LoChan's diary - hello!

Hiya Kally - thanks for the visit :D

Scrambling tofu is easy peasey - you can either crumble it up as you add it to the pan or chuck it in then break it into chunks with a spoon as you stir it around.

For this morning's scramble I heated 1/2 a tsp of extra virgin olive oil, then added the tofu and used the spoon method to break it up in the pan - cooked it for around 2 mins then added some tinned salmon and cooked it another 2 mins - seasoned with a little salt and pepper and it was done :)

I think I prefer it to scrambled eggs now!

Oh and congrats on your week 1 result Kally! x

Pumpkin bread recipe for Lily :)

Pumpkin Bread - will make 1 large/tall loaf or two smaller loaves. Total recipe syns - 130

Ingredients

200g plain flour (36 syns)
1 tsp baking soda (I counted this plus the baking powder as 1 syn)
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs
200g caster sugar (40 syns)
45g dark brown sugar (9 syns)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup of canned or pureed pumpkin (sorry didn't weigh this one out since it's free)
100g vegetable oil (I used rice bran oil) (44 syns).

1) Preheat oven to 180C

2) Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt.

3) In another bowl whisk together eggs, sugars and vanilla.

4) Slowly encorporate dry ingredients into the egg mixture, a little bit at a time mixing thoroughly.

5) Add the pumpkin and oil and stir to combine into a smooth batter.

6) Pour batter into either one or two loaf tins (I sprayed mine with frylight in place of greasing with butter).

7) Bake in the oven - a single large loaf will need around 60-70 mins, two smaller loaves will need around 30-40 mins. They're done when you can poke them with a skewer and it comes out clean.

The loaves do tend to go dark brown/almost burned looking but it adds to the flavour :)
The original recipe I adapted made one big loaf and suggested it make 8 portions. Thought I'd be sensible and go for two smaller loaves and get 16 smaller portions instead which works out at 8 syns per a 16th slice.

I'm thinking about trying out a lower syn version and will post on here how it goes - maybe not until the weekend though.

Plan is to swap the caster sugar for splenda (1 cup) leaving in the brown sugar, and to try swapping the oil for stewed apple/apple sauce. It would reduce the syns a fair bit but I'm tempted to make the bigger loaf and have bigger slices :D

That sounds delish and even more so with the apple, will see what you think of it before attempting either, am very impressed, thanks for the recipe hun, you're definitely my meal inspiration, I always come here looking for new things and you never disappoint xxxx

I think my brains really scrambled today and I've tuned into your frequency cos I've just been on the exercise bike :eek:

OMG...:wow: I just feinted, TILLY & EXERCISE, surely those 2 words don't belong in the same sentence....Are you ok dear was it the going back to work that made you do something so rash...have a rest dear it will take you time to get over it .....oh I just fell in, I remember you saying that you liked the idea of working 1 day every 2 weeks, is this you plan to make sure you achieve it M'lady?? :8855: :8855: :8855: :8855: :8855: xxxxxxxx

Mn tiring Monday but apart from swearing (using the -really- bad words :p) at my work comp all through the working part of the day it's been okay. Very fishy though, definitely think I'm being other people today lol

I made an effort with fruit eating today and made a big bowl of fruit salad using 2 plums, 1 apple, 1 orange and 1 nectarine and dipped into this with each main meal. Was very tasty and didn't have room for yoghurts for a change lol Will try doing this again most of this week, see if it's an effective weight loss habit as well as a tasty one :D

Extra Easy again:

B - Japanese style breakfast of scrambled tofu and salmon topped with minced spring onion (1 syn for a 1/2tsp olive oil), brown rice (eat half of it as it was a little undercooked), miso soup with wakame sea vegetables and spring onion (1 syn for miso). Small bowl of fruit salad.
View attachment 19774

Absolutely love Miso Soup, I know I have a pack in my cupboard, so will be using that xx

Morning - Very small bowl of sushi rice, a banana. Apricot-filled cereal bar (6 syns).

That sounds fab too another ingredient I have thanks lol xxx

Late lunch - Mackerel onigiri (1.5syns). Small fruit salad - think this counts as EE (hopefully!).
View attachment 19775

That Mackerel sounds and looks divine, recipe Miss Lo please, do you use fresh Mackerel? I have a couple in my freezer and was looking for inspiration lol xxxx

D - Adapted Sugar's Beef Goulash (1.5 syns), steamed new potatoes, broccoli and carrots. Small fruit salad. Coffee and an oaty biscuit (guessed at 6 syns, son brought it me home from school).
View attachment 19772

Evening - milky coffee (hexa) and weetabix oaty bar (hexb)

Found these cute rice toppers in my cupboard which work out at a half syn each (all around 10 cals) View attachment 19773
I added a nori one in with my nigiri - made them look quite authentic :D

Awww where did you get them hun ...love the sound of them xx

Will be a little less adventurous tomorrow I'm afraid, at least for breakfast and lunch. Having another day off work on wednesday but will need to work a bit more tomorrow so won't have as much time during the day.

