May ~ Antenatal Challenge anyone?

I was worried about 'dieting' during pregnancy so even when my midwife said it was ok and doing SW just mean you were eating lots of fruit and vege and good stuff that you need but limiting the bad stuff that you dont need. She said that if you loose weight then it's fat you're body doesn't need. However, I assume she said that because I'm overweight for my height and I don't know if you are?

I'm still a bit weary now, if I'm honest about actively trying to loose weight whilst pregnant but I decided to do SW because I know if I do extra easy I'm not restricting any food groups, other than limiting bad fats and when I wasn't actively planning what I'm eating I was eating alot of takeaways which has got to be worse than SW!!

I've decided to try and do SW for a month.. see how I get on with my weight and if I'm loosing quite a bit then I'll treat it as being at target and start increasing my healthy extras so my weight stays the same instead of loosing.

It might be worth talking to your midwife about why she said no to SW, it could be that she doesn't think it's a good idea or it could be that she thinks you are putting on a healthy amount of weight and you're eating well so it'd be a bad idea for you to start obsessing about what you're eating.

Oh and if you do decide to do it by yourself I'd suggest being a bit relaxed in you're attitude to it... and my midwife said how important lots of protein is so I wouldn't reccomend doing green or red cos then you're restricting your diet? Although I know other ppl do whilst pg.

Hi everyone!

Hi Billybob and welcome! I have been doing SW at home and haven't even seen my midwife to mention it!:confused: For me I'm just eating but more healthy so I don't really see a problem if you want to do it at home, some women eat the sw way naturally!!!;)

Amyeve my conception date was x-mas eve/boxing day!!! What a Christmas present!:8855:

Hi sarah, That's what I'm trying to do also, just put the lower end of the weight gain on, but hey, anything is better than a 3 stone weight gain again!!!:eek:

Hi, I told my midwife I am following SW and she told me that was great as my BMI was something like 32. To be honest I am not really following it but I am eating only healthy food, the only unhealthy things I have eaten in the last 5 weeks are a pasty and a peice of choc cake at a picnic. I NEED to lose weight if I can as I suffer from permanant damage due to SPD in my last 2 pregnancies , I was advised by my consultant not to have any more children, so if I am going to avoid further damage I need to relieve the pressure on my joints i.e losing weight. I would worry about dieting if I were only a little overweight but I am 4 stone overweight so any weight I lose is fat that I am storing and it won't affect the baby cos he or she will get all they need from my healthy diet.
Good luck with whatever you decide but I think eating healthy is more important than thinking weight loss unless there are medical reasons, take care Jo

Im not actually following a diet as such im just not having crap like i normaly would...no choc,no cakes,no fizzy drinks ect. but the meals im eating are well balanced and im cooking them better ie poached instead of fried ect. ive not actually told the midwife im doing it because i am over weight and my BMI is 31.2 so i do need to loose weight but im trying to only put on around 15-20lbs if i can!
Best of luck with everything x

totally gutted

im totally gutted, joined sw this evening and im much much heavier than i thought i was .. i appear to have put on 1 stone in 22 weeks (is that good?) my scales must be really be out, i realise i probably weighed heavier because weigh in was at 7 oc and i usually weigh myself i the morning .. but just didnt dream i was this much .. so have set a new goal to stay under 15st by due date - my new goal for 31st may will be to lose 2lbs

oh hun now annoying! i am starting to worry my scales are wrong so when im out 2mora im gonna weigh myself on the Boots ones see if they say the same! i was told by midwife before that in the first tri u should put on about 4lbs then in the second its about 1lb a week so id say a stone is pretty good x

hi

kellymarie, thanks seems ive put on the recommended amt then, but honestly thought i was a good 7lbs less due to my blasted scales (which ive now thrown out!) and have had to change my signature as all my own weigh in's count for nothing .. the only consolation is that i probably actually weigh 2-3 lbs less than the slimming world scales as i was weighed in evening and fully clothed, but there's no point splitting hairs - i just have bite the bullet and try and stick to the plan now so as not to put on much more weight

where abouts in southend do you live, i live in saffron walden north west essex but lived in southend o-s many moons ago .. i also have family in leigh on sea, hadleigh etc - havent been there in ages, might take my daughter for the day if airshow is on this year - and i can still actually move by then, lol

You know, it does not really matter what the scales say you weigh, just make sure you use the same scales, same place & time and same clothes each week and focus on the change. Better yet, focus on how you feel about yourself and what you do every day to make sure you are as healthy as you can be - the change you want will follow!

I am SO hungry today! Already at my calorie limit (I have been eating all the wrong things so I did not get value for my calories today), but I think I shall have to get something as my stomach is churning! Shall have to learn my lesson from this and make sure I spend my calories on healthy, filling stuff tomorrow. :eek:

lebody - is the 1 stone a comparison of your weight last night at SW compared to your start weight on your own scales? If so then you may not have put on a stone if your own scales are reading differently now to the SW ones, so don't be too down on yourself.

Just weighed myself, gone up 1lb but my fat % has gone down by over 1% as I've been drinking more water, so I think the last couple of weeks I've been a bit dehydrated.

So I'm back to wanting to lose 4lb.

I wouldn't worry to much about it lebody....It's probably due to the time of day you weighed and the clothes and shoes you had on.
Stick to the same scales I would recommend from now on so you can measure the gains and losses.

