Me, Myself & I... Lower carb, fasting, real live foods

LisaM1977 said:
I know what you are saying, you have stuck to one plan for such a long time and it works ... I worry Tara is taking it to the extreme :(
Tara- how about giving Tracy's plan a try.. The fasting works for you and makes you feel better... X x

Thanks, hon - it's just a matter of being sensible and following the guidelines. As I've lost consistently for over two years now, it seems to be working, so I'd never say don't do daily fasting, just don't ignore the recommendations. :) xx

Last week I did stop eating at 6/7pm and fast till lunch time .. Didn't make any difference .. Read up about fast 5 which is a 24 hour fast from 5 in evening till 5pm next day on every other day .. I found I can fast till lunch time but further than That no can do .. Get too hungry either feeling it or in my head.. :)

So all I'm doing is starting my fast earlier like at 4:30:5pm I will still be eating my breakfast and lunch and what ever else but just stop at 4:30/5pm rather than my normal 6/7pm .. I don't snack in the evenings much anyway .. Now that I don't really crave choc as much I'm not fridge diving after dinner so much :)

I tried the fasting till lunch time - yes can do it but my weight didn't shift down.. So to get things moving I'm going to try fasting this way .. I don't think doing it every day will work long term but I want a kick in my butt to get things moving ., the next week I will prob include a few days where I don't fast ..

The best thing I found about fasting when I did it before was it started shifting my belly fat .. Most of my weight is round my middle.. I'm a 16/14 arms shoulders breasts, legs etc just a 18/20 round my tummy waist lower abdominal area .. My upper tummy is flatter with cutting out the wheat and grains and I'm not so "puffy" but I still look pregnant round my lower areas ., if the fasting will help remove it yay., even better if I can stick to this way of fasting and my energy levels don't drop :)

What 'diet' are you doing? If your sticking to Paleo/Primal you do not need to fast every day you just need to get what you are eating sorted out.:) You have messed around so much in the last few months no wonder your body doesn't know what it wants to do. Sorry if this seems harsh but from an outsider looking in this is what it looks like to me.You haven't a clue what 'diet' you want to follow.You seem to be making it up as you go along.

Hello I'm not dieting I'm living my life and figuring out what will work for me.. I have issues with the way I feel energy wise, I'm doing what I can to improve this.. My energy levels are better now and I want to start fasting again .. As the reason I stopped was my low energy levels after getting sick with tonsillitis way back in the beginning of the year..

If you read enough you would know that Fasting is part of primal and how I choose to do it is my decision; there are many ways of doing it .. MDA talks about skipping the odd meal here and there I'm choosing to skip dinner and breakfast but still eat most of my kcals during the day. Primally of course.. And in my primal I include dairy as I'm not intolerant to it :)

I'm going to do this style for next week, the following week I may add in a few normal days.. If it's too much doing it the way I outlined..

I eat mostly primal, I don't eat wheat and most other grains, my exceptions are rice sometimes and potatoes, yes I have takeaways ., and most of the time I choose the best option for me that is mostly primal. I eat eggs, meat plenty of veg and use good oils.. I'm doing heavy lifting and moving more .

Days I'm low energy I eat more carbs in the form of dried fruit, rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes.

In the last few months I have reduced my chocolate consumption - dark chocolate of course. I don't drink wine or spirits.. Unless in cooking.

To my mind that's all primal way of life., yes there is room for improvement ., I will do what suits me within the frame of my family life..

Just having my late lunch of salmon, carrots, broccoli cauliflower 1/3 avocado few tomatoes ..

Lunch out tomorrow birthday lunch for niece and bro in law ... So made some chunky monkey

image-2201951321.jpg

banana mini loaves from book primal cravings .. If I bring as a gift lol I can have one and avoid the main cake made with wheat hehe :)

Need to make 18 for my niece .., 16 down and 2 more to go lol doubled the mix and got 16 mini loaves so need to make another mix .. My sons will be happy!! ;)

What about doing Bulletproof fasting.Great for people who fast but has/suffer in low energy.:)

I don't drink tea or coffee ... Just Water, milk, and diet coke (1 x 250ml can - most days) - don't drink juice unless I have no other option.. Don't drink alcohol. Don't smoke etc

My doc said my blood test is really good and if they didn't know I was over weight - they would assume I was within my correct BMI/ weight range .. Blood pressure is good etc.. There is no reason they can see that would cause me to be tired and lack energy. I talked about adrenal fatigue with the doctor and if you are only mildly fatigued they can't help you.. Plus no real advise just go to bed earlier.. Off the record doc said seek out a herbalist or alternative medicinal practice..

