Lose a stone in September

Tuesday, 9 September - 12st, 13lb

Thought I may as well start adding my daily weight to the posts...

So, although I did really well throughout the day food-wise, by the evening it all went a bit wrong. I didn't do any exercise (so much for that long walk!) and ended up having some wine and eating more than I should, so:

Tuesday, 9 September:

Calories in = 2385
BMR = 1580
Calories burnt = 0

Total Surplus = +805

Last edited:
Wednesday, 10 September - 12st, 12lb

Thanks Hun

Yeah, I was very sad about my Uncle. :( I bawled my eyes out on Sunday and Monday and by yesterday I was starting to feel a bit better. Today I feel a lot better - still a bit sad but it's not overwhelming like it was. I'm back on track today. I'm determined to get rid of the weight I gained back and am hoping that lots of water and exercise will do the trick. I might add a counter to my signature like you have so that I can keep track of my weekly weigh ins. :)

So, onwards and upwards. I did a 5km run this morning together with strength training with my trainer and managed to burn 954 calories. I'm p*ssed off about that remaining 46 calories so I'm heading out shortly for a walk down to Tesco with DD in the carrier (plus carrying the shopping back) to try and gain some headway - I should manage to get rid of another 300 calories if I'm lucky.

Calories in = 1455
Calories burnt = 1260
BMR = 1580

Total Calorie deficit = -1385

Last edited:
WELL DONE!!! EPIC performance

Thursday, 11 September - 12st, 11lb

Thanks! :) I refuse to let it all overwhelm me any longer. I know nothing is going to change the situation and if I continue to overeat, not only will I have his death to deal with, I will also have weight gain to deal with, so if I want to lose the weight, I have to crack on - still 4lb heavier than the weight I was on Sunday. *sigh*

I wanted to do my sprints today but I've already done a long walk, so I might just rest for the evening. I took DD to 'Zumbini' this morning (a dance and sing type thing for children) and continued with my walk afterwards. I have it lined up for the next 7 weeks so it's a good excuse to get a walk in. That means, at the very least, I have PT on Mon, Wed and Fri and now Zumbini/walk on a Thurs.

So for today:

Calories in = 1450
Calories burnt = 1300
BMR = 1580

Total calorie deficit = -1430

Monday, 15th September - 12st, 13lb

I know it's not funny but PMSL - this 'lose a stone in September challenge' is going well isn't it?! Today I am exactly the same weight as I was on the 1st September *sigh*

It's not a mystery though, I know exactly what's happened - it's the weekends. It's like I'm powerless to stop it. Friday night arrives and it's 'just one glass of wine' then the rest of the weekend seems to disappear in a haze of eating. This weekend we went to Gaucho on Friday night which wasn't actually too bad - I had a fillet steak and veg. Saturday even went well. I went to a friend's BBQ and only ate what I had taken with me so I could stay on top of the calories - drinking only water... but then I got home. We had a friend staying over on Saturday night who we haven't seen for aaaaages - so we cracked the wine open and ordered Chinese takeaway. I didn't eat a lot and my weight stayed stable yesterday morning - but as DH can't be trusted to order food, he ordered waaaaay too much. Rather than throw it away, we spent all of yesterday making our way through it (not to mention the bacon and sausage sandwich for breakfast!).

So yeah, Saturday night and Sunday were disastrous in terms of calories.

I did burn off way more last week than I ate over the weekend though, so I'm really hoping today's weight is temporary bloating from the salt/booze.

Anyway, today is a new day/week and I'm just about to jump on the ol' treadmill followed by personal training - nothing for it but to crack on!

Calories in = 1270
Calories burnt = 1400
BMR = 1580

Total Deficit = -1710

Last edited:
God I'm exactly the same on weekends - this weekend just gone was probably the best on record and I still at about 2500 on friday!!

I've managed to lose weight still though I think from the exercise (which you're nailing too) and having 2 days a week at 500-600. The combination of those two things has definitely been the ay forward for me. But even then I've still lost weight very slowly - only 5-6 pounds a month. But I don't care - I've had 2 holidays in that time been on about 30 nights out and got very fit. Plus I had an operation so no exercise for 2 weeks and injured for last 3 weeks.

You would only need to cut back a teeny bit on the weekend and maybe do a lower cal day in the week and you'd easily do the same.

