Let's talk about booze!

I also tried having Rum in a pint full of coke but I drink rum because I like the taste and it was just too diluted to enjoy :rolleyes:

Absolutely this! I'm down to the last little bit of my lovely Cuban rum :( I'd rather have less coke everytime, and I blow up like a pufferfish if I have too much coke!

Hellie - I have always had the same problems as you, if I drink I gain or sts - in the end I decided not to drink every week & save it for a special occasion (boring I know but....) it was the only way I could get it to work - I drink Southern Comfort or wine normally but then I have a few & the resolve goes, then I get the munchies.....downhill from there really....

I tried that one, but forgot to write them down when I'd had a few lol.

I also tried having Rum in a pint full of coke but I drink rum because I like the taste and it was just too diluted to enjoy :rolleyes:

LOL...That's a man for you!! My hubby came up with the writing down idea and watches me but I bet he couldn't write down his drinks!!
I am lucky that I don't like brandy on it's own and have always had it diluted but in a half pint glass so its just more diluted.
I wish they made Brandy flavoured Diet Coke.. that would be syn free!!

My advice would be to have your drinks at the weekend when you go out, but how about making them longer drinks such as wine and soda etc. Also, I'm sure I read somewhere that alcohol makes you hungry, hence the skinful in the pub and the kebab afterwards syndrome. But what ever you choose to do, enjoy it, its too expensive to drink and be misserable over it. xx

I'm glad that I don't drink alcohol because I like to spend my syns on food treats and I'd never fit alcohol in too.
I'll probably have something alcoholic on Chrismas Day, and possibly a couple of evenings on our summer holiday. The rest of the time it doesn't interest me.

I used to drink not even thinking this could have affected my weight gain. However, after trying to balance my daily allowance with what I really like to have - I preffer to go out with friends and have Chinesse or Indian instead of having a drink. Of course I am not tee total but one glass of wine now and then is more than enough for me (for time being anyway) I couldn't justify starving myself to get my alcohol fix.

Minimimi, I love this saying on your signature

"A year from now you may wish you had started today."

Brilliant!

I am the same as Malaika, I use almost all of my syns on alcohol. I used to have a large glass of wine most nights, but have now cut back to only drinking at the weekends. I estimate 30 syns for a bottle of wine (approx 3 large glasses), and have 2 bottles (not all in one go...) over the weekend.

I have found this is OK if I drink at home (where I have no naughty food to tempt me after I have had a drink), but last weekend I was at a party, had my usual 3 glasses of wine, and then found I couldn't leave the peanuts alone!....

I use to drink wine every night quite often the whole bottle, so I decided to just stop drinking. Which has actually worked out quite well because in the past doing SW I would use all my syns on drink and after a month was so bored with eating the same things and not having anything "nice" that I would give up. Now some days I am struggling to use all my syns. I have drank I think twice since I started the plan but I begrudge using my syns on it now. Funny how things change

My slimming buddy bought me one of these a few years back...
Ruryk Fare - Pewter Celtic Design Whisky Quaich

She had it engraved with 'Sin Free' for my christmas present (before the spelling got changed?!)

It means that at home you can be very accurate with measure sizes, which of course is VITAL.

Lucky, you are right you MUST use a measure. I use mine without thinking now.
Prior to SW my tot, was at least twice the size and I did'nt even realise it.
I do love wine but as it's so high in syns I stick to my brandy most of the time, with wine as a special treat.
If I were to give up my alcohol totally I would most certainly give up on SW!
Fortunately, being the odd one out alcohol curbs my appetite, which is great. After a couple of drinks I don't even want to eat!

Thanks for this thread, was beginning to think I had a bit of a drinking problem as have been saving my syns for a couple of glasses of wine with my meal in the evening.. lol now where's that corkscrew?

I do like to get a discussion going! Interesting reading...thanks all for your responses.

I hear what you're saying about making drinks longer but I enjoy the taste of wine as it was meant to be, undiluted. And I like to be able to taste my gin but I do have quite a bit of tonic with that, as I love tonic water. That's my usual drink of an evening - a 'ginless' G&T!

I think (after tonight's bottle and probable maintain next WI) that I'll go back to just having drinks on special occasions too. It's what I've been doing off and on for a while, but I was just hoping to somehow fit it into my life normally/moderately!! I am really pleased for those of you that do!

Back