losingit's losingit again diary

Yes, sticking with it still, thanks for the kind messages, really helps and will return the favour one day ;).

Todays food:

breakfast: 3 chipolata sausages and 25g cheese
lunch: Large piece of salmon with butter and cabbage
dinner: homemade beefburgers (made with 250g mince, 1 mushroom, 1 small onion & 1 egg), and 25g cheese
snack: Tin of tuna with 2 teaspoons of mayonnaise

Probably could have done better on the veg today, didn't quite have enough, but otherwise a perfect day.

Did 30 minutes on the cross trainer today, really proud of myself, it was not easy!

Morning, it's the weekend and I have a great day planned today, I'm off to the Litten tree to watch the cricket. no duties at all today. :D

How's it going today? I've not lost a thing this week, I blame my (very modest) splurge on Valentine's day. I'm logging my food on MFP again until I get back on track- naughty me. Hope all's going well!

Evening losingit... Hope you see a shift soon! X

Hi there, been neglecting the forum a bit lately, busy with my business over the weekend.

Mostly doing OK. Yesterday i was very good, can't remember exactly what i ate but i was super good and stuck 100% to plan and even had plenty of veg. I did have a bit of a problem though, this time caffeine related. I used to be a huge cola addict and used to drink only coke or pepsi and no water at all. When i started the diet in January i used the opportunity to wean myself off the coke and i haven't had any now for around 5 weeks at least. Well when i was out at the supermarket i got very thirsty suddenly and just happened to notice a buy 1 get 1 free on the Pepsi Max. So i grabbed two 600ml bottles and proceeded to drink them both, thinking that it'll be fine cos it's 'diet' and not sugar. I've always been a bit sensitive to caffeine but this time it really hit me - it's normally a 'nice' feeling and an energy boost, but this time i felt like i'd been punched in the head. I had heart palpitations and couldn't sit still and was unable to get to sleep until 3am. Then woke up early at 6am feeling shaky and like i had flu. Was also starving hungry. I ran to the fridge and ate 4 cherry tomatoes and some cheese, then cooked myself cheesy broccoli for breakfast and had a couple of big glasses of water. Felt totally back to normal after that! No idea why it effected me this badly, perhaps something to do with Ketosis and sticking on the diet for a long time (long time for me, i'm usually giving up about now!).

Drama over - today, i've been on the cross trainer for 30 minutes again. Not a very good 30 minutes since my daughter kept disturbing me, had to stop twice, but it was still 30 minutes and i did it :). Settling into a "1 day on 1 day off" routine with the exercise which is working out quite nicely. It is getting a little easier already, i don't think i'll ever feel like i did the very first time i got on there and did 5 minutes and felt like i was dying!

Diet today has been mostly good. Lots of veg. I may have edged over my allowance for cream, it's pretty 'dangerous' - i wish they sold it in smaller pots because once i start eating it i find it hard to stop.

I have had a bit of a breakthrough with the scales. For 5 days straight i was the same or gaining, and i was thinking i would end the week with a gain instead of a loss. But the last 2 days the scales just dropped 2 to 3lbs just like that, no rhyme or reason. The first day i thought i might have been dehydrated so drank more, but the second day even more was gone. I'm not complaining. I think it's pretty cool - although i've done Atkins before several times and heard of the "whoosh" effect i've never experienced it myself until now. I like it! Normally i would have given up by now, but it has given me a bit of a boost to continue and came just in time. Not sure what my final figure will be tomorrow, might only be -2lbs, but i'm happy (if i can possible continue doing 2lbs a week i'll lose 56lbs by my 30th, a huge 4 stone! - i really hope i make it and it continues).

How's everyone else doing?
boggins - keep going, you are doing great to stay on track after your valentine's treat - and you might be going through the same thing i did this week, if my weigh in days were different i too would have had to record a gain, but now it's going again.

I know exactly what you mean on the diet coke, I used to drink loads of it, then gave up completely.

Had one two weeks ago and - omg head spins, palpitations, phew, had to sit down for 10 minutes!

And brill news on the trainer - and the whooshie fairy!

Morning love, well done sounds like you're on track then.

I had that one morning at Euston station, I've been drinking decaf for years, I decided to have a coffee whilst I waited for the train, it was starbucks and wow, did i feel strange, palpitation, cold sweats the lot. Never again, caffeine is evil!

Well done on the 2lb loss, I'm envious! Shows if you keep going, it works in the end.

I think you lot might have convinced me to switch to decaf! I've only just weaned myself off having sweetener in my coffee, now I gotta lose the caffeine too.

I'm bummed this morning, still no scale movement. You ever have a day when you're SURE you've lost, you "feel" lighter? That was me this morning. So you can imagine I wanted to throw things when I did get on the scale! Good job I'm so stubborn. Cut the cream, cut the caffeine and KEEP GOING! :mad: <-- that's supposed to be a determined face, not an angry face.

Official weigh in day and -2lbs yay.

Boggins, keep going. I read online somewhere that when fat is lost that water can flood the old empty fat cells initially which lead to it looking like no loss, then at some point all the water is 'flushed' out of your system and you see it on the scales suddenly. (google 'atkins whoosh effect' or something, that's where i found it). I think this is what happened with me, although it only lasted 5 days, and could be the real cause of stalls, and knowing that fat is still being lost and the extra weight could just be water that is ready to be flushed out at any minute - was really helpful for me as it means that progress on burning the fat is being made every single day i'm dieting.

