a weight gain. A litre of water weighs 1KG (over 2lbs) so that's where the weight gain comes from. People generally find that they gain around half a stone when they come out of ketosis due to the corresponding water gain. The good news of course is that you will lose it very quickly again once you go back into ketosis :)

Ahhhhh... well that makes sense, thanks Borders!

Firmly back on track today and feeling GREAT!
xx

oooo i have a ketosis quistion too!i dont think im in ketosis i.e. no bad breath feeling shattered and hungry all the time! not that ive caved or anything but im just wondering what im doing wrong?! the only think im doing diffently is having unsweetened soya milk instead of normal milk which is lower in eveything than skim and having the wahoo water flavourings.
i just read the box and seen that they have citric acid in them, now as they were indorsed by s & s i suumed they wouldnt have ooops does that mean i cant have them? i have them in my 1.5l water bottle twice daily, so 3l of the stuff? could this affect

Hi Bridie - everyone is different with citric acid. You could try cutting the flavourings out for a week and see if it makes any difference. Are you having the 4 a day or 3 and protein? Are ypu having the veg and sticking with the list and within the limits - you may be very carb sensitinve and having too many for you. You can still get hungry with ketosis but it should be satisfied with your packs. Maybe try splitting them so you are having half a pack every couple of hours.
Just noticed you are very close to your goal - I think a vlcd is harder the nearer you are to goal. Could you be aiming too low?

some days i have 4 some i have 3 and the protien! i like to mix it up to surprise my body lol! i do have the veg and stick to the list and weigh it religeously mostly have spinach and occasionally celery broccoli and cauli. mmm i suppose im never ravenous and the packs to satisfy me but maybe its because im so close im getting complacent and just wanting to eat rather than needing to! thanks for the advice will cut out the flavourings for a bit see if that helps :) as i only have 1 and a half weeks to go before i move on to diet chef to refeed i think im getting prematurely excited about eat normal foods lol!

ahhh - so it's probably psychological hunger not physical - best of luck and remember you'll soon be eating yummy food!! Have you tried diet chef before? I was wondering what their food is like

lol yea just had to train myself to not get food excitement untill a few weeks time!!
i havent personally tried it but i have a friend who has and she did it after a vlcd and she said after that it felt like heaven lol! and if you like these packet type meals im sure you will like those! one im on them in a week and a half il review them for you if you like x

I never reached ketosis (I am still hungry, shattered and no bad breath etc). And I have had to learn to deal with it. The hunger is not massively intrusive so I just drink more water or coffee until the rumbles get quieter or until its time to eat again.

I was really bothered about it for the first 2 weeks, but now I'm 5 weeks in I've given up expecting the hunger to go away. It hopefully wont be too long now anyway and the hunger hasnt killed me yet, so I imagine I wont die from it anytime soon.

I feel like I have lost loads (1st monthly weigh in this coming saturday) even without ketosis, so I'm not bothered about getting or staying there now. :D

azlan said:
ooh - Kiika - bet you can't wait to see how much you've lost!! You have amazing willpower to stay away from the scales this long

Yeah im dying to find out!!! :D i was in boots the other day and was so tempted to jump on their scales! Lol!! But I've only got 5 sleeps to go now! Hahaha! I'm hoping for at least 10lbs (but more would be amazing!!).

It is surprisingly stress free to lose weight without actually weighing. I'm so used to weighing everyday so it's really refreshing just to rely on how my clothes feel! :)

Welcome! Glycogen is not heavier than the food itself but there are 3 parts water to 1 part glycogen so as soon as your body starts to store glycogen it will store water along with it that results in a weight gain. A litre of water weighs 1KG (over 2lbs) so that's where the weight gain comes from. People generally find that they gain around half a stone when they come out of ketosis due to the corresponding water gain. The good news of course is that you will lose it very quickly again once you go back into ketosis :)

Does this mean that one has to work to half a stone below target before coming out of ketosis at the end of this diet???

Does this mean that one has to work to half a stone below target before coming out of ketosis at the end of this diet???
it would seem that you do! well between 4-7lbs

update ive stopped the water flavourings and gone to one that has malic acid and the food cravings have gone!! wooo still no bad breath but i guess im just lucky and dont get it lol yay!! only 3and 1/2 days lef untill my weigh in sat morning! fingers crossed i have lost the 2lbs i put on last week plus an extra couple!

Back