Lost & Found... Map Gone AWOL!

i think you have done fab in already identifying that today you have to tread carefully! Half the battle is accepting whats done is done, but was enjoyed...and now back on track and you can do it! Your strong, positive and determined hun!
Today is a whole new day..! :D
xx

How are you going today Katy? People at work tonight are having chinese but gonna make my sandwiches and say i have forgotten my money. Bad, isn't it? I dont want chinese tho but will get moaned at by friends. Oh well! Last night thank goodness until wednesday xx

Oh I can sooo relate to that Katy! Last Sunday...party...planned to get back on track Monday, but too much left over food that I really didn't want to waste, so ended up 'picking' on Monday, and then took mum and dad to airport on Tuesday, where I had lunch out with them - I did pick the better lunch, but still, I should really have planned much better and not picked on the Monday at all. Have really pulled back since Wednesday and worked hard, but this is why I was so shocked at losing when weighing in this morning. It's so hard these triggers sometimes, but I will definitely be keeping an eye on your diary over the next few days to see how you get on. I'm sure you will be on track today, so this will be a big motivator for me, esp with my b'day fast approaching...I have been looking forward to a Mexican out for a long long time! On the other hand, I want to be able to have the Mexican but get back on track and finish the job from the next day. x

Hey! Katy you are doing brilliantly! Can't wait to be doing the same, making informed choices once I've got rid off the excess!

Thanks all.

Bad day.

Temptation to run and hide is very strong, but I can't do that - have to be brave and take control again. I KNEW this morning I was in a wobbly place, and still found myself falling. Binge ate about 10 choc digestives... barely tasted them, don't even LIKE them... so upset. Still can feel that awful sweet taste in my mouth, even an hour or so later... will go brush teeth.

So. Back at Day One tomorrow, and it feels like letting myself down and all of you as well. But If I can get back on track NOW and stay steady then I will be OK. The ticking off the days works both ways. If I can get to eight good days, that is fab. I DO NOT want to have eight BAD days. Or even one. Well, today is one alas but it WON'T be two... so I am posting and owning up and trying to steel myself to be strong.

I knew last night that all those cakes and sweet things would test me, and I guess it was too soon to be tested that way.

Sigh.

xxx

I'm sorry that you are so upset and understand why. xxx

Day one doesn't have to begin tomorrow, it can begin right now. Put it behind you, it's not so awful anyway, just frightening for you. Be gentle with yourself, we can't find an instant 'cure' for this. There are bound to be episodes like this for us all, hopefully they will get fewer, that's all.

Re-read KD's post on 'normal eating', what you did was fairly normal you know, it says so there. And you haven't let anyone down, try to make it feel like less of a big deal, I know it's hard but it might just begin to feel like one. xx

Bad day.

Temptation to run and hide is very strong, but I can't do that - have to be brave and take control again. I KNEW this morning I was in a wobbly place, and still found myself falling. Binge ate about 10 choc digestives... barely tasted them, don't even LIKE them... so upset.

That's not a bad day Katy. It's a day when you chose 10 choc biscs instead of a healthier meal.

Just remember that you don't need much else today as you've already had it.

If you consider it a 'bad' day, then hey...might aswell start being good again tomorrow ;)

This is all part of it. Sometimes 10 choc biscs seem the best meal option if you don't think it through. But it's a meal option all the same. A big one. But your choice of how to use the calories.

It wasn't a binge. It's not a 'bad' day YET.

aw Katy, dont be disheartened by this!
Ten biscuits is ten biscuits....but just move on from it now. No fresh start tomorrow...start now. You know the damage, and you ALSO know that it can be rectified hun!
Be strong and dont let those emotional feelings keep you from moving on to starting that 8 day run again!
Hugs hun!
:D
xx

You don't even have to start the run again. The 10 biscuits isn't a problem, it's how you view them.

It's a shame you didn't enjoy them, but you'll know that for next time.

At least you knew how many you had ;) That's good

Have you tried pausing midway?

Thanks Bess, KD & Lizz. Thanks for being there. Lots of good advice. Yes, the binge stops NOW. I can still step back from the edge, before I get too close and find myself falling. It stands at 10 biccies, or 9, I didn't count but know it was more than a handful.

KD, huge revealation... if I don't eat again, that does lessen the impact of the biscuits and pushes home the knowledge that it wasn't worth it. And obviously makes a bad day less catostrophic cal-wise. (I know I ate more cals yesterday, but felt fine about that as I chose to do it and it felt normal. Choosing biscuits that were not even bought for me but for the builders doing roof, that was NOT normal.)

But still better to see it as a choice rather than a binge.

And yes, day 9 can at least be finished in a good, healthy way before I start on Day 1 again.

thank you, thank you, thank you.

xxx

Cross-posted KD. I don't have to start over? Really?

Didn't know the exact amount of biccies. Estimate 8, 9 or 10 max. So stupid when I don't even like them really! Was rebellion or stubbornness or SOMETHING, linked to the yummy treats of last night.

As for pause, I have conveniently forgotten to try this over last month or so. Interestingly, biccies were eaten in two goes... if had paused after first, maybe I could have got away with just 4 or 5 and still learned a lesson.

Would I not feel like a cheat to go on counting the days instead of going back to start? It's not really normal to scarf 10 biscuits is it?

xxx

KD, huge revealation... if I don't eat again, that does lessen the impact of the biscuits and pushes home the knowledge that it wasn't worth it.

