Ketoveggie - Sunday Scores on The Doors / Diary

Day 18
Woke up with an incredibly sore throat this morning which seemed to come totally out of nowhere. My neck glands are all swollen too. :(
Reading up on so called 'keto flu' it could be down to not enough sodium or that PH levels are too low. Apparently correcting this can see really fast improvements.
Will up my salt intake today and have a tsp of ACV in a glass of water and hopefully that will sort it out.

Last edited:
I'm doing a vlcd - and it's good to see your progress here. Your fuzzy tongue is also probably keto related. I hope more salt is helping you. You'll also find it helpful to drink more water, and also potassium, and magnesium supplements can help. If you take calcium supplements, take the potassium and magnesium in the am and calcium in the evening. Feel better soon!

I'm doing a vlcd - and it's good to see your progress here. Your fuzzy tongue is also probably keto related. I hope more salt is helping you. You'll also find it helpful to drink more water, and also potassium, and magnesium supplements can help. If you take calcium supplements, take the potassium and magnesium in the am and calcium in the evening. Feel better soon!

Hi Ali,

Thanks for the advice! :)

Happy to report fuzzy tongue has now cleared. I'm getting better as the days progress with my water consumption. Not tried a potassium sups ( will have a read up on it) Magnesium I gave up on as it was going straight through me ( Citrate ) I have been meaning to get a more gentle form, so thank you for that, I'll put it on my list. As for Calcium tablets, I do have some which I was supplementing with of an evening to balance out the Iron I was taking in the morning. I stopped taking those when I finished the 3 month iron course. I shall dig them out and start taking them again. :)

I do take a daily vegetarian multi vit, a B complex, probiotics and D3. I probably rattle. :classic_big_grin:
I've been considering adding some Biotin to the list to combat any hair loss which may occur on this diet. My hair went very thin when I was iron deficient and it's only just improving now.

How are you finding meal planning on low carb?

Last edited:
Sharp reminder yesterday that 600cals is providing absolute minimum energy.
Spent a couple of hours gardening and felt completely worn out to the point where I had to go inside and take a power nap.
Not something I ever do of an afternoon!
Was actually a really refreshing 20 min nod. Woke up feeling restored. Power naps are cool! :classic_big_grin:

It really is something you don't notice until you do too much! I agree power naps are the best too!

Yeah, I think they could become my new favourite thing. Haha!

How are things going for you at the moment? :)

How are you finding meal planning on low carb?
I'm not planning a lot. And actually that's why I didn't stick with LCHF/keto meals - I wasn't planning enough. For my current keto vlcd, I only buy veggies/salad/fruit that's on the approved list. The higher carb list (includes tomatoes, strawberries, swedes, white onion and more) are max of 200g total a day. I had some lovely sprouting broccolli at lunchtime, cut into pieces with a horrible spaghetti bolognese. Unrecognisable! I only had one spag bol sachet = thank goodness.

Supper was chicken nugget sachet with pepper and ground chilli, cooked ommlette style, with a little bit of onion and lots of celery. The chopped celery was really nice. I'm having hot choc for most other meals (usually cold, and yesterday, blitzed with water and ice - very cooling). I had pancake and choc sauce yesterday. The sauce is not so chocolatey - but good with the pancake. I'll have one or two savoury sachets a day. I have some soups to try. The others mostly hot choc plus a coconut and orange/pineapple to try. Sorry - a rambling response!

Edited to add: Trews a little looser already! I'm a daily weigher so good to see scales ticking down.

I'm not planning a lot. And actually that's why I didn't stick with LCHF/keto meals - I wasn't planning enough. For my current keto vlcd, I only buy veggies/salad/fruit that's on the approved list. The higher carb list (includes tomatoes, strawberries, swedes, white onion and more) are max of 200g total a day. I had some lovely sprouting broccolli at lunchtime, cut into pieces with a horrible spaghetti bolognese. Unrecognisable! I only had one spag bol sachet = thank goodness.

