Maybe a silly question, but does it work?

abz

Gold Member
Howdy, I haven't been on the forum for an age, I will have to update all my stats, but I was wondering how effective the 5:2 is. I've been doing dukan for a while, I usually do slimming world, but my meds have caused me problems and i'm waiting for surgery and got told to up the protein and drop the carbs, but it's getting a bit dull after two months and i'm looking for something else to fill the gap. this sounds great, but it also sounds too good to be true, and i'm not used to counting calories. is it difficult? Does it work, and is it ridiculously easy to sabotage yourself, because i'm great at that.

thanks in advance :)

abz xx

Hi

I've been doing the 5:2 on and off for about 6 months. I've found it definitely works and find it particularly helpful when I reach a stagnating point with some stubborn pounds to go. Fasting seems to kick start me again.

I'm also not a big calorie counter so have some set meal plans that I know keep me at the 500 mark and then just eat my usual balanced healthy food the other days.

Some people struggle to get the balance of food right on fast days so do play around working out how to split up the calories. I go for a small breakfast of fruit and yoghurt, yoghurt again at lunch and then a decent meal in the evening but it's about what works for you.

It definitely works - I've lost 15lb in the five weeks that I've been back on 5:2.

With regards to counting calories, there are some people who don't count at all on their "normal" days. However, I think this leads onto your question about self-sabotage. I personally wouldn't be able to take this no counting approach. I am the type of person who needs structure and a limit, otherwise I would just see it as a green light to binge. I calculated my TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure, your "normal" day calorie limit) and I never exceed that amount. BUT - that doesn't mean I don't have "treats" or enjoy myself. I think that the beauty of this lifestyle is that it's so flexible and you can eat whatever you fancy. It's about everything in moderation. And, a good mixture and balance! In the last five weeks I've been out for numerous meals, had a few nights out, enjoy a couple of alcoholic drinks most weekends, have a bar of chocolate almost every day, etc. but I have also enjoyed good, nutritious, homecooked meals. More often than not cooked in a SW friendly way.

I personally don't think it's difficult, but obviously we're all different. It works for some, for others it doesn't! I appreciate that the Fast days can seem very daunting at first, and that 500cals really seems like nothing. But, if you plan well and make sensible choices then it's amazing how much you can get out of those 500cals! Things like fruit, salad, stirfry, soup, etc. are all good options. Also, low calorie ready meals can be handy for Fast days! My favourites tend to be from the M&S "Count on Us" and "Balanced For You" ranges.

As I mentioned earlier, the 5:2 diet isn't for everyone. But the only way to find out is to try it for yourself! It can be a bit of trial and error at first, but I'd maybe try it for a few weeks (to give it a fair chance) and see how you get on.

I don't think I'm allowed to post links on here, but if you do a Google search for "The Fast Diet", you will find the first link very useful. It covers the plan in much more detail and also has a calculator which will tell you your own TDEE.

Good luck!

Back