I think once you have a couple of good weeks you'll nail it from then on

Yeah - I know what I should be doing, it's just doing it that's the problem! :D I can't really cut back on calories due to breastfeeding. It's why I'm doing so much exercise - to try and combat the high calorie intake. I do need to cut back on the weekends though. I am still losing overall, just very slowly - which I don't mind. I just thought I'd try and motivate myself by my 'lose a stone in September' challenge - which hasn't worked as well as expected. I've got used to eating really carefully during the week and splurging on the weekend and still losing - albeit gradually (I've lost about 22kg since DD was born - she's 10 months old now). If I continue losing at the same rate, it will take longer but it does mean I get to live too, which makes it sustainable in the long term. :)

I am losing size even if I'm not losing weight though. Looking in the mirror now, I certainly can't see where I'll be able to lose the best part of 3 stone, so I may have to reconsider my goal weight due to all the training I'm doing. I'm going to get to 70kg now and see how things look at that point.

Tuesday, 16 September - 12st, 11lb

Day out with MIL today. I wanted to get some training in but didn't manage it so I thought I'd walk home from our day out and burn around 1200 - but it was too late by the time we'd finished to manage it. I still did some walking, just not as much as I would have liked. I then met DH in town and we went for dinner - I had fish and veg. I did have some dessert and a couple of glasses of wine but the damage wasn't too bad.

Calories in = 2410
Calories burnt = 600
BMR = 1580

Total Surplus = +230

Wednesday, 17 September - 12st, 9lb

Rubbish night's sleep but still got up for training and actually smashed my sprint speed. I had been on 15kmph but have upped it to 15.6 (on an incline of 2). I've agreed with my trainer to try and get it up to 18 by the time I go on holiday (in 8 and a half weeks). It will be tough - it's the speed my trainer sprints at, and she weighs exactly 20kg less than me! I also did an arm session today and managed some really decent pushups so all in all, a good session. I only managed to burn 655 calories though so I'm off out to Tesco with DD in the baby carrier again this afternoon to get up to my 1300 calorie goal.

Calories in = 1610
Total Burnt = 1100
BMR = 1550

Total Deficit = -1040

Last edited:
Thursday, 18 September - 12st, 7lb

Seems that it was just water retention as my weight is now heading back down to where it realistically should be. :)

So, what are the chances of getting rid of 8lb in the next 2 weeks? Pffft. I'll give it a shot but I'm realistic about my prospects. ;)

Only managed to burn 675 calories today, so I reduced my intake to try and compensate.

Calories in = 1260
Calories burnt = 675
BMR = 1500

Total Deficit = -915

Last edited:
Friday, 19 September - 12st, 7lb

Bit of a hardcore day today. I managed to get my 5km run in before 8:30am, then had PT at 10:00 and yoga this evening at 6:30. It was leg day today and my trainer was trying to work me to fatigue - she wants my legs to ache in the morning but so far, she's not managed it (my legs are ridiculously strong - not that you'd know it to look at them).

Anyway:

Calories in = 1700
Calories burnt = 1300
BMR = 1500

Total deficit = -1100

Saturday, 20 September - 12st, 7lb

Rest day today and 'cheat' meal tonight. :)

I was going to go to the gym but I've decided that after a full week's exercise, I'll take it easy today. I have a chiropractor appointment to sort my back out today, which will be flipping awesome as I've been in agony for a while.

...and I'll hit the gym tomorrow as DH is taking DD for her very first swimming lesson so for once I'll have some time to myself. :)

Had my cheat meal today - burger and chips with cheesecake for dessert (accompanied by two glasses of wine and a couple of small pieces of chocolate).

Total calories in = 3100
Calories burnt = 510
BMR = 1500

Total calorie surplus = +1090

Last edited:
Sunday, 21 September - 12st, 8lb

Had my 'cheat meal' last night, so my weight has, of course, gone up today (despite the fact that I am still well in deficit for calories for the week).

I'm expecting TOTM in the next week or so so my weight rarely moves for anything up to 10 days before it arrives (sometimes going up).

Anyway, I'm off to the gym in a minute to get cracking again. Official weigh in tomorrow so I'll try and get my weight back down for then.

The gym didn't work out so well - their treadmills are rubbish. I do HIIT and there was no way to automatically adjust the speed, so in order to do anything, I had to repeatedly press the buttons - which is ok when there is not much change in speed, but when going from a 15kmh sprint to a 3kmh walk, it's just no good. I ended up chatting to one of my neighbours instead then left - and unfortunately didn't get any dedicated training in at home either. I still went for a few walks but only burnt around 500 calories in total.

