margyparkers vegan diary

I am not so good at not eating stuff when I am at home. Poop!:eek: Also if I don't eat much during the day I think I am 'owed' my evening meal and a sweet afterwards even if I am full after the main meal. The factor missing from my diet so far is that I am eating when I am not feeling hungry - aim for this week = wait till I am hungry to eat and don't overeat just cos I can - i.e. it is free or low syn. I figure the more my stomach shrinks the better. I had a normal meal on bonfire night and a chocolate cornflake cake and a choc chip cookie afterwards. The only reason I had both is that they were home made by 2 different people who were counting how many of each people were having and point scoring against each other.

Anyhoo lesson learned there as well - felt really uncomfortable for ages afterwards and just wanted the overfull feeling to go away. Not a good feeling.

Breakfast - Apple

Mid - weetabix and soya milk with 2 mandarins.

Lunch - salad of cos lettuce, baby plum tomatoes, cucumber and cooked rice fried in frylite and tamari - about 2 cups of the latter.

Mid - apple and orange

Supper - big bowl of strawbs and 2 yogurts

Syns - yogs 4 syns

Gym - 50 cals on cross trainer to warm up then power plate for tops of legs and lots of other muscle building stuff 2108 showing on my step counter - wonder what it measured on the power plate heh.

Last edited:
Would it be possible to buy cheese that comes from a more animal welfare aware background? Maybe that could be a compromise for you Aline, between being totally vegan and being able to eat the cheese you love.

Actually I just googled that, and came up with Denhay, who pruduce cheese from their own herd which seems to be high on animal welfare. Waitrose stock their cheese
Supermarkets selling Denhay farmhouse cheddar cheese and dry cured bacon

this post is prob best on ailines diary eh?

Sorry to clutter your diary up Margy, but just thought I'd offer some words of advice for Aline...

I used to love cheese before I went vegan, I ate loads of it. I went from omni to vegan overnight and never looked back. There were a few times I craved cheese, but I found going cold turkey was best at stopping the cravings. After 3 months I didn't miss the stuff. If you keep allowing yourself small amounts of cheese you'll just be giving into the cravings and having to start again. If you look online there is a lot of information on cheese being addictive, there's some properties in it which can create cravings IIRC, so it's not crazy that you end up craving it!

When I craved cheese I often had avocado, it's got that same fattyness to it and I loved putting it on a pizza, or try eating something salty, sometimes it's the saltyness that you really miss. Otherwise you could try some vegan cheese sauce recipes, I have a few that I've been told by omnis, taste like the real thing. PM me if you want any.

Not wanting to cause a debate on here but I don't believe that any dairy products can be or ever will be ethical, it's just not possible. I personally don't like the idea of convincing people to substitute them for their usual dairy products because I think it's missing the point of veganism and what I stand for. Just my thoughs :)

8th november 2010

Still trying to cut down as I am not happy with the pace of the losses - weigh day tomorrow so we shall see.

Breakfast - 42g allbran HEB and soya milk HEA

Mid - russet apple

Lunch - Banana and tangerine

Mid - Apple

Supper - Chips made with oil in actifry. Huge amount of peas and vegan bacon. Fresh pineapple and 2 grapes.

Syns - 2.5 for vegan bacon, 2.5 for oil in chips = 5 syns in total

Last edited:

Well it turns out it was worth starving myself this week - I have been rumbling of the tummy for a fair bit of the week but it has had the desired effect and I am fortunately 2.25 pounds lighter.

Tis quite weird really - when I was following the Slimming World diet to the letter I was proud when I lost the weight and now I feel kinda flat about it.

The reason I did it was that I am impatient and was not losing quickly enough for my requirements and not quickly enough to reach my goal of target by Christmas. This week has certainly given me food for thought and decisions to make.

Do I carry on the fast way and lose it quicker - do I do alternate weeks and see how that works? Do I just stick with the SW diet and be happy to lose it slowly - hmm I think the last one is a definite no as I like to see the quicker results - definitely food for thought. :D

Appointment with trainer later in the day to see how I am doing at the gym so that will effect things as well.... had an appointment last night but I got lazyitis after eating a load of chips - serves me right.:eek:

Breakfast - punnet of strawberries and 2 yogurts

Mid - Pink Lady apple

Lunch - banana and mandarin and a slice of bread from a seeded wholemeal 800g loaf HEB with chocolate spread added - ooo mmmm!

Mid - quarter of an apple - I washed it and it was still sticky to I binned the other bit - and a grape.

Supper - vegan bacon - carrots, potatoes, sprouts, green beans and broccoli and half a packet of starburst.

Syns - 4 for 2 yogurts and more than a tablespoon of choc spread so I will say 2 and 8 syns! vegan bacon 2.5 syns and half a packet of starburst 3.5 syns. Total = 18 syns. Blowout!