Well done, and yes, that's a good description of the whooshie fairy :)

Hi losingit. Well done on the loss and scary on the diet coke - it's enough to make you give it up:p

Still going strong here :).

Settled into a nice routine with the cross trainer, 30 minutes every other day. I know it's not a huge amount of exercise but i'm doing it and i think it's sustainable. Infact, i'm really loving not having to get dressed up for the gym - exercising in my pajamas and slippers (ok, so i probably should put proper shoes on, i get that bit) is so much better and then i can roll straight into the shower and finish off with 10 minutes chilling on the bed and reading, it's much more enjoyable, these little things make a difference for me!

On the subject of exercise, i'm surprised how fast my fitness is improving in a short space of time. When i first started exercise a couple of weeks ago i couldn't bear more than 10 minutes on the cross trainer and even when i could do longer i could only burn off around 50-60 calories on the very lowest setting before i'd have to lie down. Then it'd take me more than 30 minutes to recover before i could even stand up. This morning i burned a grand total of 205 calories on a higher resistance, felt exhausted but was able to feel fine within 5 to 10 minutes and didn't have to collapse on the bed at all!

An interesting pattern i'm noticing is that on the days where i exercise, the following morning the scales don't really show any loss, but the day after i drop like 1lb. My weight has been doing this all week, i think it must be something to do with my muscles holding water on exercise day to recover, and then dropping the water the following day when not exercising. Scales are showing around 2.5lbs lost since monday which is interesting, hope it's not a mistake and it continues until weigh in day on monday, if so it will be a good one :).

As far as the diet goes, all is good. I had a mad moment last night on the way home with my daughter where i felt tired and hungry and had a craving for some chips. It's the first time i've wanted anything at all like that, but i resisted and we came home and i cooked some homemade beefburgers and they were yummy :), definitely the right decision. Must remember to take snacks out with me next time.

Well, that's all for now. Hope everyone else is doing OK.

Hi Losingit
So glad I found your diary, just spent the last half hour reading from the beginning. It is really inspirational especially as I relate to so much of what you have said. I am on my 4th day of Atkins today, and looking forward to weigh in on Monday. I have spent the last 6 years at SW and twice lost 4 stone and put it back on plus more but really enjoying Atkins, I only ever did red days at SW anyway. Coke zero is my downfall but have cut down from approx 5/6 cans a day to one and managing to drink 2 L plus water a day.

Well done on your weight loss.

Well done on the fitness levels, losingit, and creating the right conditions to do it too :)

And very well done on resisting the chips! You can always have celeriac chips next time you feel that way :)

Well done on the exercise losingit - really great to do and i agree that body often to seems to hang on to water a bit afterwards:)

Good news on resisting chips - even now i never go out the door without an atkins frindly snack in my bag - it's not about willpower it's about planning for me:D

I don't even like potato that much, no idea why i was craving the chips. Thinking on it i feel my body was asking for fat and the carb part was an aside, cos i was totally happy when i ate my (fatty) burgers when i got home.

nevadiva - it sounds like Atkins will be pretty good for you. I really do feel it is a more sustainable way of eating than many other diets and it's so amazing not to feel deprived all the time! It is a really easy diet to still follow even if you don't feel much like doing it... and makes me feel energetic and alive, rather than walking around like a zombie as in some past diets. Hope your first week goes well, will look out for your first weigh in, ;-).

ladyfelsham, i have never tried celeriac. Must do one day! One of my weirder snacks at the moment is to shred some cabbage and fry it in butter and a sprinkle of salt. Actually i cook most of my cabbage this way, it's especially good thrown in the pan after cooking meat of any kind, picks up all the flavour ;).

Had a difficult day yesterday. Was hungry as i didn't have much food in the house, and then went shopping on an empty stomach, which was a big mistake. Combine that with a good dose of PMT and we have a problem. I went on a bit of a binge, although it was very much an "Atkins binge" as it wasn't carb based, but a binge it was and that's not good. Here is what i ate:

- a whole joint of bacon from the hot deli counter in Tesco. The whole thing (it was big)
- around 150g of cream mixed with splenda
- a whole (large) packet of prawns

Hmm, written down it doesn't look sooo bad, but it has left me feeling yuck and with a bloated tummy. The only bit that wasn't OK is the cream but even that was still do-able since it was less than 1g of carbs. Thankfully, protein binges are pretty self limiting compared to carb ones and you don't get the whole multi-binge thing going on where you have a binge, wait an hour, then have another one, lol.

Woke up this morning feeling all bloated and in a "can't be bothered" kinda mood. It was meant to be exercise day today and for the first time so far i just wasn't feeling it. However, i did get my bum out of bed and do it anyway and i'm glad i did because i feel a bit better now, and even managed to burn 225 calories in 30 minutes today despite me thinking i had no energy.

Put on 1lb on the scales this morning which was hardly surprising. Still got the weekend to get rid of it again though before official weigh in on Monday.

Morning losing it, don't beat yourself up today is a new day! Remember to drink plenty of water , and well done on the exercise :)

Back