Low Calorie Milk??

littlemiss

Silver Member
Hey!!

I love my cups of tea and coffee but it seems to be my downfall when it comes to cals, each cup of tea/coffee is 100 cals, I've only just realised this, I thought it was only 50 each - but 25cal for a rounded t.spoon of sugar - 75cal for 150ml semi skimmed milk in every cup. I'm happy with the 25cal for sugar, but what can I do regarding milk? Is there any low cal milk out there, or any other warm drinks that I could replace with?

Black coffee? It may take a while for your tastebuds to adjust, so just reduce the milk gradually, but once you're used to it you won't be able to stand milky drinks, honest! Or how about fruit or herbal teas, no milk required. Even an Options hot choc is only 40 cals and delicious. :) xx

Hey!!

I love my cups of tea and coffee but it seems to be my downfall when it comes to cals, each cup of tea/coffee is 100 cals, I've only just realised this, I thought it was only 50 each - but 25cal for a rounded t.spoon of sugar - 75cal for 150ml semi skimmed milk in every cup. I'm happy with the 25cal for sugar, but what can I do regarding milk? Is there any low cal milk out there, or any other warm drinks that I could replace with?

Could you use skimmed milk instead of semi skimmed? I drink it in my tea all the time and I actually find tea with full fat milk a bit gross and creamy now!

150ml seems like a lot for each cuppa? You must like milky tea! I usually only have 50ml max per cuppa (normal size mug).

As for other drinks to replace tea, nothing quote hits the spot for me that tea does but you could try those Options or Highlights sachets of hot choc? There are lots of flavours available and you wouldn't need to add sugar.

I used to take sugar in my tea but gave it up one year for Lent and now I couldn't stomach it at all! Maybe try that?!!! X

Thanks everyone!

Yeah, I like my baby tea, I was suprised at how much I take too. I was thinking maybe just put 50ml in.

I didn't know you could get skimmed milk, I thought semi-skimmed was the lowest cal cows milk, do you know the cals in skimmed? Is that the red carton? I'll have a look next time i'm in a shop.

xxxxx

Thanks everyone!

Yeah, I like my baby tea, I was suprised at how much I take too. I was thinking maybe just put 50ml in.

I didn't know you could get skimmed milk, I thought semi-skimmed was the lowest cal cows milk, do you know the cals in skimmed? Is that the red carton? I'll have a look next time i'm in a shop.

xxxxx

I'm in Ireland and our skimmed milk comes in a pink carton. It's around 18 cals for 50ml I think. Not sure if that's a huge amount lower than semi-skimmed. We also call semi-skimmed "low fat milk" here but I think they're the same thing really. Skimmed milk is also called "fat free" here. Although obviously it has a little fat in it!

i once bought almond milk - alpro make it - unsweetened and it was nice in my coffee its lower in cals than skimmed milk xx

100ml of skimmed milk (in UK Tescos, Asda, Morrisons etc that's the red top milk bottle) is 35 calories

If you were to drink it as a glass of milk, you'd maybe notice the difference but it wouldn't take long to get used to it. I swapped months ago from green (semi skimmed) to red (skimmed) milk, and for tea, it took maybe 2 or 3 cups to get used to it, and for cereal, it was only a couple of bowls til I didn't notice a difference :)
Never noticed a difference with hot chocolate, or nesquik or anything that flavours the milk :)

Some supermarkets do 1% fat milk, which is in orange-topped bottles, or purple topped bottles, but I am not sure on the calories for that - I try to stick to red milk as it's easier to get than the orange milk ;)

Blue top -whole milk

Green top - semi skimmed

Red top - skimmed

Purple top - 1% milk - which I think is halfway between skimmed and semi skimmed.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Purple top - 1% milk - which I think is halfway between skimmed and semi skimmed.

Except in Sainsburys where its orange topped.
I love 1% milk, tastes the same as semi skimmed to me and i drink loads.
My local shop doesn't sell it tho so have semi skimmed.

I also love 1% better than semi and nice in cereal. But if its just for tea go for skimmed cos you really wont notice!

My whole family have 1% milk it's better than skimmed which I think might as well be water it's well see thru!!

Thanks ladies!!

I was reading that Almond Milk is the least in cals but I think i'll give skimmed a try first, well, i'm in Sainsburys tomorrow so i'll have a look at both & see whats the lowest, I used to drink only whole milk (years ago) then when I moved in with OH he drank semi-skimmed & I got used to it so i'm sure i'll get used to skimmed.

Almond milk is lovely in protein shakes, but in tea or coffee or cereal - NASTY! I drink skimmed milk & have drunk it for so long that I much prefer it to semi skimmed or whole.

I have cups of tea with 50ml skimmed and sweetener which comes to 25cals. Sometimes I have alpro light soya milk too which takes getting used too but thats only 22 cals per 100ml so pretty low compared! I love having it for my options instead of water as its quite thick and creamy :)

After drinking skimmed milk for years even semi-skimmed tastes really creamy to me. Skimmed all the way for me - even my starbucks latte's are skinnies.

Milk is one of those annoying things that you just dont think would be alot of cals, I used to always think the sugar is what made the cals high, but its the milk, its so wierd because it doesn't taste fattening or really particularly nice - i mean milk's ok, I could drink a glass...

Well, I tried skimmed today, and to be honest, totally no difference from semi-skimmed, only thing is that it looked thinner when I was pouring it. I might try & lower the amount to 50ml and put in less sugar, doesn't help that i have massive tea spoons and its difficult to measure, might use a 1/4 of a teaspoon sugar, god knows how many cals that is..

xxxx

Milk is one of those annoying things that you just dont think would be alot of cals, I used to always think the sugar is what made the cals high, but its the milk, its so wierd because it doesn't taste fattening or really particularly nice - i mean milk's ok, I could drink a glass...

Well, I tried skimmed today, and to be honest, totally no difference from semi-skimmed, only thing is that it looked thinner when I was pouring it. I might try & lower the amount to 50ml and put in less sugar, doesn't help that i have massive tea spoons and its difficult to measure, might use a 1/4 of a teaspoon sugar, god knows how many cals that is..

xxxx

Get sugar cubes instead so the sugar is portioned & it's easier to know the calories :) or try sweeteners xxx

I've just realised I'm having about 120 cals every day in tea with milk :-( bugger ..!!

Actually .. Half that :) I measured the milk properly .. I have 30 mls skimmed I'm tea ... And about 6 cups tea day .. That's 60 calories .. Still don't count that tho .. I ought to :-(

thats not too bad linski24 - I figured out I was consuming 700 cals worth a day

Well, i've been on the skimmed milk since yesterday, very slight difference in taste and iv managed to cut down to 100ml so thats only 35 cals and i've been having a flat teaspoon of sugar rather than a rounded which I think is about 20 cals i'll check it later. Hate sweetner :(

xxx

Back