Making Soup but......

peggypig

Silver Member
I knoiw homemade soup is good for us but flippin heck must have cost abit Ive been cooking it in 2 pans for the last hour and a half and the veg is still a bit hard . Husband would not eat my mums food as he says she boils everything good job he cant see his tea cooking LOL :D

Put a tight fitting lid on, medium heat, should only take 20mins :) and boiling soup dosnt count if he happens to stroll in :p tee hee x

Definatly use a lid, also i use the kettle to boil the water (saves me on gas) =]

If you are going to blend it, use your food processor to cho the veg first, you can also use your microwave to blast the veg first!

Most important to cover the soup whilst cooking it. I put half the amount of liquid in than is recommended as the vegetables "bleed" lots of natural juices and the flavour is more intense. Keep an eye on it though and add more liquid if you need it. Don't be afraid of adding things to give more flavour i.e. stock cubes, Chinese 5 spice, garam masala, mint, .
I use it as a super speed soup but if I am doing a green day I will take some soup out and put it in another pan and add a tine of chickpeas, or lentils or broad beans or pasta or rice.........very filling, nourishing and "cheap".

This morning I have made a huge pan of mixed veg SS soup with aubergines, red and green peppers, onion, butternut squash, cauliflower ( all home grown apart from the cauliflower) I have put a red chilli in and several small green ones also home grown, and will probably put a spoonful of mint into it as well. Oh and I used 2 vegetable stock cubes. I am just about to whizz it up with my stick blender to make a lovely thick, smooth soup. I love soup so much I even have it for breakfast some days.

Another favourite soup of mine is roasted red pepper soup and that is next on my busy agenda.

I hope you enjoyed your soup...........it is such a good friend to us on SW.

Peggypig, I love your avatar !!!! Love your brilliant slim weight as well...........me jealous no !!!!

My soup was souper delish. I added mint and black pepper. There is loads left for tomorrow.

Will carry on with soup and put a lid on it ,I got a bit lazy after hitting target like what happens when you think youve finished. Im carrying on the SW way I eat much better and feel better. Eating all the rubbish makes me feel rubbish lol. Glad off topic is coming back to life YIPPPEEE

Could not resist bringing this topic up to the top again.

This week I have made to brilliant SS soups. Today's was mega good. It was just what was left in the fridge, butternut squash, aubergines, onion, tomatoes, cabbage and yes cucumber ( like I said I hate waste) used 2 veg stock cubes and some concentrated tomato, a teaspoonful of 5 spice paste, a splash of mint and it was the perfect lunch. Tonight I added some halved , cooked new potatoes, carrots and onion ( all precooked) and frozen peas to a bowl of the soup. It was soooooo good.
Tomorrow I will add roasted red peppers and quorn Swedish meat balls and have that at lunchtime and for dinner.

I do have to remember to have my hea's and b's though.

fillymum said:
Could not resist bringing this topic up to the top again.

This week I have made to brilliant SS soups. Today's was mega good. It was just what was left in the fridge, butternut squash, aubergines, onion, tomatoes, cabbage and yes cucumber ( like I said I hate waste) used 2 veg stock cubes and some concentrated tomato, a teaspoonful of 5 spice paste, a splash of mint and it was the perfect lunch. Tonight I added some halved , cooked new potatoes, carrots and onion ( all precooked) and frozen peas to a bowl of the soup. It was soooooo good.
Tomorrow I will add roasted red peppers and quorn Swedish meat balls and have that at lunchtime and for dinner.

I do have to remember to have my hea's and b's though.

That's great Sue. Different meals from one soup! Brilliant!
I had soup made with carrots, tomatoes, onion, lentils and curry powder. Simple and quick!

Back