Lynn's Diary - My Big Fat Weight Loss Journey

Lynn_

On A Mission!
I've been keeping a blog elsewhere and there is too much of it to just copy and paste here, so i'll just do a quick run down of the past 8 weeks to get me started.

I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic about 6 years ago. Im now 55 and on 21 May this year weighed 17st.5lb. Ive struggled with weight and blood sugars, but I havn't exactly gone out of my way to deal with either. My doctor has been incredibly patient, but I think was starting to give up on me, she was going to refer me back to the hospital. When i saw her in May, I think in desperation, she put me on new injectable drug called Byetta (new in the UK, has been in US for about 5 years I believe).

First week I lost 7lbs to my amazement and the 2nd week saw a further 6lbs off followed by 5lbs the 3rd week. Even when i was much younger I had never lost weight at that rate before. Byetta makes me feel sick a lot of the time but the weight loss has kept me going. Was also on a drug called Gliclazide which is known for putting weight on, so I was very happy to see how much had come off. To date I have lost 34.5lbs in just 8 weeks, going from 17st 5lbs to 14st 12.5lb today. Size 24/26 down to 18. Every item of clothing i now wear has been bought in the past 3 weeks, including shoes! My feet have got smaller too haha.

This past week has been a struggle though, last Saturday I weighed 15st exactly and up till yesterday it stayed at 15st all week, then yesterday morning it dropped half a pound to 14st 13.5lb I eat very little, the Byetta makes it difficult to eat. I reckon my daily calorie intake is somewhere between 500 to 600 cals a day, very low. However my doctor is monitoring me every few weeks so I feel confident that if I start to run into nutritional issues she will be able to advise me.

When I saw her this week, she changed the Gliclazide to Glucophage. Glucophage is one of the very few diabetic meds that actually help you lose weight. I have taken it before in the past but could not hack the constant and awful diarrhea. However, my eating is now firmly under control so I was happy to give it another try. Started taking it Friday and so far no diarrhea.

Yesterday (Saturday) was our 34th wedding anniversay, so we had booked some weeks ago to go to Marco Pierre Whites pub called Yew Tree. We have eaten there before and the food is just wonderful. Since being on Byetta, I miss one dose of it on Saturdays so the my husband and I can go out to lunch and I can eat and enjoy it. Invariably I will have a salad, but it's so wonderful to be able to eat a meal and not feel sick as a dog after. Also, given my very low daily intake, I need one good meal a week.

But my daughter was also having a party yesterday evening as it is also her birthday this week, so I had a bit of a dilemma, lunch at the Yew Tree and evening BBQ at our daughters. So yesterday I missed both doses of Byetta.

I chose lunch very carefully, and I think I did really well, I reckoned about 600 cals for lunch in total as I had a small fish starter and then mussels in white wine for main course. I refused all the bread and butter on offer and had a small salad along with the mussels, and I didn't eat any of the white wine 'soup' that the mussels came with.

In the evening at my daughters I had none of the BBQ food and just had salad. She made a wonderful cucumber salad with dill and wine vinegar, it was so delicious, that I mostly filled up on that. I did take my byetta with me, because if i had started to feel hungry, I would have just had a jab of that. But its makes me feel so groggy that i wanted to avoid using it unless it was neccesary. But I didnt need it after all, I wasnt really hungry and I enjoyed the salad stuff.

I prayed that this morning the scales would not have gone up, as I had been desperate to break through that 15st barrier, and I had finally made it.

When i got on the scales this morning I was 14st 12.5lb, 1lb off since yesterday!
To think I had eaten so little all week and lost only half a pound, then yesterday ate fruit for breakfast, a good lunch and food in the evening and I lose a pound overnight. Maybe the Glucophage is kicking in.

Today I went into town to Monsoon. They have a sale on and yesterday I had seen THE most beautiful long soft knit cardigan/jacket. It was reduced from £65 to £32.50. I didnt buy it yesterday because if I continue to lose weight it won't fit me come September when a chunky cardigan would be more useful, so I didnt even try it on. But my hubby encouraged me to go back and have another look at it. I tried on the large and it fitted perfectly. This is the person who has only ever been able to buy clothes from Evans, now going into the gorgeous Monsoon and finding clothes that fit!

Anyway, I then tried on the medium, now I was surprised to find that because of the style of it, I could actually get into the medium although it would look better if I lost some more weight. So I bought the medium, and have put it away. Its so beautiful, a gorgeous mink colour with a sparkly thread running through it.