Which is what I've done .. The supplements suggested are helping and my energy levels are better/ they also suggested eating more "good" carbs to help which I've done .. But adding the good carbs back in has not helped my weight loss. I've now lowered the amount of good carbs , and as my energy levels are better I want to try this way of Fasting, in reality it is just skipping one meal a day, my kcals are still pretty normal for me on a good day... It's not like I'm eating low kcals every day .. It just that I finish eating earlier.. And skip breakfast the next day. Mentally I can handle doing this better than an all day fast on 500kcals. Sticking to fasting is all about mentally being prepared and my willpower has issues with an all day fast - my brain likes the fact I'm able to eat everyday. A few people have got good results doing this, I think it is worth a go and I think I can do it successfully and start loosing the weight I've gained since I've been eating more good carbs.

I don't drink tea or coffee ... Just Water, milk, and diet coke (1 x 250ml can - most days) - don't drink juice unless I have no other option.. Don't drink alcohol. Don't smoke etc

My doc said my blood test is really good and if they didn't know I was over weight - they would assume I was within my correct BMI/ weight range .. Blood pressure is good etc.. There is no reason they can see that would cause me to be tired and lack energy. I talked about adrenal fatigue with the doctor and if you are only mildly fatigued they can't help you.. Plus no real advise just go to bed earlier.. Off the record doc said seek out a herbalist or alternative medicinal practice..

Which is what I've done .. The supplements suggested are helping and my energy levels are better/ they also suggested eating more "good" carbs to help which I've done .. But adding the good carbs back in has not helped my weight loss. I've now lowered the amount of good carbs , and as my energy levels are better I want to try this way of Fasting, in reality it is just skipping one meal a day, my kcals are still pretty normal for me on a good day... It's not like I'm eating low kcals every day .. It just that I finish eating earlier.. And skip breakfast the next day. Mentally I can handle doing this better than an all day fast on 500kcals. Sticking to fasting is all about mentally being prepared and my willpower has issues with an all day fast - my brain likes the fact I'm able to eat everyday. A few people have got good results doing this, I think it is worth a go and I think I can do it successfully and start loosing the weight I've gained since I've been eating more good carbs.

I hope you dont take this the wrong way (never a god start to a sentence :rolleyes: but just want to throw a few things out there)

I know you're set on the daily fasting but it seems fasting is not great if have adrenal problems and fasting everyday is not recommended in any of the fasting plans that are out there, keeping your kcals low everyday will not help with weight loss.
If you track your kcals, can I ask what you think is a normal amount for you?

If you have been dieting for a while your hormones will be out of whack, have you thought about maybe just eating paleo/primal
and focusing the health aspects and maybe letting dieting take a back seat for a while? You seem to be doing some high intensity
exercise and if you are not fat adapted it will be hard for your body to cope with exercising in a fasted state.

also have you tried cutting the coke? that might be affecting your energy levels.

Sleep is soooooo important for weight loss too, I know you have a young family but getting yourself into a good sleep routine will help with energy too.

sorry if this came across in the wrong way, Im not meaning to upset you, just want to try help!
Hope you're having a fun weekend with your family :) xx

eatlikeaGFgirl said:
I hope you dont take this the wrong way (never a god start to a sentence :rolleyes: but just want to throw a few things out there)

I know you're set on the daily fasting but it seems fasting is not great if have adrenal problems and fasting everyday is not recommended in any of the fasting plans that are out there, keeping your kcals low everyday will not help with weight loss.
If you track your kcals, can I ask what you think is a normal amount for you?

If you have been dieting for a while your hormones will be out of whack, have you thought about maybe just eating paleo/primal
and focusing the health aspects and maybe letting dieting take a back seat for a while? You seem to be doing some high intensity
exercise and if you are not fat adapted it will be hard for your body to cope with exercising in a fasted state.

also have you tried cutting the coke? that might be affecting your energy levels.

Sleep is soooooo important for weight loss too, I know you have a young family but getting yourself into a good sleep routine will help with energy too.

sorry if this came across in the wrong way, Im not meaning to upset you, just want to try help!
Hope you're having a fun weekend with your family :) xx

Hiya! Whilst, as I've said, I'm concerned that Tara is fasting for too long each day, there is certainly a lot of information out there that indicates that daily or intermittent fasting has both health and weight loss benefits, and the idea does fit in well with primal eating plans as it would basically have been how cavemen ate - they wouldn't have had three meals a day. So, whilst I personally wouldn't fast for longer than 14 hours a day, I do think it can be a valid option if you find it suits you. Here's one of the many online pieces I've read on the subject:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/08/06/a-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/

:) xx

Hiya! Whilst, as I've said, I'm concerned that Tara is fasting for too long each day, there is certainly a lot of information out there that indicates that daily or intermittent fasting has both health and weight loss benefits, and the idea does fit in well with primal eating plans as it would basically have been how cavemen ate - they wouldn't have had three meals a day. So, whilst I personally wouldn't fast for longer than 14 hours a day, I do think it can be a valid option if you find it suits you. Here's one of the many online pieces I've read on the subject:

A Beginner's Guide to Intermittent Fasting | Nerd Fitness

:) xx

Hi! Yeah I know fasting can be beneficial I was just querying it with the adrenal fatigue is all :)
and also the lengths of fasting and keeping the kcals low every day which can be detrimental. Restrictive eating,
i.e. constant low kcals for just 10 weeks can alter hormones such as cortisol, leptin and ghrelin for up to a year.

