Ketotic deficiet?

bellefrogette

Silver Member
Hi there, speaking of ketosis, does anyone have an fair idea what the margin of difference between calorie-intake and calorie-use is to create ketosis?

At 500 cal a day SS ketosis is guaranteed, but this is assuming no exercise or real change in activity levels? So I am assuming a seadatory persons body needs about 1,500- 2,000 calories a day before it will start looking at its reserves?

Belle

Ketosis has nothing to do with calories. It's comes about when carb levels are sufficiently low.

You can have 6,000 kcal and be in ketosis. You wont lose weight mind you, as weight loss depends on calorie intake.

Hi KD, in which case maybe put another way, what is the calorific imbalance that VLCD use to create weight loss ? Assuming a restricted carb intake.

Although it would not be healthy I suppose a person eating only 415 of carbs per day would also be in ketosis before long?

Belle

Yes, the calorie deficit on Cambridge ensures weight loss.

The ketogenic factor just makes it easier with the reduction of hunger and cravings.

Although it would not be healthy I suppose a person eating only 415 of carbs per day would also be in ketosis before long?

415 g of carbs? or 415 kcals?

415g and they definitely wouldn't be in ketosis.

415kcals and they probably would. It would depend on what macronutrients made up that 415kcals as to whether they lived or not to see the benefit of weight loss. But assuming they lived...yes, would probably see a weight loss, though it may be lean mass rather than fat....again, would depend on whether they were getting enough to protect the lean etc

Yes, the calorie deficit on Cambridge ensures weight loss.

The ketogenic factor just makes it easier with the reduction of hunger and cravings.

415 g of carbs? or 415 kcals?

415g and they definitely wouldn't be in ketosis.

415kcals and they probably would. It would depend on what macronutrients made up that 415kcals as to whether they lived or not to see the benefit of weight loss. But assuming they lived...yes, would probably see a weight loss, though it may be lean mass rather than fat....again, would depend on whether they were getting enough to protect the lean etc

ok, last question for now ..what did you mean by 'protecting the lean etc'..because this seems to be the scientific area of concern with VLCD... Lean what ? Muscle ? And why would the body try to burn lean muscle when it has fat to burn as fuel?

if there is a scientific paper etc /CD web page regarding this a link would be fine, thanks .

Belle.

ok, last question for now ..what did you mean by 'protecting the lean etc'..

Stopping too much loss of everything that your body is made of, excluding fat. With every weight reducing diet their will be some loss of lean. Too much is dangerous.

And why would the body try to burn lean muscle when it has fat to burn as fuel?
Can't remember exactly, just that it does. Would need to search my papers and no time at the mo.

if there is a scientific paper etc /CD web page regarding this a link would be fine, thanks .

Belle.

I'm sure there are plenty on pubmed. Have a little google :)

Back