Mark's Munchies

Thanks for your words of encouragement in my diary, Mark. Enjoy your hols in Provence and I look forward to hearing about it when you get back. :)

Mark how lucky are you to be in Provence - I have spent the past 3 years visiting in the summer to my daughter's now EX boyfriend's family in Aix en Provence. I love France :)

I managed to stick to the diet most of the time while I was away - steered clear of carbs and wasn’t even tempted to have any alcohol. I did plenty of walking, and came home the same weight as when I left.

We had a relaxing time in Provence – pas toujours, juste une semaine. I promise no more schoolboy French because I imagine you ex-pats are pretty fluent. I know enough to get by. Though I am quite good at swearing. I find a good way of practicing (conversation, not swearing) is to ask for directions. For some reason though, when I’m in France I’m often asked for directions by French people. My wife thinks I have the look because of my Gallic shrug. I put it down to all those Galouises and Gitanes I used to smoke, watching Truffaut and Godard films, and reading Camus and Sartre as a teenager.

Speaking of teenagers, back in England I then spent a couple of days at the coast with my son from my first marriage (he didn’t want to go to France). I’m afraid it wasn’t nearly as relaxing. To say he’s at a difficult age is a major understatement. I can’t get my head round the fact that my bubbly, happy-go-lucky little boy has somehow turned into a surly, argumentative git. Bless him, the little monkey.

I love him with all my heart, but it really is exhausting always having to initiate every conversation because he’s only capable of monosyllables and sulking, and when he does speak it’s to argue with and contradict everything I say. Even the most innocuous remark is seized on, over-analysed and torn to shreds.

But I remember what it’s like being a boy going through those changes – hormones going haywire, body starting to do strange things, voice fluctuating from soprano to bass. Trying to forge your own identity, desperately trying to make sense of everything. If only he knew he’ll still be trying to make sense of everything when he’s middle-aged. It’s all still a mystery to me.

Anyway, rant over. Life would be boring if everything was straight forward. Accentuating the positive, I’m almost at my target weight - which I've knocked down a few pounds from what it was before, so it's now in line with what the website estimated as my ideal weight. When I started I didn't think I'd even get close, but it's been a doddle really. I'm now looking forward to some fruit and getting absolutely hammered on a single glass of wine. Cul sec!

I'm glad that France was relaxing. Your son will come through this phase. I'm a secondary teacher and I can totally understand where you are coming from - it must be hard as a parent.

You are so close to your goal weight - that must feel fantastic!

I take my hat off to you for teaching in a comprehensive. I have friends and family in the profession, so I've heard all the horror stories. But I also know it can be very rewarding as well.

It's not as if kids having an attitude is a recent phenomenon. I went to a pretty tough comprehensive, and you have to toughen up to survive. It's just hard seeing my son, who was such a sweet natured boy, turning cynical and confrontational. At that age I'm sure I did too, but I wasn't half as cheeky to my dad because I feared him. I'm glad my son doesn't fear me because I've never hit him and never would.

Getting back to the weight, yes I'm really chuffed to be almost at my target. I've been reading the book to gen up on consolidation, and was pleasantly surprised at how much you're allowed. So stick with it, the rewards are just around the corner.

You're really doing brilliantly Mark and Consolidation is just round the corner for you. There are a few on Consolidation at the moment and there's a thread running for the menus, if you feel like taking a peek!

My son is 15 next month so I know what you are going through!
He was always brought up to say "pardon?" if he wanted us to repeat anything but now all we get is "WHAT?" barked at us! :( I have to told him that the correct word is pardon and his response is "Who decided 'pardon' is more polite than 'what'?!" :rolleyes:
Ah the joys of parenthood...:D

Thanks Joanne, I’ve been checking out the consolidation menus. But the main thing I’m looking forward to is having some fruit. Never thought I’d be getting excited at the prospect of eating an apple! I have simple pleasures now I've stopped boozing and become the Buddha of suburbia. Or bugger of suburbia, as my missus says.

Red Heart, hearing that your son is always saying ‘what’ instead of ‘pardon’ has made me feel better! Because my son forgetting his manners and constantly saying ‘what’ really grates on me. Still, I seem to recall it’s un-cool to be polite at that age. It’s probably un-cool to say un-cool as well.

Oh the joys of teenagers. I had two girls and I can tell you that it isn't that much better with girls! Add in the monthly hormones and dear me. I still get 'what' with the middle one, who is 22 I might add. They do get through the other side, eventually and one day, secretly, they find themselves becoming you. And you smile to yourself.

What on earth possessed me to go through it again. Ok the little munchkin just came in and gave me the biggest hug and told me I was the best mummy in the world *I am such a sucker*

Had a great day yesterday, beautiful sunshine and clear blue skies all afternoon. Walked a good few miles in the morning - it was raining when I set off across the fields, then the sun came out and it was glorious the rest of the day.

Spent a couple of hours soaking up the sun in a beer garden with friends. Everyone else drank alcohol (the poor saps), while I looked on disapprovingly with my diet coke. Joking aside, it’s not an issue. Wish I’d put a bet on me not drinking for 3 months before I started this, no-one would’ve believed it. Least of all me.

The weight loss sprint has slowed to a crawl - even going backwards some days. These final pounds aren’t going to give up without a fight. That tells me I’m nearing the weight I should be, as my body tries to cling onto its last fat reserves. The scales have been hovering just above 13st for over a week now. It hasn’t been below 13st in about 10 years. Some days it’ll even go up a pound or more, then nudge back down, but never quite reach that magic number.

But I’m not worried about it. I’m ahead of schedule, and in this war of attrition I will defeat my body! If that’s not a completely nutty thing to say. I've already sucker-punched it by denying it Stella Artois, pizza and Mars bars these last few months. Now I’m going to exercise bike it into submission. It won’t know what’s hit it. I think I’ve taken that boxing analogy as far as it’ll go. It’s out for the count. Now I have

Back