Total Solution Lynne's journey to losing 6stone and running 5k. Countdown to Philadelphia.

I can't remember why but I read a while back about how it is good for women to do free weights.

Yes it's very good Lynne - as you build strong supple muscle mass it speeds up your metabolism. There's loads of good stuff free online if you google x

Originally when I joined the gym the guy who ran it insisted that women did some free weight work. I only stopped doing it when I did exercises on the power plate as I was working the same muscles but in quarter of the time.

Hiya Lynne, hope today's a good one for you xx

Getting serious on the exercise front Lynne, well done xx

Are you managing to fit the gym in lynne?
Hows diet going after holiday?
Sometimes it can be tough to get back on track? X

Thanks everyone. Sorry I'm not about much at the minute. Working long days and don't have much free time. I'll try to catch up more when I get a but more time.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good books on weights training for women?

Hi Lynne, no real recommendations as I have only just started looking for more info on weight training for women too. I am also a long way off putting any of it into practice! I came across 'Thinner, Leaner, Stronger' on amazon and I saw on Sleek_Chick's diary she had mentioned weight training and she said she had heard of 'The New Rules of Lifting for Women'.

I purchased the first book and I have read a bit today and there is some good information in it. But there is also a site called Simply Shredded and they have an 'Ultimate Female Training Guide' which has very similar information for free and a 12 week guide. (I know I can't add links yet because of my number of posts, but I am hoping mentioning like this is ok??). I am sure there are many more like it out there too.

Like I said, I'm a complete novice and I thought getting a book would help with lots of pictures etc, but the one I have doesn't and a lot of sites seem to assume you know what the moves are etc. Do you have someone at your gym you could ask?

How was your day Lynne? X

Good afternoon Lynne, how are you doing? Hoping you're well xx

Just a quick post. Having car problems - last thing I need right now! Will try and catch up later. Back to my pre holiday weight so that's good.

Christmas Challenge
(50 lb loss)
Day 1 / 109 - Weight - 13st 13lb - 1121 calories
Day 2 / 109 - Weight - 13st 10lb - 3lb loss - 1420 calories
Day 3 / 109 - Weight - 13st 10lb - STS - 5025 steps - 991 calories in / 1838 out (153 over)
Day 4 / 109 - Weight - 13st 6lb - 4lb loss - Total loss 7lb - 43lb to lose
Day 5 / 109 - Weight - 13st 8lb - 2lb gain - Total loss 5lb - 45lb to lose
Day 6 /109 - Weight - 13st 7lb - 1lb loss - Total loss 6lb - 44lb to lose
Day 11 / 109 - Weight 13st 5lb - 2lb loss - Total loss 8lb - 42lb to lose (Sunday 21st September)

Altinkum Challenge
(Provisional Challenge - 80lb loss)
Day 110 / 337

Well done Lynne hope the car is better soon. x

More money, hope the cars not to expensive to fix!!

Great to see you are still moving down weight wise Lynne, well done x

Oh no...for the car.

and well done for getting back to pre holiday weight x

Hey Lynne
Well done on the loss. I would recommend the 'New Rules of Lifting for Women' to get you started. It is very popular over on myfitnesspal; it has pictures, which demonstrate how to do the moves. It is great for beginners. Alternatively, you could ask someone at your gym. I would be weary of some personal trainers; they seem to think that women should stick to pink dumbbells and shouldn't lift too heavy. They are wrong. As a woman, you can't bulk up without serious lifting; even then, it would take years. Try and lift as heavy as you can, and you will get results, but pace yourself. xx

Hi Lynne, well done for getting back to your pre holiday weight already.
Hope you're still going strong and the car's sorted xx

Hi Lynne, hope you are ok xx

Lynne you ok

Back