Me, Myself & I... Lower carb, fasting, real live foods

Ok my weight is coming down again.. But am liking reading the skinny rules by bob harper from biggest looser - kind of make sense - maybe can use them with what I'm doing .. No carbs after lunch.. No eating after 8pm, go to bed hungry (ish) your sleep better! Big glass water (16oz) before meals, and snacks - 20 rules in total.

Mis-behave said:
Ok my weight is coming down again.. But am liking reading the skinny rules by bob harper from biggest looser - kind of make sense - maybe can use them with what I'm doing .. No carbs after lunch.. No eating after 8pm, go to bed hungry (ish) your sleep better! Big glass water (16oz) before meals, and snacks - 20 rules in total.

I love bob harper x

THE SKINNY RULES
1)Drink a Large Glass of Water Before Every Meal--No Excuses!
2)Don't Drink Your Calories
3)Eat Protein at Every Meal--or Stay Hungry and Grouchy
4)Slash Your Intake of Refined Flours and Grains
5)Eat 30 to 50 Grams of Fiber a Day
6)Eat Apples and Berries Every Single Day!
7)No Carbs After Lunch
8)Learn to Read Food Labels - so you Know What You Are Eating
9)Stop Guessing About Portion Size and Get It Right-- For Good
10)No More Added Sweeteners, Including Artificial Ones
11)Get Rid of Those White Potatoes
12)Make One Day a Week Meatless
13)Get Rid of Fast Foods and Fried Foods
14)Eat a Real Breakfast
15)Make Your Own Food and Eat at Least Ten Meals a Week at Home
16)Banish High-Salt Foods
17)Eat Your Vegetables--Just Do It!
18)Go to Bed Hungry- no eating after 8pm/ after dinner
19) Sleep Right
20)Plan One Splurge Meal a Week

Thinking again.. Not sure that thinking is good for my eating plan tho lol

On the days that I restrict my carb intake I normally manage a good day eating wise.. But on the days I have carbs I tend to blow it and go way over and choose the wrong types of carbs.. Like today.. I have decided that the food doctor granola is "evil" I just want to eat the whole packet all 450g of it!!! So it's going in the BIN!! I do like the food doctor porridge mix, it has no dried fruit in it just seeds like sun flower and pumpkin seeds, and don't feel like eating the whole packet am happy with my 50g (1/2 cup) made with water ...

I like Bob Harpers idea for a snack of apple/ berries with plain yogurt - and he says have an apple and berries every day.. I don't get a "sugar" high/ rush from apples or berries - so I think I'm going to use that in my plan ..

Also I quite like the no carbs after lunch ... Which means I can still alternate breakfasts between porridge and omelettes.

Just need to change my lunch to include some low GI carbs - like sweet potatoes etc - which just means being prepared!! (roll eyes) lol

Bob Harper suggests doing loads stuff on Sunday so your prepared for the week!! Might have to do this lol - gosh why didn't I think of that ! Oh yes I did and the I can't be bothered part of my brain - went off to bed! The rest of me was watching TV and using my iPhone!

Hmmm some of those rules make sense basic common sense eating but I could never manage no carb after lunch!!!!! I eat berries most days & would miss them like mad if I wasn't doing!!! As you know I do quite high protein cos it makes me fuller...

I'm worried though honey that you are trying to follow too many things, low GI, south beach, bob harker. For me it really is about eating less & doing more & it's working for me....

Can you not just go back to xen rules & keep ringing small independents to try & get your script filled xx

Last edited:
Lexie2005 said:
Hmmm some of those rules make sense basic common sense eating but I could never manage no carb after lunch!!!!! I eat berries most days & would miss them like mad if I wasn't doing!!! As you know I do quite high protein cos it makes me fuller...

I'm worried though honey that you are trying to follow too many things, low GI, south beach, bob harder. For me it really is about eating less & doing more & it's working for me....

Can you not just go back to xen rules & keep ringing small independents to try & get your script filled xx

The main reason i am going low GI/ lower carbs and cutting out the snacky carb items, is that I find that I tend to bloat in my upper stomach area eating white bread, pastry's, popcorn, pasta, cakes, low fat snack items that are within xen rules, which is why I'm trying to find a plan that I can stick to, for life. I am still cooking within xen rules, I'm just eating more nuts and seeds, which are not so xen friendly lol

At the end of the 2 weeks of phase 1 my upper stomach was noticeably flatter, at the moment it is now puffy and bloated from what I have eaten this week, so my plan of 1 day low carb and the other more carbs has not worked! So I need to try something else.. So next week(as of tomorrow) I am going to try use some or most of bob harpers rules and see how it works - I'm still feeling positive just need to adjust my plan.. :)

Low GI and south beach are similar, I tend to do well with the phase 1 of SBD it's when I start eating more low GI carbs after the phase 1 period of 2 weeks. That I have issues, I do ok for breakfast, after lunch I crave sweet stuff and then end up eating other rubbish - so this week on my non carb days I did ok but on the days I ate more carbs I just didn't stop.. Portion control and binging - trigger foods or mood (headaches).

