**Laura Bella's diary** From SW TO CD wish me luck lol

Laurie

MM addict
Hi all my names Laura and i have never done the SW diet before.
I've been doing WW at home for a while but really fancy a change.
I would like to know the best way to get started.
I cant really afford to go to meetings so was wondering if the diet can be done @ home?
I would really like some help please.
Maybe i should go to a meeting to get all the info i need, i dont know? Any advice please
Thanks

Hiya hun,

You've said it yourself.... go to the meeting, get the stuff and stay for image therapy and then go it alone if you want to.

A lovely lady called Claire (look at her diary) does SW on her own, and she has done fantastically well, you'll get all the help and support you'll need from this site......... so go, go, go (to get your books)!!

Best of luck x

Yeah you could go to class and get the books, i think it is 9.50 for first week, you never know, you might like it and stay on. Or you could get the pack from ebay (make sure you get the most up to date one if you do this). Or you could join online, but it is quite expensive i think it is about 60 quid, but not sure you would need to check that.

Whatever you decide to do good luck, it is a really good plan and i know that there are a few people on this forum who do it alone and have great losses.

If you go get all the stuff and get your head round the plan, that's probably best. Although it's not mega complicated, there are still loads of questions you'll have (what you can/can't eat, how many syns etc). There's lots of support and people who know what they're doing on here, so you'll find answers to lots of your questions.

I am also going it alone :)

Thank you all, for your advice. I have decided to go to a meeting tonight otherwise i'll be putting it off until god knows when!
I did ww from home straight away but that was quite straight forward. There seems to be a lot more involved in SW but i guess once you're all read up it becomes second nature!
I will report back let you know how i get on.
Thanks again guys
X

Thank you all, for your advice. I have decided to go to a meeting tonight otherwise i'll be putting it off until god knows when!
I did ww from home straight away but that was quite straight forward. There seems to be a lot more involved in SW but i guess once you're all read up it becomes second nature!
I will report back let you know how i get on.
Thanks again guys
X

Hi Laurie!

:welcome:

Good luck at class tonight. It truly is a great plan. Don't forget to come to us for advice as you get started.

The food diary threads should also be a big help!
x

well im back from my 1st class...
all went well, everyone was very friendly.
After saying earlier i only wanted the pack and then wanted to be left alone to do it myself i think i've changed my mind!
The diet seems a lot more complicated than WW so im gonna need all the help from my fellow class members as well as every1 on here!...
It's not going to break the bank going once a week and whats more i can go straight from work on a Monday night.
The meeting seemed to go on for ages 2 hours in fact.
So now im frantically trying to work out a plan of action for tomorrow!
I think once i've planned the next few days food out it'll be a lot easier.
Just one question i logged onto the slimming world web site and worked out some syn values i was wondering if you can buy a little calculator so you can take it round the shops with you. I had one on WW and it was very handy.
Thank you all for your support no doubt ill be on here a lot asking lots of questions
XXX

Welcome to SW :D

The first bit of advice I would give you is to switch WW off in your head. I know it's hard when that's what you've been doing. I'm not anti-WW but SW is completely different. The biggest difference is that on WW everything has a point value, but SW has loads and loads of free foods, so even at the end of the day, if you're hungry you can still have something to eat. No running out of points and going to bed early ;)

Read through your free food lists for red days and green days so you are familiar with what's free for each type of day. You can have as much of the free foods as you like.. and I mean as much as you like.

Decide which day you're going to do (it does help to plan in advance) and pick your Healthy Extra's (HE) then your free foods and use your syns on the stuff you like to treat yourself with.

SW doesn't do a calculator like WW basically because there are so many free foods. But if you go on the website and use the syns online rather than the calculator, you'll find it quite easy to find out what syns something has. All you need to do is type in the product brand or where it came from (Asda, Aldi, Tesco etc) and put in a keyword for the food. You'll get a list of choices and click on it for the syns.

The girls on this board are great at helping with how many syns something is, but there's also a sticky at the top of the board with food syn questions.

What sort of things would you be wanting as syns? We should be able to help you get your head around it.

Another difference you'll find is that the ready meals are sometimes quite high in syns. You're best off going for loads of lean meat and veg on a red day or potatoes and pasta etc on a green day.