Of course I have done this in the past, bought clothes too small to 'slim' into, and of course I never wear them. However, when I was sorting through the wardrobe a couple weeks ago, I found some of my old 'slim into ' purchases, with the price labels still attached, and i'm actually able to wear them now! I even found a dark blue size 18 suit with the price ticket on that I had forgotten I have even bought, and am now wearing that for work.

Given that i'm on the byetta though, things are now different than they have been in the past. As long as I keep on it, I will keep losing weight. I've already past the 8 week mark, and I dont think i've ever managed to continue losing weight for that long before. And now im on Glucophage as well, then the future looks decidely skinny haha.

Last edited:
Hi Lynn, Well done on your weightloss so far you are doing amazing. It sounds as though the diabeties are all under control as well. Good luck for your next weigh in. x

Hi Emma! Thank you for your reply, lol in all the excitement of posting here I forgot to mention how the diabetes was doing.

Normal blood reading is 5.6 and mine were 15 to 17. But since being on the new meds AND having my food under control, most times my readings are between 5 and 6.5, which is just fantastic as this is the first time in 6 years that I have had normal blood readings.

Tuesday 20th July

Left home yesterday morning thinking that Wolverhampton was Northampton, and then to discover that really I was going to Cannock (130 miles away), 2 day visit as well. So I kinda figured after I left the house that I would be staying away, did almost turn around and go home to get stuff but had been late leaving. Had thrown my Byetta in my bag in the morning funnily enough, but had no other meds with me.

I stayed at a Premier Inn, they are nice really, better than Travelodge anyway. I was a bit concerned about what and how i would eat, so looked at the Beefeater menu in my room and saw they did a Paprika chicken salad with honey and chipotle dressing, so I decided to save the dose of Byetta for the morning and have the salad for dinner. I expected it to fill me up which it did, but bloody hell I was hungry 2 hours later. I was really pissed off about that. The salad itself was absolutely delicious, the dressing tasted of BBQ sauce, and the chicken was yummy as was the salad. I had a coffee after then went back to my room. When I started to get hungry I decided to go to Tesco, get some makeup and a low cal jelly. I had been to Tesco earlier and bought some cheap knickers, a top and some apples, but I decided I needed hair mousse hairspray and makeup. My hair was a mess so it needed washing. I found a hairbrush in the car thank god, as they can cost best part of a fiver. I really need an emergency bag in the car, ill set one up i think.

I ate the low cal jelly, made a coffee then ate an apple before going to bed. I hate feeling hungry. I was getting pissed off with the byetta on sunday evening as i had been feeling so sick, but ive decided better that than eat and feel hungry after.

This morning I took the Byetta then went for breakfast. I actually had a really nice breakfast and didnt feel a bit sick after. Had a little bit of fruit salad which wasn't great, just slices of apple with some manky looking orange, I picked out a few red apple slices a piece of orange and 3 tasteless grapes. Then I ordered a poached egg and some grilled tomato and had a slice of wholemeal toast spread with just marmite. The egg and marmite toast was really nice, the tomatoes were ok but a bit mushy, had a cup of tea and that was breakfast. Filled me up and I felt fine after, but i think I ate about 10 minutes or so after taking the byetta, should really wait up to an hour before eating. Might have been a different story if i had waited longer.

Really need to check my bloods to see whats going on there too. 7.9, well thats what happens when I miss some meds and eat more, but actually it could have been much worse, but I really do not want to see my bloods going over 7, and besides im still on half dose glucophage and didnt take it till i got home an hour ago.

When i see my Dr again on 20th Aug i would really love to be under 14.5, or even possibly under 14st, 4 weeks away so there is a good chance i could make it. Need to lose 6 or 7lb to be under 14.5, so that should be a given in 4 weeks, but would love to break the 14st barrier by then.

Last edited:
oh god, i feel so sick. how much longer can i go on doing this. yesterday i didnt have the byetta in the evening, i ate a lovely salad, and 2 hours later i was hungry again. then i thought, better to feel sick than hungry, now i think....oh god.

my dinner was 4 slices of cucmber, 3 cherry tomatoes, a small handful of rocket and 4 small slices of chicken from a packet. it looked small on the plate, it feels like a mountain in my stomach.

thankfully the morning jab doesnt make me feel this ill, otherwise i wouldnt be able to work.

I was told at the beginning to expect nausea for a few weeks, its been nearly 9 weeks now.

I keep telling myself that the result is worth it, the weight loss, the normal blood readings. right now i dont feel like its worth it. I ate just after 6pm and its now just gone 9pm, i can expect to feel like this for another hour at least.