Supper was chicken nugget sachet with pepper and ground chilli, cooked ommlette style, with a little bit of onion and lots of celery. The chopped celery was really nice. I'm having hot choc for most other meals (usually cold, and yesterday, blitzed with water and ice - very cooling). I had pancake and choc sauce yesterday. The sauce is not so chocolatey - but good with the pancake. I'll have one or two savoury sachets a day. I have some soups to try. The others mostly hot choc plus a coconut and orange/pineapple to try. Sorry - a rambling response!

Edited to add: Trews a little looser already! I'm a daily weigher so good to see scales ticking down.

That's my issue at the moment, looking long term into sustaining a ketogenic diet when I'm having to plan my own meals without relying on shakes. Probably easier for meat eaters to find a good balance. That's why I'm considering going pescatarian ( just not sure I could stomach it, hmm)
I tried a chocolate shake hot for my 3rd 'meal' last night and it wasn't too bad. I would probably have it hot again.

Really good feeling when clothes start feeling looser. It makes all the dieting feel worth while.

Hey!
Six weeks into VLCD today and 24lbs lighter! So all good here. I'm getting a bit bored with the packets and looking forward to the end of next week when I can eat a meal a day too 😁

24lbs in 6 weeks is a brilliant job. In fact, your total stats really are amazing, and so close to 6st down, I bet that 1lb was so frustrating last time you weighed in. You've probably got there by now?

I've got my week 4 coming up on Monday. Looking forward to my weigh- in tomorrow. Although, I've already updated a 1lb loss from the middle of the week. Haha! - I'm not sure I've lost any more than that, but I can hope! :classic_big_grin:

Looking forward with a bit of trepidation that I can still lose weight while adding to the three shakes next week and that I can go back to 3 shakes without struggling, the week after.

24lbs in 6 weeks is a brilliant job. In fact, your total stats really are amazing, and so close to 6st down, I bet that 1lb was so frustrating last time you weighed in. You've probably got there by now?

I've got my week 4 coming up on Monday. Looking forward to my weigh- in tomorrow. Although, I've already updated a 1lb loss from the middle of the week. Haha! - I'm not sure I've lost any more than that, but I can hope! :classic_big_grin:

Looking forward with a bit of trepidation that I can still lose weight while adding to the three shakes next week and that I can go back to 3 shakes without struggling, the week after.
Lol, that elusive pound is still there this morning (#daily weigher!).
Thanks, it's taken a while, I wish I'd pumped for VLCD earlier, I was just always a bit wary of them in relation to getting all the nutrition one needs and how sustainable they are long term.
But, with the recent research indicating that they are safe and the fact that I now know low carb works for me as a diet to go back to when I'm finished with my Exante magic dust, I'm so pleased that I did finally try them out.
I love a LCHF diet and am looking forward to going back to it. I would tend to agree, it must be quite hard to do it as a veggie?
How strict are you? do you eat rennet? Although I'm sure that cheese (and too much nutbutters ☺️) was what slowed down my loss before I switched to VLCD 😂.
Eggs are so versatile, could you get most of your protein from eggs? After a while of low carbing, we relied heavily on eggs.
Have a great weekend!

Lol, that elusive pound is still there this morning (#daily weigher!).
Thanks, it's taken a while, I wish I'd pumped for VLCD earlier, I was just always a bit wary of them in relation to getting all the nutrition one needs and how sustainable they are long term.
But, with the recent research indicating that they are safe and the fact that I now know low carb works for me as a diet to go back to when I'm finished with my Exante magic dust, I'm so pleased that I did finally try them out.
I love a LCHF diet and am looking forward to going back to it. I would tend to agree, it must be quite hard to do it as a veggie?
How strict are you? do you eat rennet? Although I'm sure that cheese (and too much nutbutters ☺️) was what slowed down my loss before I switched to VLCD 😂.
Eggs are so versatile, could you get most of your protein from eggs? After a while of low carbing, we relied heavily on eggs.
Have a great weekend!