And again, should try and do something other than walking tom'ow but as said I'm going with an easy and relaxed sort of week so not pushing myself into things :)

After that little lot you deserve some time off from cooking lol.
Hope you have a really good day (other than work) today sweetie xxxx

Hiya Kally - thanks for the visit :D

Scrambling tofu is easy peasey - you can either crumble it up as you add it to the pan or chuck it in then break it into chunks with a spoon as you stir it around.

For this morning's scramble I heated 1/2 a tsp of extra virgin olive oil, then added the tofu and used the spoon method to break it up in the pan - cooked it for around 2 mins then added some tinned salmon and cooked it another 2 mins - seasoned with a little salt and pepper and it was done :)

I think I prefer it to scrambled eggs now!

Just made it for lunch with turkey rasher instead of salmon was absolutely fab thank you x

Sorry to be dumb here but what does tofu taste of? Is it eggy? Do you use it because you like it or because it's non animal? So many people use it on SW and other plans, I wondered what it was like...

Ta Pomooky XX

You've inspired me with your Japanese foods, I've not had sushi for ages - there is a treat i can promise myself for tomorrow :)

Well done on the losses, and sorry to hear you've been swearing at your work computer, tut tut, poor little thing

Are you ok hun. Where are you.

You'll all be glad to know I'm back to my normal exercise regime today which is none :8855:

I'm here and I'm fine :) Just been really busy today (still with no exercise other than walking :eek::D).

Writing up the mackerel nigiri recipe for the peeps who've asked for it and catching up with diaries while watching jaws 3 :)

That sounds delish and even more so with the apple, will see what you think of it before attempting either, am very impressed, thanks for the recipe hun, you're definitely my meal inspiration, I always come here looking for new things and you never disappoint xxxx

Awws thank you, makes me happy that I can make things others try and like too - don't get any feedback at home since it's just me I'm cooking for. Another reason to get slim and married and make some more babies - I'm determined to have a very adventurous child or two in the household so I'm not all on my tod with my sushi and da kine :D

Just made it for lunch with turkey rasher instead of salmon was absolutely fab thank you x

Yay - glad you enjoyed it :)

Sorry to be dumb here but what does tofu taste of? Is it eggy? Do you use it because you like it or because it's non animal? So many people use it on SW and other plans, I wondered what it was like...

Ta Pomooky XX

It doesn't have much of it's own flavour so it tends to take on the flavours of the things you cook it with. Makes it a very versatile ingredient.

I've been using it both because I like it and as a change from meat. Also when I buy it from my local co-op it's quite cheap and a handy thing to have in the fridge :)

You've inspired me with your Japanese foods, I've not had sushi for ages - there is a treat i can promise myself for tomorrow :)

Well done on the losses, and sorry to hear you've been swearing at your work computer, tut tut, poor little thing

I'm sure the poor thing is feeling somewhat abused, but needs must it had to be the middle man to stop me swearing at my manager instead :8855:

I'll look forward to your sushi creations - I've bought some more rice and some nori today so aiming to make some more things this week too :)

Rushed across here for the Mackerel onigiri recipe you said you were posting and it's not here :cry: unless you are posting it while I write this :D XX

Mn hope I haven't missed any posts - sorry if so - it's gotten a bit later than I meant to stay up, even if I'm off work tom'ow :rolleyes:

I'll do my food diary for today in the morning now as I've left the iphone with my tea pic somewhere. There was more fish today - sea bass, something I've never tried and it was very nice :) It's almost a fishy week challenge, can't believe it as I'd never thought I could do it but it looks like I'll give it a go properly in a few weeks once I've thought up a few more ideas!

For tonight, I've written up the mackerel nigiri recipe from yesterday that Lily and Sugar (and possibly others?) have asked me for. It was something made up off the cuff as it were so it's an approximation of what I did. Very simple though so I don't think it'll give anyone much bother :)

Mackerel Nigiri
Makes 1 large serving. - 1 syn for the mirin, 0.5 syns extra if you have the furikake.
You can buy it from japanese delis, online japanese stores (such as japancentre.com), maybe ebay too.

Around 1/2 cup sushi rice - I made slightly too much and had the leftover rice as a snack
1 tsp sushi rice vinegar
1 tsp mirin
1/2 tsp splenda (or to personal taste)
1/4 tsp salt (or to personal taste)
*optional if available - 1 sachet furikake (japanese rice seasoning)
1 fresh mackerel fillet
salt
1 tsp mirin

1) Prepare rice as per packet instructions. I think I used 1 cup of water to 1/2 cup of rice, brought it to the boil and cooked it covered on a gentle simmer for 10-15 mins then took it off the heat and left it covered for 10 more minutes.