When i was lying down i could smell something cooking, son was home cooking himself a roast dinner. He used to cook roasts for me too, and he is a great cook, but right now the smell of it is making me want to vomit.

I should be grateful, and when i look at the new clothes i have, when i look at myself in the mirror, when i see the shock on the faces of people i havnt seen for a while, its all worth it, but right now i just want to cry.

Hi Lynn,

Have really enjoyed reading your diary, and think your doing brilliantly! That feeling of going to Monsoon must have been amazing, I love the clothes in their too and cant wait to be able to shop there.

It must be difficult with the diabetes meds and it makes your achievments thus far even more impressive.

Hope you get to where you want to be, what a brilliant start you have made!

Hi Healthy! thank you for you reply, i just read through your whole diary, and was just awestruck by the changes you have made to your life and how you are now taking this great leap forward into a thinner future, you are truley inspriational!

I felt bad last night, but im really very grateful to be on the meds im on, and to see the progress im making.

Today ive been thinking about what i eat and maybe I need to make some changes that could help me avoid the severe nausea im getting. Was interesting to me that the cooked breakfast i had on Tuesday didnt make me feel sick, even though i had a slice (well three quarters of a slice) of toast with it. I try to avoid any carb normally as its a given that it will make me feel bad. Ive read somewhere that protein first thing will help to avoid the sickness with byetta, so maybe having an egg on toast for breakfast would be worth a try. Im heartily sick of fruit salad for breakfast thats for sure.

Had a look round the local Tesco this morning to see if i could find some inspiration to change my food a bit, so had a look at the ready meals. Im not greatly keen on ready meals , but if i could find something that will make me feel less sick ill have a go at it.

One thing that struck me when i looked through all the selections in the fresh and frozen counters was that every single 'light' 'weight watchers' or apparently 'low cal' meal contained either pasta rice or potato. There was nothing that was just meat or fish with just vegetables. So then i thought, maybe i could formulate my own ready meal. So i had a look in the frozen veg counter and found Birds Eye Field Fresh vegetables in portion size sachets, 4 to a bag that just need throwing in the microwave to cook. Special offer on those too, £1.75 a bag, buy 2 for £2. So that half of 8 ready meals sorted :), then i had a look at the frozen fish counter and found Youngs white fish in butter sauce also on offer at half price, 4 portions in a box so i bought 2 boxes and only 101 cals a portion so there cant be much butter in there lol. So thats 8 ready meals for a total of £5.98 and not a trace of potato pasta or rice anywhere.

I also bought 6 eggs and a small loaf of Hovis. I was surprised to see that the small slices of wholemeal Hovis are only 57 cals a slice.

So now im set for a new eating plan, fingers crossed that it helps.

While i was in town I went into Wallis. Ive never bought Wallis clothes in my entire life, but i have looked at them before, and after being encouraged by the Monsoon experience I thought maybe I could try a few things on to see if they would fit. But i kind of lost my nerve when i got in there. I didnt want to look stupid taking clothes to the changing room that would obviously not fit me, but i was still curious to know if i could get into any of their clothes.

There was a beautiful turquiose cardigan with the pointy ends, in sizes small medium and large. I also spotted that in some other items, they came in XL. So i browsed a bit and picked up a grey cardigan that was XL, then sauntered over to a mirror in the corner of the shop to try it on without anyone seeing me. It was too big!!!! I was gobsmacked. So then i went back and tried the Large turquoise one, and that fitted perfectly. I didnt buy it, it was £35 and to be honest rigth now Im just buying cheap sale items that fit, because in a few weeks they will be too big. But wow, to think I could go in there and buy clothes, thats pretty amazing.

Well, i had the fish and vegetables for dinner. I tipped it all into a small cereal bowl and it about half filled it. It was very tasty and i enjoyed, I dont have cooked food very often, so it was nice to have something hot.

I was able to eat it all, but felt full when i had finished. About 45 minutes later, i was starting to feel overfull and decide to go lay down. To be honest i do feel a bit sick but not as severe as last night, I got up a while ago and had a bath and washed my hair and that made me feel a bit better too. Its 9.30 now, i feel overfull, ive been trying to sip some water as that does help a bit.

Have an early start tomorrow, working in Exeter which is about 150 miles, but i will be home tomorrow evening as i have to go to Bedford on Friday. Ill need to get up about 6am to give me time to have a poached egg for breakfast, hopefully it will go down ok and wont make me feel sick, the one i had Tuesday morning didnt so im pretty hopeful about that. It will be so nice not to have fruit salad for breakfast. God knows how i would cope with travelling so much if this stuff made me sick in the mornings too. I would have to give in and give it up so im grateful for that small mercy.

