Leaving wheelie bins in a layby 24/7 legal?

Lucia Lucia

Silver Member
Hi folks,

I have a layby in front of my house with no parking restrictions.It extends the whole width of my house but next door either side just have the road in front of their garden. My neighbours have three large wheelie bins waste/recycling and a garden waste wheelie which they insist on leaving in the layby in front of my house which is part of the public highway. They leave them there all the time.They are not tucked into the corner at all and if I move them along a bit so they are nearer their house ( but still in front of mine) they move them back. From my dining room there is a view of 3 wheelies! This morning the was a notice on the bin that any damage to the bin will be charged to us!!! I cant believe it really. I cant mow the end of the garden as the wheelies are in the way and I am afraid to move them- what should I do I am really fed up with it.

Somewhere on your councils website there are some rules and regs about wheelie bins.
They should be put out by a certain time and removed once emptied.
You are not allowed to leave them on a public highway.

If the "went missing" the owners would have to pay to replace them and they'd soon get annoyed with that!!

A quick call to the council maybe?

Although they are handy wheelie bins seem to cause more fallings out on our street than anything - some people can be very odd about them, including your neighbours by the sounds of it!!
I think jaylou is right, just give the council a call. Failing that wait until they are out and kidnap said bins - although where you could hide so many I don't know!!!
Hope you get it sorted xxx

If the layby does form part of the adopted highway then you should contact your Council's Highways department. Most have a "complaint" line for reporting potholes etc - use that.

If any part of their bins are on your property then you are entirely at liberty to remove them. if they start squealing about damage mention how heavy the bin was and that you might have injured yourself removing their bins and put your back out ...;):D

I have called the council and they are looking into it but council worker was a bit ambivilent to be honest.

I dont know what to do about mowing as the bins are in the layby but there is a slope down to the layby. I am afraid to move the bins but cant mow the edge of my garden now. Its a bloody pain!

I have called the council and they are looking into it but council worker was a bit ambivilent to be honest.

I dont know what to do about mowing as the bins are in the layby but there is a slope down to the layby. I am afraid to move the bins but cant mow the edge of my garden now. Its a bloody pain!

You must surely be able to do something about it. That is an infringement to your access if they are causing an obstruction.

I would ring the council again and speak to a different person . It is amazing what different responses you can get from two different people in the same department.

The lady from the council just phoned. The layby has been adopted by the county council ( I think thats what she said) and she has to speak to them and will get back to me.

Not much you can do about via the correct channels - despite the platitudes, most councils will not care.
I would either fill them with stuff that shouldn't be in there, or make them disappear.

The lady from the council just phoned. The layby has been adopted by the county council ( I think thats what she said) and she has to speak to them and will get back to me.

Good - that means the Council's Highways department are responsible for maintaining it. They have to inspect it every so often and make sure any defects/potholes are repaired.

One thing that usually gets the Highway dept moving is a report/complaint by a councillor. Try emailing/phoning your local councillor and see if they will have a word on your behalf. :)

I would either fill them with stuff that shouldn't be in there, or make them disappear.

What a shame we are not near you.

I am sure my horses would love to help you fill the wheelie bins.

An update- Well finally the council wrote to me last Mon and said they had sent a letter to my neighbour at the same time asking her to move the bins and that day the bins moved back onto her property.

The following day I recieved a call from Social Services alleging an incident regarding my daughter- total and utter rubbish. Social Services now have to come out and interview me and the children. My daughter is totally petrified in case they dont believe the truth. All my kids are adopted by me so they are naturally very frightened by the thought of Social Workers coming to our house. My daughter was shaking last night and cant eat. This is an utter nightmare.

I know it will be okay but I think we are going to have to get a solicitor as we are being harrassed.

That is outrageous. Are you able to find out who it was that called S.S.??

My heart goes out to you and your children.

Please let us know what happens.

I am sure there are people on here who are professionals who can perhaps give you some advice.

hugs xxx

Sweetie, I had a problem like that when I fell out with someone. Social Services came to see me because that person (supposedly) rang them and told them that I had dragged my daughter out of school shouting 'just you wait til I get you home!' Funnily enough there were lots of other parents about but only this one made a complaint, they came to see me and had a coffee while watching how my kids acted around me and informed me that there was absolutely nothing to worry about, it was obviously lies (my son kicked his football and knocked my coffee over, he then laughed and said 'whoops mummy' and ran back off, she said she would have expected him to have looked worried if I was a 'violent parent') So please don't worry, they are experts and will see that it's just someone being vindictive. But Omigod at your neighbour (presumably) being so damn nasty!!! What is she like normally? Me personally, I'd have been round there beforehand re the wheelie bins to tell her that they're in the way when you try to mow, or even print that article off that you were given the link to earlier and tape it to the bins. Failing that I'd have chucked eggs at her bloody windows!!!!! Chin up sweets, and hugs to littlies xx

Thanks for replies, yes I know I have nothing to worry about but it's knocked my kids for 6.

Luckily, in the process of adopting 3 children you get to know they ways of sworkers's pretty well and I know I have nothing to be afraid of. My Mum and MIL are both retired sw's in child protection and both have said if they come and do a check they will know its malicious next time cos im pretty sure it will come again!

Going to be letting that laylandii on the boundary grow pretty big now!

I would have benn hard pushed not to go round and punch your neighbour in the face for this. Uttery despicable behaviour.

What a ****ing *****. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Not sure what this will post as ... language was not the best. :eek:

But very heartfelt...

Back