2) After the 10 mins standing time is up add the 1 tsp sushi rice vinegar, 1 tsp of mirin, the splenda and the salt (and furikake if using) and mix well.

3) You'll need something like a small shallow square/rectangle shaped tupperware box (I used a small bento box) that you can use as a mold for the rice. Line it with cling film then tranfer the rice to the box. Flatten out with a spoon - you want an even thickness of around an inch. Cover with clingfilm and leave to cool for at least 30 mins.

4) To prepare the mackerel: Sprinkle both sides of the fillet with salt and rub in gently. Leave for a few minutes then pat dry with a piece of kitchen towel.

5) You cook the fish under a moderate grill - place fish on a piece of foil fleshy side up - drizzle with 1 tsp of mirin. Pop under the grill and cook for 5-7 mins, then turn over and cook for a further 3-5 mins (use your own judgement). Remove from grill and leave until cool enough to handle.

6) Once your sushi rice has set in the mold, lift it out carefully and cut into 6-8 rectangular shaped pieces - transfer to a serving plate. Cut your mackerel fillet into the same number of pieces as your rice and arrange one piece of fish on top of each nigiri.

You can eat it straight away or cover in cling film and leave in the fridge to eat later within 24 hours (I'd guess, mine didn't wait around that long!).

Hope you find it tasty if anyone gives it a go :)

I'm going to try and give the inside-out type sushi rolls (Uramaki) a go at some point.

Tomorrow reckon I'll try the adapted pumpkin bread idea out - I've a slice of the regular left (and half a loaf in the freezer) so might do a side-by-side taste test if I have syns spare. I gave my dad one of the regular loaves and he took it into work and it got good reviews :)

Last edited:
Rushed across here for the Mackerel onigiri recipe you said you were posting and it's not here :cry: unless you are posting it while I write this :D XX

Indeed I was lol Sorry for being a slow-coach - my eyelids are drooping!

Night Lily :) x

Thanks hunni, and nighty night sweet dreams :nightf: :zz: xxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for explaining how to set the rice in moulds, I'm also intrigued by those inside out sushi thingies. Obviously I'll use different stuff to the fish - Redwood do a great tuna pate substitute that might be useful. I'll be in the area of a great vegan shop on Thursday .... mmm .. drool :)

I go out to eat with my son a fair bit, one of our fave restaurants is Hare & Tortoise and it would be great to try and duplicate more of their foods. Their presentation is excellent too.

Thanks for explaining how to set the rice in moulds, I'm also intrigued by those inside out sushi thingies. Obviously I'll use different stuff to the fish - Redwood do a great tuna pate substitute that might be useful. I'll be in the area of a great vegan shop on Thursday .... mmm .. drool :)

I go out to eat with my son a fair bit, one of our fave restaurants is Hare & Tortoise and it would be great to try and duplicate more of their foods. Their presentation is excellent too.

Ooh that menu looks lovely! Wish I was local lol

Mn just had a little browse on google - there's a few vegan friendly recipes on this page - some use tempura type fillings but a couple of the should be sw friendly In the Kitchen with a Southern Sushi Chef » Vegan Sushi The tofu with 'ponzu' sounds nice too and worth a try for me this week - just says you mix soy sauce with citrus fruits and vinegar to taste - lemon and lime juice would make it syn free :D

Food diary for yesterday: Red day

B - Activia yoghurt (first thing). Later, ready brek (hexb), stewed apple with cinnamon (2 syns), 2 chopped plums.

L - Beef goulash (1.5 syns) with mustard celeriac mash, broccoli and carrots and frylight'd onions.

D - Simmered sea bass (1 syn). Sauteed tofu & five colour veggies (2 syns).
Cheese (hexa) and apple slices.
Simmered seabass and sauteed tofu and five colour vegetable medley.jpg

Evening - milky coffee (hexa), weetabix oaty bar (hexb), 1 hallowe'en french fancy (5 syns).

Tofu, it's your versatile friend lol

Had half last night and the rest for lunch today - just reheated it in a frying pan for a couple of minutes and it still tasted good :)

Been the most tiring day off I've ever had :(

Had less than 5hrs sleep last night and meant to nap in the morning but part of taking the day off was to flea-spray the house - ended up getting started around 9 and needed to do a whole house clean up and hoover then spray - finishing around 3 with a half hour 'lunchbreak'. Feet and back are killing me from standing up all day and my throat is a little sore from the fumes :sigh:

So nope, no exercise apart from walking done today - can't really blame your brainwaves this time, blaming the sore feets :) I suppose housework type chores are meant to be a kind of body magic, given it was hours and hours of bending and lugging the heavy hoover about it must count for something...

Hohum, I've got that 'lighter' feeling though so think I'll still lose this week despite the drop in activity :)

Hope you've had a good day despite your daughter lightening your purse a little, oh so considerate these children creatures :D

Back