I weighted this morning...a weekend early but I am back to 14st 1lb so am happy with that. I think I have changed my goal to just stay under 14 st 6lbs until I get to 30 weeks, and then take it from there. So I'm 22 weeks tomorrow and I have gained 7lbs.

Lebody, I live in the Southchuch agrea pretty near to the town center. I cant wait for the weather to get a little better so i can take my daughter to the beach!

Ive been very naughty over the weeked :-( not looking forward to weighing myself but i have untill friday to be good so better hide the chocolate lol! xx

STS this week, pleased with that as I should be gaining preg weight. But I have 3lbs left if I am to reach May's goal, well we will see how it goes ;)

How much weight are you ladies trying to limit your weight gain to? im trying stay under 20lbs gain, so u think this is reasonable or do u think it should be less as so far ive not put on any weight so i dont think i should 'want' to put on 20lbs in 16ish weeks?
Also do any of u feel that your getting a little obsesed with weight gain? i do, over the weekend when i was eating junk food i felt really bad about it....x x

I don't think I'm obsessed (at the moment!), I'm hoping for around 15lb gain max, if I can, but ideally I'd rather STS and lose weight off my backside, legs and arms whilst the baby growing balances the loss out.

Unfortunately I was aiming to start a nice little (simple) exercise routine but each week I think about it and either fatigue, sickness or headaches get in the way! I'm hoping next month I'll have more energy to get going on it as I'm worried I'll suffer later on if I don't get a bit of fitness and strength into me.

Don't feel too bad about having a weekend of junk food. Just draw a line under it and say to yourself that you'll be good for the week to make up for it. :)

I was initially hoping to stay under 14st 8lbs...to gain a stone in preg weight.....the web site i went on said i should not gain more than 17lbs which seems a better target because i have gained 8lbs, already....22w 4d.
Now i'm just taking it a day at a time....i have been suffering for the last week with bloating, my tummy has been so hard and painful, one minute i'm constipated the next i have very bad diarrhea! Can't make up it's mind!!! I took some tabs for indigestion and that seemed to help but having eaten very little for the last 3 days.....i thought i would loose some lbs, but no I gained 2!!!
So i'm just seeing how it goes....trying to regulate it somewhat but not going mad....yet!

I weighed in one day early as I'm away tomorrow. Lost 3lb since last Friday, although I lost 2 of that over night to last Saturday!

Not sure where the list is or where everyone is up to but

SarahG ~ 4lb to lose (3lb lost)

Just hope I don't put too much on with eating out tonight, a wedding tomorrow and then BBQ on saturday!

Have a good weekend all :)

delayed reaction lebody because I havn't been online but I'm a good 7lbs heavier on an evening... and that's not including clothes which could be another 4lbs!!! I never understand the things that say body weight differs by 2lbs.. maybe i eat and drink alot!!

I lost 1/4lb this week... hehe wouldn't have even been measured on SW scales but I'm happy I havn't put on lots again.

Do other people find they have days where they just want to eat everything in sight? I'm not really worrying about it on days that I do and just try and not go too ridiculous but was wondering if it's a normal pregnancy thing or just a general greedy day lol.
My last pregnancy was so different! I hardly ate any bad food all the way through without even trying and this time i'm having dreams about bigmacs!!!!

aww hugs lebody. i know thats what i have put on too, but im also really disheartened by it so i know how you feel. i keep telling myself it could be worst though!

well my diet has gone out the window :8855: i moved house last friday and been far too busy to even think about it. had my daughters 2nd birthday on wednesday so lots of picnic and cake had by me! plus had alot of convienance stuff for dinner this week so i wont be surprised if i have had yet another gain...but im not beating myself up about it. im sooooo happy me and dd have our own little house, nothing else matters just now! apart from my dire need for a sofa!! beanbags are not good when pregnant:rolleyes:

im pretty certain im not going to meet my may target..but there is still june, july & august to concentrate on!

in regards to the previous comments re dieting while pregnant. i might get shot down for saying this, but i actually want to loose weight. i said to myself i only wanted to gain 14lb, and im up to that now so now want to loose some or sts. still, that makes me 4st over my ideal weight so loosing is preferable! i would love to get down to my pre pregnancy weight before the birth, that would be amazing, but i wont hold my breath or put too much pressure on.
as long as baby is getting all she needs and i still eat healthy foods then i dont see a problem. my first pregnancy i gained 6st and had gestational diabetes, terrible mobility problems and i put alot of my post natal problems and depression down to being overweight.
for me, dieting and eating healthy is faaaaar safer than going through that again!

hi all

hi everyone, havent updated my weight loss as basically couldnt face going to sw yesturday .. have just had the most cpl stressful days .. had a doppler scan on 19th where they discovered the blood flow from one of my uterine arteries was not very good, although they work it out on the average .. which appears to be ok (for the moment!) they have offered me extra scans to monitor the situation and told me not to worry .. which of course, I AM! and just havent stopped eating cr*p, cr*p and more cr*p for last cpl days !! this teamed with lead up to 2nd yr anniversary (today) our angel febe was born sleeping has meant sw was not on my number one list of priorities .. so i too doubt i shall meet mays target weight loss, but im not going to throw the towel in .. oh no, i owe it to baby to try and eat as healthily as i can, more so now than ever so im back on the wagon and hopefully back in control .. i really lost it there for a couple of days! .. i will weigh in next week, then set a new target for june xx
remembering febe p - born sleeping 21/5/08

a little flower, lent not given
to bud on earth and bloom in heaven xx

Last edited:
Back