Exercise - 200 cals burned at the gym and I CAN START RUNNING AGAIN! WOOHOO!!! Walked for 100 cals and knees are fine. Couldn't do running as I didn't have the necessary equipment with me i.e. boobage accoutrement.

Last edited:
Starving yourself is not healthy or sensible.
Your just lining yourself up for trouble for when you start eating properly again.
Slow and steady wins the race.
Good luck.

Because when you start eating a normal amount (so your not hungry) again you will gain the weight back as your body will think its gone into starvation mode.
When it does that it uses muscle rather than fat, so when you start eating you wont gain muscle back just fat and the loss of muscle will mean your metabolism will be slower making it harder to lose it.
Thats why yo yo dieting is so bad for you and makes it harder and harder to lose the same weight the next time.
if you gradually reduce your food so that you body gets used to it and naturally decreases, you will lose the fat not the muscle. I know its frustrating to lose slowly but its so much better for your health to do it that way and any loss is an achievement!

what are you doing pretty? nothing in your diary for 3 days....

Im a bit preoccupied with stress to focus on my diet and just waiting around for the new ww plan which I will get on thursday!
Looking forward to starting it and getting back on track.

Im a bit preoccupied with stress to focus on my diet and just waiting around for the new ww plan which I will get on thursday!
Looking forward to starting it and getting back on track.

looks tempting the new WW - I notice a lot of chattering about it - don't go away will you - I am keen to see how you get on.:winter_brr: Tis chilly here in Yorkie.:)

its freezing here to!
Im looking forward to the new plan, I really need to do it now and this is the last plan im willing to try so i am going to give it my everything.

I think allowing yourself 1 HEXA instead of 2 is a good move as too much cheese or milk might hinder your loses. When I first joined SW in 2001 you were only allowed 1 HEXA and 2 HEXB (in the days of only green and red days!). It was only a couple years later just before I stopped going to classes that they introduced the second HEXA.....something about calcium being proven to aid weight loss.

I thought great....more cheese!! I'm a bit of an addict too. As I was almost at target by that point like you are, it totally halted my loses and even made me put weight on. I soon dropped the extra HEXA and things got back on track. This time round I'm only allowing myself the one HEXA per day as I know having 2 is too many for me personally. Occasionally I'll have the second if I need it for an omlette or something but not often. Good luck!!

Breakfast - all-bran and soya milk- HEB + HEA

Mid - banana and mandarin

Lunch - 2 grapefruit and 2 yogurts

Mid - Cuppa tea and an apple

Supper - massive bowl of lentil soup and 2 slices of weight watcher bread. HEB

Syns - 4 for the yogurts

No exercise today and only 38 cals registering on my pedometer.

I realised while lounging in the bath this evening that my attitude to food is changing. I have been amazed at how little I have to eat to lose weight and that therefore I was massively overeating before. I also realised recently that I constantly eat if I am trying to put something off - for instance if I am ready to start working on something I don't really want to do. Recognition is the start I guess and then recognising and avoiding the results of long term conditioning the next step. :)

Hello Margy!

Wise words, attitude and recognition are musts;)

I made yesterday the lentil soup; seeing it mentioned so many times around the boards made me salivate about it, hehe.
It's really a great soup, delicious and filling, loved it:)

Hello Margy!

Wise words, attitude and recognition are musts;)

I made yesterday the lentil soup; seeing it mentioned so many times around the boards made me salivate about it, hehe.
It's really a great soup, delicious and filling, loved it:)
Oh well done - I love it especially with carrots but it is just as good without. Tis also good if you put veggie hot dogs chopped in it - lovely and smokey! Or if you want it even more filling put a big dollop of mash in the middle and eat it with a bit of mash on the spoon and then a big slop of soup over the top. Yummy! :D

I was honored to take part in the two minute silence today - my mind just explodes when I think of those poor boys that were taken to the front line and put in a trench opposite to the "enemy" and then knowing that they would be cannon fodder still had to go "over the top" to be mown down or else be disciplined for insubordination or shot anyway. :mad:

Breakfast - all-bran and soya milk - HEA and HEB

Mid - cup of coffee

Lunch - Nuts - HEB, fresh pineapple and a huge granny smith apple.:D

Mid - Yogurt alpro cherry

Supper - Lentil soup and chips done in actifry

Syns -2.5 for oil in chips, 2 in yogurt - total of 4.5

I have also realised that I eat according to the clock i.e. it is morning therefore it is time for breakfast. I decided not to do that today and ended up not actually being hungry till past 10 o'clock and then instead of thinking it is time for a snack I waited again till I was hungry. Works like magic, I like it! I think if I carry on like this I will be fine when I reach goal weight.

Last edited:
Back