losingit's losingit again diary

losingit

Silver Member
(kinda long,.... i do waffle... will try to add some helpful waffle throughout the diary though for any poor souls that put up with it).

My dieting background:

Been fat on and off since i was 13. I come from a family of overweight people, mum, dad and brother are all 'morbidly obese'. My heaviest weight was 19stone2 which i recorded on 1 January 2012, although i think i have been heavier in the past, just used to be afraid to get myself weighed - got much better at facing up to things lately.

In 2011 i tried doing exante from a start weight of around 18stone. Lost 2 stone and then gave up and ate myself silly for the rest of 2011 (had about 3 attempts at restarting in between but never got past day 1). Put on 3 stone up to the 19stone2 that i started with for 2012.

I have done a few stints of low carb dieting before, both Atkins and Dukan diet style. I found them slower than the VLCD method but also more realistic and sustainable, and something i can see becoming a more lifelong habit if only i can stick with it. I tend to chicken out after a couple of months, which is silly.

I only ever remembering being 'somewhat normal' once in my life, just before i got pregnant with my daughter when i was 25. I think i weighed around 14stone and was going to the gym 5 days a week. I now work from home and look after my daughter fulltime so it's hard to get out to the gym, and i also have very bad knees and cannot walk long distances.

2012 - The year i turn 30!

My birthday is in August, and i will be 30 years old this year. It has made me take a step back and evaluate my life again. I feel like if i don't get my ass into gear and actually do this for the long term then i will be unhealthy for the rest of my life. I feel like i lost a good number of years of my youth to being fat. I missed out on lots of activities and fun because of my weight and became a withdrawn, shy, whale of a person who sits on the sidelines and watches everyone else have fun.

Well, not any more. I want to come back into the world again and live my life and stop being an observer. My daughter, who is almost 4 years old, is a real help on this too as she wants/demands that i take a greater role in her life, play with her, do fun things together, and this is increasing the older she gets. Thanks to her i have learnt to shake off a lot of my negativity and harmful thoughts, and learnt to value myself, if for no other reason that i have to because i'm the only one that is around for her.

2012 is my year
It's my turn to get healthy and i will not give in this time. I deserve this, my daughter needs it, and i have a whole life to be living - i want to get out there and have fun.

I love travelling, i want to be able to fit into seats on airplanes without being uncomfortable, i want to not look like "another beached whale Brit" while abroad and have all the locals stare at me, i want to run on the beach, put my swimming costume on and go for a swim in the sea without breaking into a sweat and collapsing under the weight of my fat and embarrassment.

I want to sit on rides at the fair ground (but not big roller coasters, no thanks!).
I want to be able to go upstairs without getting breathless.
I want to play in the park, be comfy in the cinema, and go bowling gracefully.
I want to wear pretty dresses, sleeveless tops, and go shopping in shops other than "Evans" and buy things other than sweatshirts, tshirts and supersize jeans.
I want people to take me more seriously in my business and on a professional level and i want the confidence to stand up and speak proudly infront of others.
I want to be alive to see my grandchildren be born, to collect my pension, and to enjoy my old age in good health.
I want to prove to my haters/expartners/exfriend that i'm not a worthless bag of ****.
I want to go and live abroad for a year and not be the fat one in the village, and blend in.

The Plan

Atkins is the plan for 2012. I am a big meat eater, quarter pounders and bigmacs and KFC chicken formed a big part of my diet in 2011 ;). Atkins and other low carb diets are a natural way of eating to me. I do love carbs too, i love all foods, but a diet where i'm allowed to eat steak every day fried in butter is my idea of heaven. So this is it.

I know i will be fine for the first 6 to 8 weeks. My problem is after that. I hope someone comes and hunts me down and gives me a big slap if i fall off the wagon, and doesn't accept ANY excuses from me. I need that. I find it hard to get this kind of motivation in my life though as i don't have any friends locally and my family don't really care whether i diet or not, infact the minute i become smaller than them they normally try and feed me up with cake!

I have noticed that with diets i go through a couple of phases:

- The obsessive phase. This is where i go mental counting every single calorie and weighing everything to the nearest 0.1gram and cross referencing all my sources 'just in case'. I'm prone to going above and beyond the call of the diet in this phase, if it says i can have 20g of carbs, i might aim for 10g or less, and so on. I weigh every day during this dieting phase and obsess over every fraction of a pound put on or lost.
- The 'don't give a damn' phase. Where i couldn't really care less about dieting, i can't be bothered to climb on the scales every day. I can still stick to a diet during this phase but will always push at the boundaries of what i can do and squeeze in as much food as possible, and have naughties perhaps once a week or more.