So yep:

Calories in = 1600
Calories burnt = 500
BMR = 1500

Total deficit = -400

Last edited:
Oh yes - forgot to say that I got DH to take some 'before' pics this morning. :sigh: I'd been thinking I was doing a lot better. My original goal was to reach 63kg but I was thinking the other day that I might not still have that much weight to lose. I was wrong. I can definitely see where another 17kg can be lost.

Monday, 22 September - 12st, 6lb

Weigh in day and, although technically it works out at a 7lb loss for the week (given that my weight last Monday was 12st, 13lb), I'm counting it as 1lb as I already weighed in at 12st, 7lb 2 weeks ago.

Bit of a shocker for me today anyway. I normally eat dairy, egg and grain free but today I woke up feeling dizzy and sick so I 'needed' carbs. I really tried to resist and it wasn't until lunchtime that I gave in. So I've eaten 2000 calories of food that is just not good for me - AND I've still got dinner to have (320 calories). TOTM is due within the next few days so I can only blame it on that. The worst thing is that I also had to cancel training because I felt so rough. :( I've rescheduled it for 10:30 tomorrow morning so hopefully I'll feel better by then.

I've also started using some body shaping cream today and massaging my skin as well - as I lose weight, I am becoming very, very wobbly and I'm finding it really depressing as I have some serious muscles but you wouldn't know it at all by looking at me. :cry:I'm hoping that it will all tighten up as the weight comes off but am trying to give it a helping hand anyway. I'll be 40 in a couple of months and over the years I have yo-yo'd quite drastically in weight, so I wouldn't be surprised if the elasticity just wasn't there anymore. Anyway, we'll see.

Wednesday, 24 September - 12 st, 11lb

Don't ask... just don't ask. After posting on Monday I went a bit mental with food/wine. I then managed to start well enough yesterday but overdid it at dinner.

I've been unwell but it's no excuse. :( I've been back on it today and have trained this morning (even though I still feel really ropey with this cold) but I had to do something before things get any worse (not sure if that's possible - 5lb gain in 2 days?). Again, I'm hoping it's down to water retention but with my weight, you never know.

So yep, I've now brought things back under control and hope that I can still somehow wangle a loss by next Monday (although we're out for dinner on Saturday and have friends over on Sunday so it will be tough - all I can think is to train, train, train).

Friday, 26 September - 12st, 9lb

Thursday went down the pan as well as I was even sicker than before and was just craving carbs so I ate about half a loaf of bread. :rolleyes:

I'm still really full of cold today but decided I really needed to train anyway. I did my 5km run, sprints and boxing - burning a total of 1050 calories. I still feel utterly rubbish but am also taking care of my diet again today. It's pretty apparent I'm not going to lose my stone in September so as of 1 October, I'll start another, new challenge. In the meantime, I'll see how far I can get in the next few days. :) We're out for dinner tomorrow night and have friends over on Sunday but I'm just going to work hard with training to compensate.

7 more weeks until we head off to Australia so I'm going to go for the 'lose a stone before my holiday' challenge. I'll be incorporating the '6 week 6 pack' and 'No more trouble zones' DVDs from Jillian Michaels to see what happens.

Tuesday, 30 September - 12st, 9lb

No idea how I've managed to remain the same weight as I was on Friday after the weekend I've had! Dinner out on Saturday night, then friends over for a roast on Sunday.

I am also still full of this stinking cold! It's been over a week now and it just doesn't seem to be shifting. I've taken it easy (I still trained on Friday and also yesterday) but haven't been pushing myself on the diet - quite the opposite! Although Friday was good in terms of sticking to my plan, the cold didn't shift on the weekend so although I'd planned to get back on track then, all I've wanted is carbs. I'm going to plan out my food for this week anyway and make sure I stay on track from now.

I'm going to do the 6 week 6 pack and no more trouble zones DVDs plus a walk today - I'll report back later once I've done it all.

So, my 'lose a stone' challenge ended with me losing a total of 4lb. Although it's not the stone I was hoping for, it's still an average of 1lb a week and as most of the month had me dealing with my uncle's death followed by a stinking cold, it's a lot better than it could have been!

I'm now moving on to an October challenge - actually, it will be a 6 week challenge. I would like to lose a stone by 14 November as that is when we go on holiday - so 6 weeks today. I'm almost over my cold now so should hopefully have no obstacles between me and my goal.

Back