Oh something funny happened at work on Monday, my job takes me to lots of different types of companies, sometimes food manufacturing plants, where i have to don an overall to go look round the factory. I dread it, as they take one look at me then go scurrying off to find one big enough to go round me, but on Monday the guy just grabbed the first one on the rack, and it actually fit! Things like that make this all worthwhile.

I upped my glucophage today, i was supposed to wait another week before doubling the dose, but my blood readings are creeping up andim desperate to keep on top of them. The worst thing that will happen by doubling it is that the dreaded diarrhea will start up, thats why my doctor suggested 2 weeks on the lower dose first, to get my gut used to it. Tomorrow will tell no doubt, pity i have such a long journey lol, but there are plenty of service stations on the way.

Hi Lynn,

So I'm not the only one making big changes to my life! I really feel for you having to continually struggle with nausea, and you dont complain just look for solutions to the problem. What a fighter you are, but that trip to Wallis is your reward, what a good feeling to just go to a regular shop and pick up something nice. Just think when you get to your target and dont have the issue of 'interim clothes' youll have a whole new wardrobe!!!

The other thing the resonates with me is where you say that they got you an overcoat in a factory and the first one fit. That says to me that you have reached the level where others see you as not overweight and an average size, otherwise they woldnt have just reached for a standard size overcoat! I will love it when I get to that point...

Have you ever tried peppermint tea? It is fantastic stuff for calming an upset tummy.

You are so close to your target now, what the first thing you will do to celebrate?

Oh you are so lovely Healthy! Thank you for your encouragement.

Hey that idea about peppermint tea, im definately gonna try that tommorw, ill get some on my way home. Is there any particular brand that you have tried?

Gosh, ive no idea about how to celebrate, i hadnt even thought that far ahead lol, it still feels like this is some kind of dream and ill wake up and find that i havnt lost weight at all. Ohh, i must think about that! I must plan something wonderful, maybe go to spain for a couple of days and see my sister, i would love that.

I generally have Twinings peppermint tea, however, I've had others and they all seem to do the same thing. Plus in itself its good for your weightloss. Try having a couple of cups as soon as nausea starts, and if it works for you, try having it after eating to prevent.. Theres a link here with a bit of info, I love the stuff.

Peppermint tea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wow, that's brilliant lynn, i am new to this forum and am already being inspired, just what i was looking for.[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][URL="http://www.picmall24.com/img/B1/BN.gif%5b/IMG"][COLOR=blue][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri]http://www.picmall24.com/img/B1/BN.gif[/IMG[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=blue][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri]][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]
[COLOR=blue][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Calibri][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]

I just got back from Exeter, got there at 9.30 and left just before 1pm, 300 mile round trip but at least im home fairly early.

I stopped off at Morrisons at Wincaton on the way home and bought myself some peppermint tea and some green tea with mint, Ive just made myself a cup of the green tea and its lovely.

I had my poached egg and toast this morning, i felt a bit yucky for a couple hours but by the time i got to Exeter i felt fine again.

I feel really good today, im so surprised that 2 months of eating minimal amounts of food hasnt left me feeling weak and exhausted. I take a multivit and a cod liver oil every morning so maybe those really do help. Because i have to take various pills during the day i have one of those pill organisers which is really helpful as i dont forget to take anything now. Ive tried multivits in the past but never felt i was getting much benefit, but then i dont suppose they will help much if they stay in the container haha.

I thought today was going to be nice, it was sunny when i woke up at 6 this morning, but the rain set in just as i was leaving the house, and coming up to Exeter the roads were like rivers. Friends of ours are in Tenerife right now, they did ask us to go with them, but at the time we were planning on going in September.

Thats all changed now, hubby is losing his job at the end of the year due to redundancies, although thats not as bad as it sounds, but if he doesn't take any holiday this year he can collect the pay for it. He is 61 this year, so will be able to get his pension when he leaves, he has no intention of looking for another job for sure. So now the plan is to go to Tenerife next July, for our 35th wedding anniversary, and take all the family and their children with us.

I have to take my holiday though, so im booked to be off for 2 weeks in September. Not sure what I will do yet, spend a day or 2 at the Nirvana spa in Wokingham, and maybe go stay with my father in law on the Isle of Wight for a few days too.