I do agree about the benefits or fasting, and we seem to have the same concerns for Tara about the length
of the fasts.

I was just throwing some things out there to be considered and to try help as it seems her lack of weight
loss has been stressing her these past few weeks

xx

eatlikeaGFgirl said:
Hi! Yeah I know fasting can be beneficial I was just querying it with the adrenal fatigue is all :)
and also the lengths of fasting and keeping the kcals low every day which can be detrimental. Restrictive eating,
i.e. constant low kcals for just 10 weeks can alter hormones such as cortisol, leptin and ghrelin for up to a year.

I do agree about the benefits or fasting, and we seem to have the same concerns for Tara about the length
of the fasts.

I was just throwing some things out there to be considered and to try help as it seems her lack of weight
loss has been stressing her these past few weeks

xx

Oh I know we're both coming at it from the point of view of being concerned, hon. :) It was just with you questioning whether daily fasting was recommended on any fasting plan. I myself have chronic fatigue syndrome/ME, have done for 24 years now, and I've actually found that daily fasting has improved my fatigue considerably (and losing over 9 stone hasn't hurt either, lol) - it's honestly just a matter of trying these things, I suppose. :) xx

Re: Diet issues... Of me, myself & I

Oh I know we're both coming at it from the point of view of being concerned, hon. :) It was just with you questioning whether daily fasting was recommended on any fasting plan. I myself have chronic fatigue syndrome/ME, have done for 24 years now, and I've actually found that daily fasting has improved my fatigue considerably (and losing over 9 stone hasn't hurt either, lol) - it's honestly just a matter of trying these things, I suppose. :) xx

Lol think we've cross-wired, I don't think of eating windows as fasting in the traditional sense, so I totally agree with you that doing an eating window daily is ok, I just read from what Tara wrote that what she was wanting to do as different to an eating window if that makes sense?! It seemed more strict the way she wanted to go with it, more like alternative day fasting but every day I.e. keeping kcals low and within a set time.

Its good to hear you've managed to get the fatigue under control, I've have ME for the last 13 years. It's great when you find something that works!

xx

Sent from my GT-I8190N using MiniMins.com mobile app

Thank you both :) my daily kcals are anywhere from 1500-2000 daily .. Even with the style of fasting I'm talking about I not keeping my kcals low I'm just stoping eating earlier, I've done it twice now .. And I'm feeling ok with it ..

Thursday I stopped eating at 4:45pm and started again at 12pm Friday
Sat I stopped eating at 4:30pm after a big late lunch and started again at 12pm today .,
Tomorrow (Monday) I will have breakfast and lunch and a snack (small dinner) then not eat any more after 4:30pm till 12pm Tuesday lunch time.

In the morning I can easily fast till 12pm lunch time - I don't feel faint or get the shakes - I did some exercise last week while fasting (skipped breakfast) and had no problems with it either, I'm not sure why I felt lightheaded with my Kettlebell class - but my HRM said my heart rate did not go as high last time I exercised it was within my normal range ..

Monday I have my Kettlebell class and I will be having breakfast and lunch early dinner stop eating at 4:30pm

I'm going to this patten until Sat morning and then reevaluate ..

No worries, glad I didnt upset you, I do worry sometimes about how things come across online!

just listen to your body hun :) and I really hope it works for you

xx

No worries, glad I didnt upset you, I do worry sometimes about how things come across online! just listen to your body hun :) and I really hope it works for you xx

No not upset :) - I want to try this as I have been thinking about it for a few mths but just had no energy to start doing it.. As I'm feeling better energy wise I want to start.. I have done a fair amount of reading and thinking about it before I started ..

Fasting makes me realise that food doesn't control me I control it ., I feel a freedom that it's ok to be hungry and it puts me back in touch with my hunger signals..

I also know that if I have low energy I can't and will not do it as my body and my brain can't commit to it.

It's a 19/20 hour fast any longer and I know I would struggle. This way I'm still eating during my hungry afternoon habits 2pm-4:30pm :)

eatlikeaGFgirl said:
Lol think we've cross-wired, I don't think of eating windows as fasting in the traditional sense, so I totally agree with you that doing an eating window daily is ok, I just read from what Tara wrote that what she was wanting to do as different to an eating window if that makes sense?! It seemed more strict the way she wanted to go with it, more like alternative day fasting but every day I.e. keeping kcals low and within a set time.