I've spent a long time trying to correct both of these attitudes and even it out into one long healthy eating attitude. But being quite frank here, it doesn't work for me. I don't fit into the guidelines of any food psychology manuals on this. So i decided to quit fighting and to roll with it, but plan ahead also so that i don't derail totally. When i'm obsessed with food, i'll just roll with it (it never lasts more than a few weeks so no danger of becoming too unhealthy!), and when i'm not giving a damn about anything, i'll roll with that too but try to keep myself on track by making sure i have to log on here at least once a week to say what i've been eating and how my weight is. I'm hoping having a little structure there and the knowledge i have to come here each week will limit any damage and keep me on the diet. Since this is Atkins too it shouldn't be impossible for me to stick to the diet as i do love protein foods!

The best thing that can happen for me is to be able to make it through a 'don't give a damn' phase without piling on 3 stone. It should be achievable, i've given myself permission now to *not* be obsessed with food but still stick broadly to plan. When i'm not obsessed, i don't have to be the total opposite afterall, just that sometimes being an angel gets to me after a while, lol. Even if i pile on 1 stone, it's way better than piling on all 3 and being back at the start + some more, this way i might actually get somewhere. This is worst case scenario of course, i hope it doesn't come to that. I have programmed my phone to send out an alarm each week for eternity so i have a reminder that i must come back here and be accountable to myself, even if no one else reads.

A few stats before I begin...

Clothes size= 22 / 24 from Evans (lol)
Start weight = 19stone2 = 268lbs
Start date = 1 January 2012
Start BMI = 46.0
Goal BMI = 25 (borderline between healthy and overweight)
Goal Weight = 145 lbs = 10stone5 = in my dreams, lol
Realistic target = below BMI 30 = 175lbs.

Targets to try and keep me interested and stop me thinking this is impossible:

Target 1 = BMI of 41
Target 2 = BMI of 39
Target 3 = BMI of 37
Target 4 = BMI of 35
Target 5 = BMI of 33
Target 5 = BMI of 31
If i ever get past this point then i'll re-evaluate!

----------------
Will add another post now to tell you where i have got to so far.

OK,... so far..

It's the 12th February, so a good few weeks in. When i started at the beginning of January, i was actually in a bit of a 'don't give a damn' phase which was unusual for me because i don't start diets normally at that point! I had however been promising myself for over a month that i'd 'start soon' on a diet, which turned into a big gorge over christmas.

Roll around 1st January and i didn't know what diet i was going to do, so i just went to doing the only one i really understood well and knew i could just jump into without having to read books and dig out loads of recipies: low carb. Being the 1st of January it felt very 'final' and that it was now or never so i just cracked on with it.

And that's what i have been doing ever since. The nice big fast weight loss that you get at the start of a keto diet gave me a real boost and pushed me into an 'obsessive' phase of dieting for the past couple of weeks, something which is wearing off slightly now and we are getting back into a 'don't give a damn' phase again (but crucially, still on plan). I did have a week's holiday away in the Canaries in the middle of January where i went rogue on my diet but it's not had a disasterous impact and as of today, my weightloss so far is 18lbs. Yes, could be better but i'm not going to be harsh, and celebrate it instead ;).

My sins thus far include a sneaky burger at McDonalds, and chinese takeaway, so all being considered it's going great. Weightloss is most definitely slowing down now though!!

I have been trying to find ways that i can exercise without damaging my knees any more (had surgery twice already, ick). Swimming is one way but i have no one to look after my daughter, and swimming with her isn't really exercise since i'd just be stood in the pool playing with her.... it's something i'd still do though and is better than nothing. I have for a long time debated the merits of creating space for some exercise equipment. Decided to go for it and spoke to my dr and did some research and came to the conclusion that a cross trainer is the best option for me, as it's the lowest impact cardio which causes least pain to my knees. I used to enjoy doing the cross/elliptical trainer at the gym, so i have ordered one now and cleared space in my bedroom. It comes on Tuesday. It wasn't cheap (the cheap ones might not be so good at my weight!) so the fact that it burnt a hole in my bank account might motivate me to actually use it to get my money's worth ;). I got a good deal though, a £700 cross trainer reduced to around £435. It's going to be MUCH easier to exercise without having to worry about what to do with my daughter.