Good luck and if you have any more questions, just ask. They're a great bunch on here :D

Thank you for your advice.
You have done so well, the diet must really suit you!
I found it quite hard planning my meals last night, i came home from class @ 8pm and didnt have enough time to go through all the books. Although this morning i was up bright and early and have sorted today out. I think planning is most definitely the key, this afternoon im going to plan out the next few days meals!
I do have a few more questions today.
-Is there a recommended wholemeal loaf? we have hovis and 57g works out at 1 slice.
-Can i have any variety of Special K as my HEB?
-I would most probably be using my syns for sauces , but i have a real sweet tooth. What little bars of chocolate are have lower syn values?

Thats about it i think, Once i've worked out what im eating im going to pop to ASDA and stock up on a few essential bits.

Im off for breakfast, today its 2 boiled eggs and a slice of wholemeal toast.

XXX

Welcome Hun.....I have done both WW and SW and prefer SW. After a while you will find that SW is more straight forward as there is a lot less weighing out and planning, the food variety is fantastic and the support from us SW girls on here is second to none!
Unfortunately I dont eat bread and very rarely chocolate, but I am sure there is someone in here that will post the answers for you. Also have a look at the food diary thread section to give you some ideas.

Good luck with your journey.

Kerry-Ann
xx

Thank you for your advice.
You have done so well, the diet must really suit you!
I found it quite hard planning my meals last night, i came home from class @ 8pm and didnt have enough time to go through all the books. Although this morning i was up bright and early and have sorted today out. I think planning is most definitely the key, this afternoon im going to plan out the next few days meals!
I do have a few more questions today.
-Is there a recommended wholemeal loaf? we have hovis and 57g works out at 1 slice.
-Can i have any variety of Special K as my HEB?
-I would most probably be using my syns for sauces , but i have a real sweet tooth. What little bars of chocolate are have lower syn values?

Thats about it i think, Once i've worked out what im eating im going to pop to ASDA and stock up on a few essential bits.

Im off for breakfast, today its 2 boiled eggs and a slice of wholemeal toast.

XXX

Hi Laurie,

It can take a little while to get your head round the planning, but once you've got it you'll be amazed how much you can eat! Don't forget to look at other peoples food diaries for ideas...

Regarding your questions, if you buy a 400g loaf of bread, you can have two slices, but if it's an 800g loaf (like you have at home, then it is just 1 slice).

Is Special K listed as a HEXB in your book? I hadn't seen that, but probably best to stick with what's in the book for now and then ask your consultant next week.

I don't really eat a lot of chocolate myself, so I'll leave that to someone else to answer.

Don't forget to check out the SW web-site though - it's very good and you can look up all sorts of things on there.

Best of luck for you first week. Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask! x

I had pasta n sauce for lunch today it was free apart from the milk. Unfortunately i've already had my allowance today how many syns would 4 fluid oz of semi skimmed milk be?

Hi Laurie, not sure of the syn value of milk and it all depends whether it was full fat, semi skimmed or skimmed. Also are you aware that you can have to HeAs if you wanted and not just the one?? I personally dont have 2, I stick to just the one.

I had pasta n sauce for lunch today it was free apart from the milk. Unfortunately i've already had my allowance today how many syns would 4 fluid oz of semi skimmed milk be?

Laurie,

When counting extra HEX's it's safe to say each one is around 6 syns e.g. 250ml semi skimmed if counted as syns is 6.

4 floz is around 120 ml, so if it was semi skimmed milk you need to count 3 Syns.

Hope that helps... x

Laurie,

When counting extra HEX's it's safe to say each one is around 6 syns e.g. 250ml semi skimmed if counted as syns is 6.

4 floz is around 120 ml, so if it was semi skimmed milk you need to count 3 Syns.

Hope that helps... x

thank you i only had half the packet so i've counted it as 1.5 syns

Chocloate... a curly wurly is 6 syns. If you put it in the frigde you can't eat it as quick LOL.

I think a mini finger of fudge is about 4, but don't take that as gospel. I'll have to check and get back to you.

Ummm i had a lovely jacket potatoe for dinner with baked beans and cheese yummy...im still full.
I've been reading about this cous cous cake made with muller light?
would anyone recommend this? its seems to be free on a green day, and seeing as im on one hmmm not sure im not starving but i could eat something ....
whats the best flavour muller light?
They stopped the choc ones yr's ago didnt they!

Back