"Exante magic dust!!" haha! love it!

I was Vegan prior to starting the shakes, so I'd say I was a pretty strict veggie, lol! ( shakes have powdered cows milk) I know I need to be more open with variety but I really do struggle.
With meat, all I see is a dead animal on a plate who very probably died terrified and I can't get past that. So I don't think I could eat meat.
Eggs! Hmm, as a veggie I would eat things that contained egg but the thought of eating an egg that looked like an egg really put me off, but I am going to try to include eggs into my diet as I know I need to compromise a lot with myself if I am to stick with low carb and I've already decided to include real cheese. :)

The biggest decision for me is, can I compromise with myself enough to include fish into my diet. I know if I did it would make HFLC much, much easier to do.

Last edited:
22/07/18

Week 3

2lbs - Gone!

Ahh! Just missed reaching the 1 stone loss. 13lbs total in 3weeks. I can't be unhappy about that.

Roll on week 4! Food week. :eek:

I'm looking for a bit of advice of whether I should continue with TS now that my BMI is under 30.

I'm wondering if it would be ok to stick with it until I reach a BMI of 25 or do I need to switch to another programme?
Would I see better results if I upped my calorie intake to say 800cals?

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Sian x

Last edited:
22/07/18

Week 3

2lbs - Gone!

Ahh! Just missed reaching the 1 stone loss. 13lbs total in 3weeks. I can't be unhappy about that.

Well done! And good luck, no advice here but defo will keep track here for when I get my bmi down hopefully x

Well done! And good luck, no advice here but defo will keep track here for when I get my bmi down hopefully x

Thanks ever so much, Comet. :)

I've decided with it being my food week that I'm going to have 2 shakes and a 400cal meal and see what difference that makes to the weight loss next Sunday. If all is good then I may extend it for a second week to see how it goes. Not a fixed plan, but I'm loosely thinking that's what I may try.

I'm very mindful that if the cals are too low at 600 now that my BMI has reduced, it may have a negative effect with the weight loss.
Hopefully, someone has already gone through this dilemma on the forum and can share what worked for them with us. :)

Sian x

I'm looking for a bit of advice of whether I should continue with TS now that my BMI is under 30.

I'm wondering if it would be ok to stick with it until I reach a BMI of 25 or do I need to switch to another programme?
Would I see better results if I upped my calorie intake to say 800cals?

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Sian x
My BMI was under 30 right from the start. Ill carry on like this until i reach my goal altogether, unless anything happens in the mean time to convince me to raise to the man plan instead.
The exante Man Plan with 800cals per day is specifically aimed at people under 30BMI. I think you can go either way and still lose about 1st a month. Ive decides to stick to 600 but if I feel poorly I will increase to 800. I think its vv specific to everyone how they react on 600 when they reach this stage.

22/07/18

Week 3

2lbs - Gone!

Fantastic, Keto!!!

Well done!

I remember from doing Cambridge that once you get a stone from goal your body needs food and more activity. So I plan on getting into the 11s upping my calories to 1000 and running more, spin class and body pump. If you don’t switch it up with food your body thinks it is in starvation and won’t loose.

Well done!

I remember from doing Cambridge that once you get a stone from goal your body needs food and more activity. So I plan on getting into the 11s upping my calories to 1000 and running more, spin class and body pump. If you don’t switch it up with food your body thinks it is in starvation and won’t loose.
That's interesting...ill check it out some more and see if i want to start upping a bit maybe once i am 1 stone away from goal. Im not sure how 600 will work once im in the normal BMI range but i will give it a try and decide again after 2 weeks or so. Once i see that i maintain for 2 weeks continuously, that might end up being my cue....id also enjoy working out more but ill do more than 2per week once im on more calories

Back