Here's is what i have had to eat today, my diet is pretty dull by most people's standards but i actually love it (especially the steak part):

breakfast - 2 boiled eggs
lunch - great big panfried steak (pink in the middle, just perfect, did i tell you i like steak?!), mushrooms (in the same pan as the steak so they absorb the yumminess) and broccoli.

Not sure what i'll have later tonight, i usually have a snacky type meal in the evenings, something like melted cheddar cheese on vegetables (yummmmm) as i'm currently well into ketosis and so not feeling the hunger so much (as long as i eat enough earlier in the day). I have some chicken legs in the fridge i might cook too, with a small salad, we'll see.

I do get problems with going to the toilet on low carb diets. For this i take psyllium husks each day which keeps everything 'moving' and healthy.

I actually spend less money on food than i did before i started to diet, despite eating expensive meat and fish regularly. I can do this by going to the wholesalers for meat and stocking up my freezer, and less takeaways. I am spending around £50/week vs £75+ before. I normally give my daughter similar meals to myself but add some carbs to her meals, she eats toast with her eggs for instance, or a potato with her meat and so on, and she has sauces.

Sweets and crisps had to be banned from the house as i cannot resist them, but she gets plenty of unhealthy treats from my mom and dad anyway, or sometimes i'll buy her a small something from the petrol station when i fill up (in very small quantities so i have none hanging around!).

Welcome losingit... Great diary ! Sounds like you have your focus and enthusiasm ... Hope it goes well for you and well done for the amount you've lost so far!! That's a brilliant start! :) x

Hi losingit - great to see you diary and well done really thinking this through. You CAN do this and make it a way of life so it doesnt matter which head phase you are in. Stick with us here - i know this site is the only reason i have succeeded - people who understand, help and to hold myself accountable to;) keep it up:D

Well done on your loss, and just keep focus on that 30th Birthday goal!!! Cross trainers are fab, I bought one back in 2003 and went on to lose 4 stone alongside WW...the diet unfortunately wasn't sustainable!!!

I've been doing Atkins since January properly and I'm down a stone which I'm happy with over a 6 week period as the slowest losses are the ones best kept off and better for avoiding sagging skin :0) I still love it and go through phases the same as you! But this time I've not had the 'I can't be bothered phase' as for me I'm 35 this year and it's now or never!!

So keep up the good work! It'll be worth it, and if your feeling like throwing in the towel always go back to your first post and realise how bad you felt and how far you've come! My first post is over on the Exante board, and I remember how horrific I felt and so so sad every time I re read it that it's all the motivation I need as I'll never go back there again!

Good luck x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi Losingit and welcome - this is a great forum, everyone is very friendly and has lots of advice and tips :)

A lot of the information in your post rang true for me too - I do all the researrch, get obsessive, have a boost, then soon get the "don't care" phase - which lasts way too long for me :D

Didn't expect all the responses, assumed no one would put up with my rambling, thanks for reading and for the encouragement, i'm feeling really positive today :=).

Just had a tuna mayonnaise and cucumber snack, was yummy. Looking forward to shopping day as running low on food options now, it's looking like chicken and eggs all day tomorrow.

Cross trainer is due to arrive on Tuesday morning. I imagine my first day's exercise will be in putting it all together though rather than actually going on it ;-).

I sympathise with the "now or never" thing, i kinda feel like that this year after so many years of failed diets. I never thought i'd be effected by turning 30 but it has become quite significant in my mind. It is just 6 months away and i absolutely don't want to be a "fat 30"... not sure what the reality will be but if i can lose 4 more stone by my birthday i'd be over the moon.

Thanks for the support, really appreciating it :). Good luck everyone, let's keep on doing what we are doing, it's all looking good, i'm seeing so many great losses on this part of the forum and people close to target, which speaks volumes about how good this way of eating is :)

Hey! Congrats on your loss! This forum is helping me so much. It's nice to talk to people that understand and I get a good laugh sometimes too :) hang in with it and you won't be sorry!

Decided to try and set a weekly weigh in day so that i can see progress a bit clearer. I'm a daily weigher, which i know is bad but i just can't help it. Since the weightloss slowed down the past couple of weeks i'm feeling often like i'm getting nowhere and the scales are just fluctuating or even going up. But i'm going to try recording my weight each Monday in the hopes i can see progress, and i'll add it to my signature like other people have here so i can be reminded of it :).