I had a week off early July, and thought about going away to a spa for a couple of days, thats how i found the Nirvana Spa. I booked myself in as a day guest and had a couple of treatments while i was there, but the place is so heavenly that i had become a member by the time i left. Membership only gives me one day a month there (well 12 visits a year, so i could take 2 visits in 1 month if i wanted to) but its like having a lovely treat to look forward to. I thought hubby might object to my spending money on the membership, but he said that i deserved it and i should have a special treat once a month.

Ive had a bit of a eureka moment this evening. I realised that I start to feel sick about 30 minutes to an hour after ive eaten. So it is the byetta thats making me feel sick or is it the food reacting with the byetta thats making me feel sick.

So this evening i took the byetta jab at 5pm then put the fish on to cook ready for 5.30pm. I then mixed the fish and vegetables together and divided it in half, and ate just half of it (75 cals worth). An hour later i still didnt feel sick although i felt full. The idea was that i would then eat the other half but i fell asleep and have only just woken up ay just gone 8.30, so ive just eaten the other half now, even though i dont feel at all hungry, BUT i dont feel sick either.

This might just be a one off, so ill have to see how i go doing this, splitting the food in half, and just having a very small amount to eat. Maybe this is what i need to do.

Oh im tired, im going back to bed

Brilliant Lynn, I hope youve conquered it the nausea issue. That would be fantastic for you, so good luck tomorrow.

Your job sounds like you are out and about travelling a lot, it must be difficult dealing with the eating out.

Thanks for your lovely message in my diary, it really does help having such support and kindness x

Im so glad you have had a day where your not feeling sick- hopefully it will be the first of many nausea free days. x

I thought i had cracked it, but tonight was the worst ever. My stomach felt like it had been kicked even though i had only eaten half my meal, i couldnt even bear the thought of my hubby touching me when he came up to see how i was. Im gonna give myself a few days off the evening dose of byetta, i just cant go on like this.

The double dose of glucophage is bringing my bloods down again, was 6.2 when i checked earlier. I had been getting 5.6 or less on the gliclazide, but was also getting regular hypos on it too, where the bloods drop so low that you start shaking like mad and get palpitations. If it drops too low you can go into a coma, so its got to be taken seriously.

When i switched back to the glucophage, my bloods started going up a bit every day until it hit 8.2, thats when i decided to double the dose, and now its coming down again. Apparently, its just not possible to get a hypo on glucophage, and its a drug thats also used to treat non diabetic conditions such as PCOS, and will help with weight loss as it suppreses appetite. Glucophage is the slow release version of Metformin, but one of the bad side effects of it is severe diarrhea, but touch wood, that hasnt kicked in yet, so im hopeful it wont.

Byetta has been a miracle drug for me, i had given up hope of ever losing weight, as so many diabetic drugs will put weight on you, even on a strictly controlled diet, so to have lost so much is such a short time is nothing short of a miracle. But i cant spend my evenings doubled up in agony with nausea, not even being able to have my hubby give me a cuddle.

The morning dose of byetta doesnt affect me to the same degree that the evening one does weirdly, so for the next few days ill just have the morning one and keep an eye on my blood readings in case they start to go up. I will just have to be ultra strict with what i eat if i want to keep losing weight, although god knows i couldnt eat any less than i am currently. My total calorie intake today has been no more than 350 calories.

I know this isnt a failure, but it feels like it.

Lynn,

First and foremost it's absolutely not a failure, what you have achieved is nothing short of incredible and the courage and determination you are showing in commiting to your weight loss on a daily basis is so brave and an inspiration to me.

I really feel for you Lynn, it seems such a terrible struggle and how on earth you are managing on so few calories is a miracle, you must be digging so deep to get through the days. But Lynn, whilst the weightloss is important, you must have some respite from the nausea and if that means not taking your meds in the evening then it's worth a try. Your weightloss so far is brilliant, and even if it slows down a bit through not taking a dose morning and night then I'm sure it will be worth it. Hope I haven't misunderstood anything regarding the meds ignore my ignorance!

Lynn you're one special lady and such a fighter to have come so far, i know you will come through this. It really puts my bad week into perspective and to think you were still offering me comfort and support. You really are so lovely and thoughtful and deserve a break from this. Your family must be so proud of you, after the distance you've come I would definitely take the weekend off the evening meds and let your body and mind have some rest and stock back up on some cuddles from your husband .

Try not to get too disheartened, as my grandad always says " where there's a will there's a way " and you just haven't found the way yet, but with your will power and determination you will! X

Back