Licking the Lid of Life....my esoteric diary

I think I am 'lucky' in that my liver is a little delicate so I am careful with the booze anyway although I can see a sneaky snowball heading my way!

I too fear not being able to get back on plan but I know my attitude is different this time. I sat at my first SW meeting last week (but have been losing since august) and not one person said they were aiming for a loss, all were aiming to maintain at best, I couldnt get that at all. I know it's a cautious approach but they also offered reasons as to why they couldn't lose and I wondered what the point of coming out, paying the money and then admitting defeat before you have started was? Ooh, sorry, little rant there!

Oooh, you mentioned peanuts, that's a big weakness of mine too, I'm not doing well here am i? :eek:

Tuesday 3rd December

Advent Calendars and Shaving

Two totally unrelated topics here. Its funny, even as an adult I had advent calendars. I like the fact that they now cater for all age ranges and have always coveted the Lindt ones that are clearly adults only, with their eye watering £10 price tag. Last year and this year though I haven't had one. Clearly turning 30 put some kind of mental kabosh on that simple childhood pleasure. Along with stockings. The Christmas variety you understand. Being too overweight put the kabosh on the "other" sort ;). This year little one is three and is finally old enough and intellectually aware enough to have an advent calendar. Not being the most patient of beasts the human child can view these with varying degrees of desire. There is the rip it all open child, the totally not interested child and the inbetweener (copyright matters notwithstanding) who uses it and opens it in the pre-ordained manner. It turns out I have the latter of the three options. She has the mother of all advent calendars too. To any of you with children down the lower end of the age spectrum I am sure you have seen these. The Playmobil advent calendar. It was a Christmas gift (clearly designed to be early) from my Aunt. It comes with a little cardboard castle stage set and each day she opens a door on an enormous pink box to get another piece of the scenery. Starting with a lovely playmobil princess. Today she got a mirror and dressing table. Its gold and reflects with jazzy stickers. In short it's better than what I've got to do MY hair in!! Crazy really and stupidly expensive when you consider it is really only an advent calendar but despite myself I love it. I'm more keen to see what she has each day then she is!! Maybe next year I should get my own one. Playmobil, of course.

As to the other topic. I just had a bath. Got a bit of a snuffle and I'm off school as I have a meeting up in Guildford later so am on a later start than usual. As a result I treated myself to an uninterrupted, steaming hot morning soak. As I shaved my legs I marvelled at how quick it was to do it these days. Zip zip zip. Clearly there are a LOT less creases to negotiate than before and a lot less surface area to cover. One day I may venture in for a leg wax. I have not yet done this for fear of them calling out to an assistant "Oi Shaz, I'm gonna need the WIDE strips and some extra wax..." I know it happens, I've read about it in Reveal magazine so it must be true (nb that last bit is untrue, I mean I'm sure it happens but I would NEVER lower myself to Reveal magazine. One prefers the unnaturally elfin models in Cosmo don't you know). So I'm defuzzed and have taken that as another NSV. Get in.

Last edited:
The Playmobile Advent calendar sounds AMAZING!!! I saw a Lego version at the weekend and really wished that I had bought it for my Grandson (who is also 3). I'd have bought it there and then but I knew his little sister (she's 2) would instantly notice that he was getting something she wasn't ... now I know about the glittery Playmobile one I'll be prepared early next year and she too will be of an age to really understand and appreciate :D

I don't do hair removal ... not from any deep held feminist ideals you understand but just because I can't be arsed ;) (and I need the fuzz to keep me warm now the fat's melting away).... but I have had leg waxes in the past - it's painful and never as smooth and silky as after shaving so I used to go home and shave them anyway :rolleyes:

lol @ the wide wax strips, that made me chuckle!

I've been using the same lady for a year now and I have no shame with her, but she lied to me and told me leg waxing wasn't that bad........I've never known pain like it! It was like someone spraying boiling hot fat on me. I can do pain (I think, maybe I'm really a total wuss) but that almost made me cry :eek:. I'm quite happy developing a winter coat ready to be shorn in January before holiday!

Sunday 8th Dec

Illness

**groan**

I don't do ill. At all. I am woman hear me roar. But my god, I feel like I've gone a few rounds with Ricky Hatton. My husband and I were in bed immediately after DD last night, so kind of about 7pm. I've still woken up with the mother of all headaches and backaches. Urgh. We have a date with the early showing of Frozen today as well so I'm hoping for a nap.... ;)

Last edited:
Frozen was very good. Slightly complex for 3 year old but stunning to watch. Id recommend it :)

plus there are some funny bits for the parents.

Hi Sam, I hope you're feeling better chick; I'm loving your diary - just read the whole thing through (I'm a bit obsessive like that, if I find a good thread I've got to go back to the beginning otherwise is like starting a book halfway through, right?) and howled with laughter at the satisfaction of doing a poo before a weigh in ...... Glad it's not just me (although I have been known to force a wee, not sure what a drizzle will do for the scales though :rolleyes:) Potty humour, gotta love it!

Hope you had a good day x

Thanks for the thoughts everyone :) unfortunately this appears to be viral as it's just not going. Luckily I only have one lesson to teach today so will be spending the morning in bed after dropping little one off at her childminders shortly. My god it is literally like I have had a fight. I ache all over. But as they say....you should see the other guy. ;)

leaving for an hour in the classroom. Luckily its one of the better classes. DVD anyone? Head on desk anyone?

Thank you, if positive vibes were medicine I'd be better by now, everyone has been so nice :)

Fab diary! Love reading it, you sure are very witty x

Wednesday 11th Dec

Now THERE'S that silver lining

So the illness took over the household. I took yesterday off work but still went in to parents evening after double dosing ibuprofen and paracetamol all day and after having a steaming hot bath. It's amazing, the restorative power of a good shampoo and some Aussie Three Minute Miracle. Today I feel marginally better. I'm still on the drugs but the backache and headache have dissipated and I finally feel able to move around without the illusion of wading through treacle. Its nice to feel better. You appreciate it so much more when you have felt so awful!

Today is also my wedding anniversary BUT even better than that its WI day and I've lost 4lbs!! Now I'm aware that this boost to my stats is because I haven't been eating properly and I know I'll likely gain a little back when I start eating properly this week but boy it was nice to see that 14st 0lb on the scales. It means I hit my 3 stone mark AND drop from obese BMI to simply overweight (not that I believe in BMI you understand but it still feels like a little victory).

So however awful I felt it kinda now feels worth it ;)

Back