You can probably eat again today, depending on what else you've had, but just keep it light. Don't deprive too much ;)

Not sure what your maintenance calories are, but 10 choc digestives is about half of your days 'allowance'.

Yes, I can see the difference between what you did and what a 'normal' eater would have done, but small steps.

The answer is still the same. Eat less now...don't need so much...no beating ups....no feeling you've failed.

I must admit I don't like this counting days of being 'good'. I think it's damaging. Nor do I like the idea that you feel it's a bad day. It's a learning day. A day of practising what to do when you eat stuff you don't particularly like.

It's when you have those days that you learn the most. That's not bad. It's an opportunity to find answers.

Cross-posted KD. I don't have to start over? Really?

Didn't know the exact amount of biccies. Estimate 8, 9 or 10 max. So stupid when I don't even like them really! Was rebellion or stubbornness or SOMETHING, linked to the yummy treats of last night.

As for pause, I have conveniently forgotten to try this over last month or so. Interestingly, biccies were eaten in two goes... if had paused after first, maybe I could have got away with just 4 or 5 and still learned a lesson.

Would I not feel like a cheat to go on counting the days instead of going back to start? It's not really normal to scarf 10 biscuits is it?

xxx

Crossed posts again :D But I think I preguessed what you were thinking. Will check after I've pressed submit.

Teehee, yes I think I answered your points before I saw your question :D

Oh KD. Where would I be without you? It's like you can see into my muddled head and iron out the mixed-up bits and make it clearer and less scary for me, and I know you do the same for so many others.

Counting days... at the start, it really helped. It made me feel stronger as I put some 'normal' days between me and the binge weeks. Now, though, after this slip, it makes me feel like a failure. Maybe I will stop counting? Just take each day as it comes and make it the best I can.

And I can have some tea but on a small plate, and not feel deprived. Big hugs KD, thank you, I must drive you nuts sometimes.

xxx

does the Counting help you hun?
I know its not something you will want to do forever, but while your feeling unsteady then needs must.

What you have done sounds pretty "normal" to me....planned night out last night, eaten something naughty today, cursed yourself and made sure you dont carry it on any longer with more naughty food.

I hate to tell you this hun...but i look forward to being able to do this! :D

A mistake is only a mistake if you never learn from it!!!

xxx

Counting days... at the start, it really helped. It made me feel stronger as I put some 'normal' days between me and the binge weeks. Now, though, after this slip, it makes me feel like a failure. Maybe I will stop counting?

I think that's the problem. Counting them when days are good is all very well, but when things go off plan, I think it can be damaging. Just my opinion and all :)

Just take each day as it comes and make it the best I can.

Sort of, but not each day...each moment. The 10 biscuits didn't make a bad day, but they could do if you think in days.

And I can have some tea but on a small plate, and not feel deprived. Big hugs KD, thank you, I must drive you nuts sometimes.

xxx

Not at all. You're doing great Katy. Really. Today is a fantastic day for you. In fact, I'm rather pleased it happened, because maintenance is not being perfect. It's not even about planing an imperfection. A big part of it is about knowing what to do in the 'now', when the unexpected happens.

think about what a 'normal' eater would do. Okay they might not eat 10 biscuits they didn't like, but they may have gone to grannies and been 'force fed' an enormous dinner that they didn't want. I know it's slightly different as we have do it to ourselves, rather than granny force feeding, but nevertheless it's similar.

they could come home and beat themselves up for not standing up to Granny.

They could come home and say "blast I didn't eat normally today...I must start again tomorrow". They would just think "Urgggg, didn't enjoy that. Wonder how I can deal with her next time it happens", along with "really don't need much supper...I'm stuffed" Blast the Granny :D

Just to add on the "good day / bad day" thing... maintenance is not a day, it isn't a moment, it is a lifetime, day after day after day and therefore cannot be measured by isolated incidents, 10 or even 20 choccie biscuits will have little impact on their own, it is the overall pattern that's important.

Yesterday I had an entire bag of handmade chocolate fudge, did I fail? did I have a bad day? do I need to start again tomorrow? Nope I just had a bag of fudge, enjoyed it, I shan't have one today and probably not for a while.

I'm not sure I am expressing myself very clearly but in a nutshell, you haven't failed sweetheart, you just had some biscuits, possibly more than you wanted or needed but we do that sometimes.

xx

Porgeous, WHOA that helps a lot... maintenance is not a day... yikes. Going back to what KD said earlier, maybe it was worth this day because the lessons are coming at me fast. And things I haven't thought of before. I wish I wasn't such a slow learner, but... again, I have a lifetime of maintaining to learn those lessons, right?

Today... think I had the map upside-down, but hey, at least I still have it.

xxx

Last edited:
Katy, what KD and Porgeous have said in respect to maintenance now makes sense to me too! Had I realised that when I first lost on CD least year I would managed maintenance better. Instead of maintaining, I carried on with the "binges" and what I should have done and what you should do now is ask yourself why you had the biscuits? If you can address the issue (where you stressed, anxious - you have building work going on right? Certainly not stress free if you are juggling stuff?) By no means am the expert like the others that have posted but I know I am going to have similar experiences ahead. I guess what everyone is saying is make a different choice of food tomorrow, the next day and the next .....if you have somethign you regret having then start again. It seems the maintenance really is the hardest part of losing weight (sigh!) but clearly it can be done, look at the successful maintainers on here. This time in January 2010 you will be advising on maintenance because you too will have succeeded for that much longer. x

Back