I have sorted breakfast, porridge every other day and eggs, bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms, the other days.

I tend to get hungry again about 9:30-10am - so having a small salad - or the plain yogurt (200g plain low fat) with an apple or berries, which I tried today and was filling. Tesco now does 200g pots light plain yogurt, also is some thing I can continue when we are away.

Lunch: I will have to change a bit if I am to cut the carbs from lunch onwards - I think I could do this with planning (and getting off my butt!)- I am eating a lot of chickpeas at the moment and will still make a good lunch, just add loads of green veg with lunch.

Change my afternoon snack habits: to maybe a boiled egg, sardines and some salad, quiche with no pastry - SBD recipe.. eggs, spinach baked in oven.

Dinner I don't mind just having meat and loads veg I do that on my days when I reduce my carbs , and I don't tend to eat after dinner anyway - unless I've been to kettlercise class - then I think I will have the protein shake made with milk, depends how I feel..

I'm not giving up just changing directions as the one I was going in wasn't working :)

Going back to how I was when I was on the tablets I was eating a lot of tesco ready meals - lunch and sometimes dinner - was a bit too expensive. Also made me lazy to cook and prepare meals for the family :)

Just been to a kids b-day party - really tried not to eat the birthday cake, but my will power was not firm enough .. Still with my kcals (just)! Lol

This is an odd and personal question so tell me to mind my own of you want!

Bingo wings....?

Did you have them did kettle bells help?!

I need to fix mine! Cx

Last edited:
Mizkirsty said:
This is an odd and personal question so tell me to mind my own of you want!

Bingo wings....?

Did you have them did kettle bells help?!

I need to fix mine! Cx

Hi no prob, bingo wings yes had worse ones and yes kettle bells def helped, I had been using a 4kg bell and saw better tone over whole of my arm, and once I moved up to using the 6kg for arm work the toning improved alot quicker.. Kettle bells has really changed the shape of my shoulders, arms and upper back - no fat lump on the back of my neck, shoulder area reduced and toned arms more definition and bingo wings reducing slowly :) - they are a hard place to tone up :)

Yeah I'm getting fed up with mine I'm off out today to buy one! What DVD do you have?! I wonder if I can get one in tesco Aswell as the kettle bell!

Has it tones your core at all!? Xx

Yup to core too :). The kettleworx DVD set is a bit pricy but worth it.

Mis-behave said:
Yup to core too :). The kettleworx DVD set is a bit pricy but worth it.

I saw in the kettlebells forum earlier that there's a kettleworx groupon offer at the mo!

Took Kirsty's advice today with my mcDs burger - I left the bread bun (after 2 bites) must say I ate the fries.. Was driving to my urgent eye appt.. Ok I have a infection in my eyes - but am ok to drive as long as wearing my glasses ;) new eye drops hope they work!

Well done!!!! Did you feel better for staying just that little bit extra in control and not giving in to that carb craving!!

Oh no sorry about your eyes hope you feel better soon!!! Xx

Mizkirsty said:
Well done!!!! Did you feel better for staying just that little bit extra in control and not giving in to that carb craving!!

Oh no sorry about your eyes hope you feel better soon!!! Xx

Def better, as I knew if I ate it I would bloat! 2 bites was enough lol

Thanks, feel less bloated this morning - glad I didn't eat the bread. I going to keep trying bob harpers rules, the ones that I can stick to at least and then add in the others when I can :)

I think the hardest one is the no carbs after lunch, I can do dinner fine when at home.

Its the time between lunch and dinner that's hard, also hard when your out and about and visiting others, you really need to be prepared with non carb foods in your bag (and actually eat them) and have a big "no thanks" ready and not give in to the pressure of others (like my sister in laws!)

Have done quite well today, had a huge amount of fresh fish tonight for dinner - yummy with more frozen sliced green beans..

Need to restock on the frozen veg .. Lol :)

Back