Knitting or crochet?

I love knitting, always have a project on the go. Have decided to finish all my WIPs this year. About half way through at the moment, so not bad. I can crochet but everything turns out misshapen. Not sure what Im doing wrong!

I love knitting, always have a project on the go. Have decided to finish all my WIPs this year. About half way through at the moment, so not bad. I can crochet but everything turns out misshapen. Not sure what Im doing wrong!
well when I first started crochet I had the same problem, I found it was my tension or skipping/making extra stitches - that may be it.

There is an absolutely fantastic knitting and crochet forum that I recommend you join. As well as a huge range of online groups (even a SW one!) and forums there is pattern database with tonnes of free patterns

www.ravelry.com

i knitted loads of cardigans and jumpers when my eldest was a baby and i knitted zilch for my other two boys. bad mum.
i keep getting my needles out and then putting them away. i do like knitting though. i have found since all the "celebrities" have started doing this, it has got a lot more expensive.

There is an absolutely fantastic knitting and crochet forum that I recommend you join. As well as a huge range of online groups (even a SW one!) and forums there is pattern database with tonnes of free patterns

www.ravelry.com

Thanks for the link Circles x

I love to knit, sew, cross stitch and always have a few projects on the go at any one time - but need to learn to crochet next! I keep being referred to some apparently fab tutorials on youtube but just need a few hours uninterupted to give it a go! I'm sure I was taught as a child but its the one that I have no memory of now!

I really miss the wool shops we used to have. You could get all the wool put by and then buy a couple of balls a week.

Thanks for the link Circles x

I love to knit, sew, cross stitch and always have a few projects on the go at any one time - but need to learn to crochet next! I keep being referred to some apparently fab tutorials on youtube but just need a few hours uninterupted to give it a go! I'm sure I was taught as a child but its the one that I have no memory of now!

I learnt from You Tube, just watch that there is 2 styles, UK and US. most of the stuff on You Tube is US, so if your reading a UK pattern you will need to translate it! got us in right muddle to start with

I really miss the wool shops we used to have. You could get all the wool put by and then buy a couple of balls a week.

I remember that too judimac, in fact my mum was manager of just such a place ;)

I do all sorts of crafts - knitting, crocheting, needlepoint, cross-stitch, patchwork and quilting.

And this is one of my favourite crocheting blogs
Attic24

Oh Circes what an incredible blog!! :wow: I spent ages this afternoon going through it. What a joy to read too, and so entertaining. A lady I would really love to know personally :character00238: It's great to see the crafts others have done particularly when they're done well.
I can do lots of crafts but haven't done very much for quite some time. I did make the effort before last Christmas to crochet some parcel toppers & simple tree decorations to be sold at the Nursery Christmas Fair.
I can't do cross stitch anymore because I can't see well enough but I did used to do cards for friends and family. I particularly enjoy crochet and Attic24 may just have given me the push to get all hookie again ;)

I love knitting, I keep saying to myself I'm going to try learning crochet from youtube, but I've just not got round to it yet.

I bought quite a bit of lovely wool from ebay at a reasonable price.

I've also downloaded lots of free knitting patterns from here www.knittingpatterncentral.com

Wow Capricorn & Honey you've both made some wonderful things, so lovely;)

I learnt from You Tube, just watch that there is 2 styles, UK and US. most of the stuff on You Tube is US, so if your reading a UK pattern you will need to translate it! got us in right muddle to start with

Cheers Honey, I'll bear that in mind xxx

Oh Circes what an incredible blog!! :wow: I spent ages this afternoon going through it. What a joy to read too, and so entertaining. A lady I would really love to know personally :character00238: It's great to see the crafts others have done particularly when they're done well.
I can do lots of crafts but haven't done very much for quite some time. I did make the effort before last Christmas to crochet some parcel toppers & simple tree decorations to be sold at the Nursery Christmas Fair.
I can't do cross stitch anymore because I can't see well enough but I did used to do cards for friends and family. I particularly enjoy crochet and Attic24 may just have given me the push to get all hookie again ;)

Glad you liked it! That's what happened to me last year - I hadn't crocheted for years but after coming across her wonderful blog I'm smitten again. :D

Glad you liked it! That's what happened to me last year - I hadn't crocheted for years but after coming across her wonderful blog I'm smitten again. :D

What sort of things do you like to make Circes? I noticed Lucy's blankets are smooth, do you think she irons them or might it be the thread she uses? I actually can't wait for the opportunity to get to a wool shop :D

I don't imagine she irons them. A lot of the more recent blankets were done using Stylecraft DK (a great wool by the way and dirt cheap) which is acrylic and if you iron it, the wool would melt. The older ones are done with Rowan Cotton (more expensive) and cotton yarn has a smooth finish which may be what you are seeing.

Here are a few websites where you can buy the wool Lucy has been using recently - lots of great colours to brighten up a dull day!

Stylecraft Special DK
Rico Creative Cotton Knitting Yarn
Rowan Handknit Cotton DK from McA direct

The third link is for McAree Brothers - if you ever get a bit further south they have shops in Stirling, Falkirk and Edinburgh and are well worth a visit.

I'm am ashamed to say that I have loads of projects on the go - for both crocheting and quilting :eek: - way too many UFOs (unfinished objects)! But of the Lucy patterns, I am about two thirds of the way through a monster-sized granny stripes, I'm nearly finished the Lucy bag, and I would really like to do the star decorations.

I'm also doing some some african flower hexagons like these Flickr: The Crochet Hexagon Love Pool

And one of these
GoCrochet: Sunny Spread to Sand dollar

Let us know how you get on with your crochet! :)

OMG, I'm almost drooling! Sad I know, but I haven't felt so excited about starting something creative for such a long time. My LO will be having sides removed from cotbed soon and as I'm not keen on duvets I'd love to make him a special blankie for his cosiness, hoping it will make the transition easier :fingerscrossed: He has extra support needs and not making too many changes is very important, so if he sees me making it.... ? Here's hoping anyway.
Got to go out now but will be looking through your links later. Many Thanks Circes :D:D

Back