Its good to hear you've managed to get the fatigue under control, I've have ME for the last 13 years. It's great when you find something that works!

xx

Thanks, hon! You know I've "met" quite a lot of fellow ME sufferers on here - we should have our own sub-forum, lol. How do you manage with yours? Mine is fairly under control, I just manage my energy levels so that I rest a lot when I'm not at work - housework is simply not in my vocabulary!! Just having a bit of a relapse at the moment, as I had my gallbladder out last week and ME just does not like anaesthetics. I also have osteoarthritis in both knees, so my mobility is poor, but I've had no problems losing weight without exercise, fortunately!

Sorry to hijack your diary, Tara! :) xx

Re: Diet issues... Of me, myself & I

Thanks, hon! You know I've "met" quite a lot of fellow ME sufferers on here - we should have our own sub-forum, lol. How do you manage with yours? Mine is fairly under control, I just manage my energy levels so that I rest a lot when I'm not at work - housework is simply not in my vocabulary!! Just having a bit of a relapse at the moment, as I had my gallbladder out last week and ME just does not like anaesthetics. I also have osteoarthritis in both knees, so my mobility is poor, but I've had no problems losing weight without exercise, fortunately!

Sorry to hijack your diary, Tara! :) xx

Lol i hear you about housework, rest is much more important! I manage it with diet (paleo has been a God send), and lots of rest. Its taken a long time to start listening to my body and doing things within my energy levels but I'm so much better than I used to be, and I'm managing (just) a full time course at uni.

Yeah ME does not like anaesthetics! Hope you get over your relapse swiftly :) its always hard going back, its so difficult when you can't do anything but rest.

Thats great about your weight loss though, Ive always struggled to maintain my weight when I have relapses despite not eating much. I'm slowly managing to walk more, mostly due to necessity as got rid of my car and have to bus it, but try to incorporate some yoga when I can.

xx

eatlikeaGFgirl said:
Lol i hear you about housework, rest is much more important! I manage it with diet (paleo has been a God send), and lots of rest. Its taken a long time to start listening to my body and doing things within my energy levels but I'm so much better than I used to be, and I'm managing (just) a full time course at uni.

Yeah ME does not like anaesthetics! Hope you get over your relapse swiftly :) its always hard going back, its so difficult when you can't do anything but rest.

Thats great about your weight loss though, Ive always struggled to maintain my weight when I have relapses despite not eating much. I'm slowly managing to walk more, mostly due to necessity as got rid of my car and have to bus it, but try to incorporate some yoga when I can.

xx

I'm glad to hear you've found a way to manage the condition, that's really vital. It's such a debilitating and misunderstood condition, I've more or less given up asking the medical profession for help unless I have a really bad relapse - there's just no proper resource for it round here (North Staffs). Keep up the good work! :) xx

Went to my Kettlebell class was good 1 hour HRM said 500kcals .. Had breakfast and by lunch was really hungry.. Ate loads and stopped eating at 5pm took longer than I thought for my sweetpotato to bake.. Today no breakfast and was kind of hungry thus morning but managed to last till lunch time :)

Ate quite a bit for lunch and bits and pieces during afternoon ..had dinner and nothing since .. But am starting to have cravings for "something" Resisting going fridge diving lol as I've eaten enough today. I know my totm is due next 3-4 days ..

Tomorrow's plan is have breakfast/ lunch / snack then stop eating at 4:30pm .. Who knows if this is working yet but it's not feeling to bad so far :)

Went to my Kettlebell class was good 1 hour HRM said 500kcals .. Had breakfast and by lunch was really hungry.. Ate loads and stopped eating at 5pm took longer than I thought for my sweetpotato to bake.. Today no breakfast and was kind of hungry thus morning but managed to last till lunch time :)

Ate quite a bit for lunch and bits and pieces during afternoon ..had dinner and nothing since .. But am starting to have cravings for "something" Resisting going fridge diving lol as I've eaten enough today. I know my totm is due next 3-4 days ..

Tomorrow's plan is have breakfast/ lunch / snack then stop eating at 4:30pm .. Who knows if this is working yet but it's not feeling to bad so far :)

I know that feeling, I just couldnt find enough food to eat yesterday lol at least it was all healthy but still, I ate the house!

I was thinking have you tired making hot chocolate with cocoa powder and coconut milk/cream or regular cream?
It might stave off the cravings
or bulletproof hot chocolate with butter and coconut oil?! hmmm I bet that'd be an interesting experiment lol

Hope you have a good day :)

Back