Liver recipes anyone?

mandy296

Silver Member
Does anyone have any recipes for liver (pigs liver specifically)

Bought some at the weekend as its way cheaper than regular cuts of meat, but i've never cooked it and havent had it since i was a kid (mum used to fry it til it was like a piece of leather - apparently it was "good for me" and if its good for you it has to taste rubbish!)

There' nothing on the SW website, there's a few on the BBC food recipes web pages, but I wondered if anyone had anything already SW friendly - even BritMum doesnt have any on her blog!

If not, I think there's one in the Extra Easy cookbook that I might give a try.

I just usually put it in a casserole with onions, mushrooms & bacon with aprox 300ml of water mixed with beef bovril or oxo cube and cook slowly in oven for approx 45mins

Hope this has been helpful

Or make syn free paté. There's a recipe here somewhere

liver& onions

When i do liver,I fry in frylightn in large frying pan, fry onions in seperate pan and then add to the liver,add water and stir in oxo let it simmer slowly while slimming world chips are in the oven and then thicken the gravy just before serving,with gravy granules, nothing nicer than liver and chips and peas with the onion gravy poured over the chips, hope you like it as much as my family do....

Liver stroganoff
Serves 4
Syn free

1lb liver, sliced
14oz tin chopped tomatoes
half green pepper, diced
1 oxo beef cube
6oz fat free from frais
4 rashers bacon diced
half red pepper, diced
4oz mushrooms, sliced
quarter pint water
1 tsp mixed herbs

Fry bacon and liver in frylight until lightly browned.
Add everything else to pan EXCEPT from frais.
Bring to the boil and simmer, covered, for 25 mins.
Stir in from frais to serve.

Oriental Liver
Serves 1
Syn free

1oz bacon, diced
1 small onion, diced
2oz mushrooms, sliced
1 tblsp fat free from frais
3oz liver, sliced
1 stick celery, diced
1 tblsp soy sauce

Fry bacon, liver and onion in frylight until golden.
Add celery, mushrooms and soy sauce.
Cook for 10 mins, covered.
Stir in from frais to serve

Cinnamon Liver
Serves 3
Syn free

1lb liver, sliced
4oz onion, diced
2 tsp cinnamon
quarter pint chicken stock
4oz mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp tarragon
15oz tin chopped tomatoes

Put all ingrediants into a pan, bring to the boil, cover and simmer until liver is tender, stirring occasionally

Excellent suggestions, thanks everyone.

I took some bacon out of the freezer too, so I think I might try the stoganoff recipe tonight but they all look good.

I'm not convinced OH is gonna like it, so have take some sausages out the freezer too just in case (non SW friendly ones left over from a barbecue, so they need getting rid of)

Well, I made the Strogonaff - the stock was nice but I think I have to admit that maybe liver is never really going to be my favourite meat :(

Still, for a cheap meal if i'm totally skint its worth bearing in mind -and i might use the same receipe for casserole beef or something like that

I still can't get around the liver I used to eat being tough. I say "eat" more like in my mums house we'd get force fed it during *week "FOR THE IRON! EAT IT"

I had a beautiful piece once but never been able to recreate it.

Back