maintaining

every one who is currently maintaining how many calories are you finding you need for each day to maintain your weight?

obviosly everyone is different i know but thought it woul be interesting to see what you all have and to compare to the guideline of 2000 per day which the government recommend

I don't count calories, but I guess it works out on average about 18-1900 for me.

Obviously we aren't all the same. It goes down as you get older, how active you are (I'm quite active BTW).

Men can have more.

just bumping this up as i'd be interested in hearing about this too!

Do you know if there is something like a list how many calories everybody should eat? I am quite new here and I am still trying to find the best way to lose some weight. But unfortunately I don't really know how many calories I am allowed to have a day! And is counting calories really a good way to lose weight? Maybe someone has some good advise for me!

I found something about this the other day - there is an online calculator to work out your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR). This works out how many calories your body would burn if you stayed in bed all day.

Then you use the Harris Benedict equation to work out your daily calorie allowance, based on how active you are.

I think I've made it sound more complicated than it actually is, but this site does most of it for you, you'll just need a calulator for the last bit.

BMR Calculator

I hope that helps.

Do you know if there is something like a list how many calories everybody should eat? I am quite new here and I am still trying to find the best way to lose some weight. But unfortunately I don't really know how many calories I am allowed to have a day! And is counting calories really a good way to lose weight? Maybe someone has some good advise for me!

Try Weight Loss Resources - its a great site with a free 3 day trial. I lost nearly a stone in a month by calorie counting, before going onto a VLCD to speed things up! You input all your details including your activity level and it will give you your maintenance calories, plus the cals you will need to stick to depending on how much weightloss you want to aim for per week.

Once I get to goal I'll be using that site for good in order to make 100% sure I dont put any weight back on!

i just did that bmr calculator and apparently i will need 2132 calories a day when im maintaining. so not far off the government norm for me.

Thanks for the link to that website Elle - its really good. I'm definitely going to sign up xx

Ooohh - very handy indeed!! I'll be around the 2000 mark too .... can't wait to start maintaining and exercising!

Yeah I also wanted to thank you for the links. I am definitely going to try it out. Doctors usually say that women should eat about 1400 calories and males about 2000 a day (At least that is what they told me :)). But now I will be able to calculate exactly how many calories I am supposed to eat. Thanks a lot!

I'm unlucky and to maintain I only need about 1500cals a day:( Even when I am doing excersise it doesn't go up that much. The only time I used to be able to eat what I liked was when I used to ice skate 30hours a week - I could eat for England then!

The thing with the 2000 government figur is that it is an average, and by the very nature of an average, roughly half need less and roughly half need more.

I highly recommend weightlossresources. Though I don't use it anymore, it was my saviour at the beginning of maintenance :)

Fab site :)

Back