Attack Ketosis

Wheelndeal77

Hi everyone,

Bought myself some ketostix this morning on my 15th day of the Dukan diet.
Have a question. When is the best time to test for ketosis?
I did a test this morning after I bought the stix, it was before I'd eaten or drank anything. The result was negative, I'm not in ketosis. Can anyone give me some tips about testing for ketosis? Thanks!!!

I have never ever heard the doctor suggest we test for ketosis. Haven't we wasted enough money on the diet "industry"?

If you're following the rules, you'll get there. It's a light ketosis. Watch your dairy (particularly sugary yoghurts) if you're concerned.

But few if any here (oldtimers at least) have ever bothered.

Maintainer said:
I have never ever heard the doctor suggest we test for ketosis. Haven't we wasted enough money on the diet "industry"?

If you're following the rules, you'll get there. It's a light ketosis. Watch your dairy (particularly sugary yoghurts) if you're concerned.

But few if any here (oldtimers at least) have ever bothered.

Ahh ok. Everyone keeps talking about being in ketosis and what your mouth taste like etc and I can't notice so I thought I'd test to b sure it's working and I am in fact in ketosis. Guess I wanted proof to say I'm in some sort of fat burning mode. I'm only in my 3rd week. I've lost weight but maybe I'm a little impatient lol. Especially because I've had a 700g unexplained gain in the past few days. I don't eat sugary yoghurts. In fact I don't eat alot of yogurt at all. I eat a tiny amount each day. Usually no fat natural as a marinade or dip. Thanks anyway.

Are you posting your menus? Frankly, if you're not hungry, and finding this diet "easy", then you're where you need to be... Weight "gains" can be due to so many other factors (cycle, "transit issues", too salty foods, water retention due to heat, not drinking enough, too many packaged foods), so keep posting your menus in the thread provided and we'll keep an eye on that side of things for you.

Good luck!

The Dukan breakthrough may well be the discovery of a diet that induces "periodic ketosis" - that is, just enough carbs to keep us dipping in and out of a light ketosis over the course of the day, so avoiding the major side effects of Atkins (headache, bad breath) while still burning fat (particular over night and on pp days).

So the stick may or may not work, depending on the day, time and, as someone mentioned upthread, the amount of water you are drinking.

I tend to agree - the sticks are a waste of cash that could be spent on food!

Atropos said:
The Dukan breakthrough may well be the discovery of a diet that induces "periodic ketosis" - that is, just enough carbs to keep us dipping in and out of a light ketosis over the course of the day, so avoiding the major side effects of Atkins (headache, bad breath) while still burning fat (particular over night and on pp days).

So the stick may or may not work, depending on the day, time and, as someone mentioned upthread, the amount of water you are drinking.

I tend to agree - the sticks are a waste of cash that could be spent on food!

Thanks atropos! I totally understand now. Appreciate your help.

Nothing wrong with using ketostix as an extra tool in your quiver. I use them for extra motivation and it works for me. If you use them wheel use them about 2 hours after a meal for best results. If you have been drinking tons of water the results will be skewed so don't be down hearted if the result shows negative, as has been said above you will more than likely be in ketosis anyway.

Back