Let's Get Skinny

I've finished my essays for now :) Although realised I've got one due on 18th july and I'm in scotland between the 8th and 13th, which means I'm going to have to do some work next week. Grrr! Word of advice... if you ever want to do a MSc, make sure it's only a year long. I've been doing mine part time for the last 1.5yrs (will be exactly 2 years when I finish) and OMG, it has become hell.

Also I have had to make an official complaint regarding my tutor! She accused me of potentially traumatising and humiliating a disabled child! I audio recorded (with parents consent of course) a child with dyspraxia doing a jigsaw with one of his best friends. He loves jigsaws! What's worse is that she APPROVED it and then said it was ethically questionable! I apparently didn't inform her of the extent of his condition - surely 'severe dyspraxia' suggests that it isn't mild dyspraxia no? I work with this little boy on a 1:1 basis, and I can reassure you all by confirming that he is just fine.

I emailed her confirming that I had consent from both sets of parents, and haven't heard anything back. I've emailed OU east midlands who said they would pass on my concerns to her manager which I agreed to. They're evidently trying to skirt the subject as my initial reply was I could have it appealed for a remark (which btw was a poop grade - a pass but just). I was like, THAT'S NOT THE ISSUE. It's the way she criticises everything that I write, and she accused me of psychologically damaging a child! Grrr I could rant forever about this. She's my fourth tutor with the OU (you get one per module) and I haven't had any problems with the others - they've been lovely and supportive.

Anyway, I wasn't coming on here to rant about the OU lol. I was thinking about goal setting and whether it actually is beneficial. With me, I find that setting a goal causes me to put on weight rather than lose it! I bought a pair of Hunter wellies 4 years ago, and as I was 2.5 lighter then they fit. Obviously now they don't. I've gone to T in the Park for the last 3 years, and each year i'm like 'right this year I'm going to slim into my hunter wellies' and T in the Park is in 2.5 weeks time and I'm still the same weight (actually might be a couple of lbs heavier than when i bought the tickets 15 weeks ago). I now feel incredibly guilty but I only have myself to blame.

Then I thought to myself... the only time I've ever really lost weight properly was when no goal was set. I reduced my eating dramatically because I had gallstones and eating any fat was way too painful. But the gallstones are long gone now (as is my gallbladder). So I'm beginning to think that setting goals isn't the way forward to me.

I was also thinking about why we weigh ourselves, and become obsessive with it. It's fair to say we all have a vision of what we would like to look like, so surely when you look in the mirror and see that you're not how you'd like to look, you need to keep going. I'm in no way criticising people who do weigh themselves.... I'm always weighing myself, but I was just wondering why for so many people it's all about the scales. If anything, I find that a STS or weight gain causes me to fall off the wagon. Well actually losing weight causes me to fall off the wagon also because I reward myself with food.

Of course you do need to weigh yourself. I imagine it's amazing stepping on the scales to discover you've lost a stone.

I have a lot of issues lol.

Back