In the last 7 days then, my weight loss is a grand total of 1.8lbs. Normally would be disappointed at this but actually it's more than i thought because i was convinced that i wasn't losing any - and i did have one slip up midway through last week, but looking back over my daily recordings, that is what it is and i did lose weight, so i'm kinda proud now.

Shopping day today! Used to hate shopping day, always used to be 'binge day' because i'd come back with so much junk from the supermarket, a lot of times "fresh" junk that needed eating within a few days, cream cakes and pizzas and stuff which gave me an excuse to sit and binge for 2 days to avoid wasting it. Then i'd have next to no food left for the rest of the week, but instead of getting by on the boring stuff would simply go out and get a takeaway til next shopping day, rinse and repeat. Kinda different when on this diet since there is no huge hunger for the most part, and i have a strict list to keep to with clear boundaries.

Can't wait for the cross-trainer to arrive tomorrow!

Well, that's all for now folks, hope everyone is doing OK and keeping on track :)

You are so like me in the shopping department... Your last post was exactly what I did ! Looking forward to hearing about your cross trainer... I've got a vibro plate and have only used it once!! Lol xx

Everything you wrote in your first post, about "stages"- obsessive and then bored- and in that one right there ^ about former binge days and takeaways, could have been me!

I get the "now or never" thing too. This really is it, I kinda woke up one day knowing that I wasn't that fat person anymore, not inside. All I had to do was get my body to match up with how I suddenly felt! It just "clicked". Took me a while to find low carb, but with hindsight it's sooo obvious this is what I needed that it makes me want to bash my head on things.

As for the obsessive daily weighing, I do it, but actually the longer it goes on the less I worry about it. It's the weeklies I really pay attention to. Given that every month I blow up by 5 or 6lb regardless, I can't afford to panic, so after a while I started being a tad more calm about it. Hopefully you'll find that too, even if, like me, you HAVE to check anyway! :rolleyes:

Keep your purpose in mind, celebrate your victories, forget the setbacks, and you'll get there before you know it! :flirt2:

You are so like me in the shopping department... Your last post was exactly what I did ! Looking forward to hearing about your cross trainer... I've got a vibro plate and have only used it once!! Lol xx

I don't know what a vibro plate is....do I want to know?? :eek: :D

(Dragging my mind out of the gutter for a second, I can actually imagine a battery-operated dieter's dinner plate that shakes so much all the food falls off. New on QVC! Lower your calories the vibro plate way! ;))

Love your posts boggins!! X

Vibro plates work when used - Quak (Bren) will give you the low down - I'm just far better at ideas and purchases rather than implementation ! Lol x

haha.. a vibroplate is like a platform that you stand on and it vibrates. Actually more than vibrates, it feels like it is shaking your bones apart, i really didn't like the sensation at all when i tried one at a gym a few years ago! You are meant to do stretching type exercises while going on it, or making different postures, the vibrations supposedly strengthen your bones whilst giving your muscles more tone/workout at the same time. Some people swear by them but for myself, the sensation just felt awful.

It's good (or very bad!) to know that i'm not the only one who had this kind of eating pattern with the shopping, binging, etc. I'm in good company here. Boggins, and Alpaca, you both lost so much weight, wow, that is so inspirational and i can't wait (weight) to show a similar loss ;). 70-80lbs+ sounds impossible right now but i see that you guys did it, well done ;).

Love your posts boggins!! X

Vibro plates work when used - Quak (Bren) will give you the low down - I'm just far better at ideas and purchases rather than implementation ! Lol x

haha, me too. Cross trainer might become a handy dust collector by the end of the week. I'm gonna print out a 'timetable' and stick it right on my wall so that i have to walk past it every day. Going to aim for 10 minutes a day which surely should be achievable even for me :).

Hi and welcome, I've just found your diary and will be following it :)

Re the shopping - I have massively reduced the junk I buy by doing it online.

I might add naughty things to the basket but I get tough with myself at the online checkout and then Mr Tesco delivers only what I need :)

boggins said:
I don't know what a vibro plate is....do I want to know?? :eek: :D

(Dragging my mind out of the gutter for a second, I can actually imagine a battery-operated dieter's dinner plate that shakes so much all the food falls off. New on QVC! Lower your calories the vibro plate way! ;))

Hahaha!! Too funny :)

Back