TS AAM Meal ideas for a vegetarian

Blue Butterfly

Gold Member
I will be going away for a long weekend soon and will be doing my aam then as everyone else will be eating so I want to have something too, we'll be staying in a self-catering villa so I can make anything.

I'm a vegetarian and would like some meal ideas please.

Hi,
I am was racking my brains (bit dangerous) and could only really come up with omlette, salad with quorn but if you google vegetarian atkins there is quite a lot of suggestions out there that are a bit more creative than mine :)
Have a fantastic holiday

Thanks for the reply :D
I was wondering if quorn was ok to have, is it low carb does anyone know? As it never seems to be on any lists!

Someone said cottage cheese is low carb too, is it?
Because if so then I'd be happy having that and lettuce for my meal, I'm easily pleased lol

I am a pescatarian, but prior to that I was a vegetarian :)
I do have quorn on a regular basis.
I try not to have any of the stuff in breadcrumbs or pastry. I normally try to stick to the stuff that is 5g of carbs per 100g.
I read it somewhere on the atkins forum about the 5g thing, but cant remember the exact reasoning behind it :eek:

quorn stirfry
omlette, with side salad
quorn fajahitas, using lettuce instead fo wraps.
I think mushrooms are a fairly high protein veg... I am sure I have read that somewhere too... so you could do a big mushroom, with some boursin under the grill, or whatever cheese you like. I think I would have that with something like roasted veg :)

As an after thought, if you are drinking alcohol, make sure you have some carbs :)

Thanks for the wonderful reply :D I really only eat the plain quorn pieces anyway so that's no problem.
Oh and no alcohol for me, I dont fancy getting ill while doing this diet lol

I am veggie too (well ok once in a blue moon i will eat salmon or tuna but not a huge fan of fish either) I had quorn for my AAM week mainly sausages but I also had chicken style fillets in tomato and olive sauce and just green veg which was mainly sprouts for me lol and I lost 5lbs that week :D Hope you have a great weekend

Thanks Katt :D I'm glad using quorn in my aam weeks is ok because I would have been soooooo stuck otherwise! I love the quorn sausages and the quorn flavoured 'meats' that are for sandwiches so now I wont be stuck for choice, yay.

Do you like tofu ? :)

I've never tried tofu. Is it like quorn?

No, nothing like it.....
Its really hard to explain... it doesnt really have a flavour, in the plain form, but I believe you can get a smoked variety.
Its one of those things that is supposed to take on the flavour of whatever you cook it with.
Its got an odd texture, its kinda like scambled egg made from the powder eggs, that has been compacted into a firm spongy cube.

I'm not sure if I have explained that properly, and may have put you off.... I like it :eek:

Do you eat it plain then?
Or is the idea to cook it in sauces and stuff if it takes on the flavour of what it's cooked with.

Hhhmm I think I'll get some to try it.
Where would I buy it from, would Tesco have it?

It's good for stirfrys :) or other Chinesey type meals.
The brand name is Cauldron, I believe.
Any supermarket has it :)
You can get it in the chill cabinet near the other veggie stuff.
It really doesn't have much of a flavour, so its best to add a sauce.
It is high in protein :)
It's not expensive.... I can't remember exactly.... Maybe about 2 quid for a block :)
Cheap enough to try, and if you don't like it, you haven't wasted loadsa dosh :D

This can hardly be considered a meal or a recipe, but did the trick for us today:
150 g mushrooms, sliced
25 g shredded cheese
2 garlic knobs, chopped in small pieces
Mushrooms in an oven tray, sprinkled some water, salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, left for 10 min at 200 degrees in the oven, added the shredded cheese, left for another 5 minutes and done. Quick fix for about 100 cal and 4 g of carbs..

you can make low carb tofu falafels that are great.

I have a book by Rose Elliot, The Vegetarian Low Carb Diet. It great for low carbin, but a lot of it i high fat - which shouldn't been too much of a problem if all you are worried about i stayin in ketosis

Hey BB, I have a really weird diet I'm somewhere between a vegetarian and a vegan. I'm allergic to meat proteins and dairy in it's raw form (can have things like exate or a tiny bit of cheese or milk in bought products, but cant have something like a cheese sarnie or a glass of milk weird huh?) but can still have eggs. I was looking at some recipes for my self and maybe it might help you :)

You could swap the chicken for quorn fillets. :)

Baked cheesy nut chicken with broccoli

30g walnut pieces
25g reduced fat cheddar cheese, finely grated
1 tbsp chopped chives or green top of a spring onion, finely chopped
1 chicken breast (around 130g)
2 medium florets cauliflower
2 medium florets broccoli
Handful of baby leaves or spinach

Overview Nutritional Info

1. Preheat the oven to 190ºC (fan oven 170º) or gas mark 5
2. Chop the walnuts finely and mix with the cheese and chives
3. Press the mixture on top of the chicken breast and place in an oven proof dish.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Check this by piercing with a knife – you should see clear not pinky or cloudy liquid.
5. Meanwhile steam or microwave cook the cauliflower and broccoli
6. Place the baby leaves on a serving plate and top with the chicken. Serve with the cooked vegetables.

Variation: If you don’t like walnuts try with almonds or even chopped peanuts,
Alternatively omit nuts altogether and add 2 tbsp chopped drained sundried tomatoes in oil and some fresh parsley instead of chives. This will provide 331kcal, 44.7g protein, and 2.5g carbohydrates.
Storage: The chicken can be cooled and refrigerated and eaten sliced with salad within 48 hours. It is not suitable for freezing.

Energy kcal447.00Protein g48.00Carbohydrate g3.40Of which sugars g2.80Fat g26.80Of which saturates g4.70Fibre g4.30Sodium g0.30Salt g0.60Portions of vegetables2

*This recipe is intended to enable clients to remain in ketosis, however this will vary for each person and we recommend that you monitor your ketosis levels and use recipes that are suited to you.

swap the turkey for quorn fillets or pieces

Cajun turkey steak with avocado salad

140g turkey breast steak or escalope
1 tsp Cajun spices
Half a medium avocado
2 tsp lime juice
50g chunk of cucumber,
1 large celery stick, washed and sliced
1 tsp vegetable oil

Overview Nutritional Info

1. Spread the Cajun spices on both sides of the turkey breast and leave for 5 minutes whilst you prepare the salad.
2. Cut the avocado in half lengthwise and remove the stone. Sprinkle a little lime juice on the half to be kept, wrap in cling film and refrigerate for another meal. Remove the skin of the half you are using now, and cut into chunks. Place in a small bowl and sprinkle with a little more lime juice.
3. Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, and remove the seeds (optional). Cut into thick slices and mix into the avocado along with the celery slices.
4. Heat the oil in a non stick frying pan and when hot add the turkey steak. Fry for 3 minutes on one side then turn over and cook on the other side. Depending on the thickness of the turkey steak/ escalope this may only take a few minutes on each side. Check by piercing with a sharp knife. Clear liquid indicates that the steak is cooked.
5. Serve at once with the avocado salad.

Serving suggestions: If you are cooking for the family serve this with a portion of new potatoes for the non dieters.
Storage: The salad will keep refrigerated for a few hours only.

Energy kcal330.00Protein g36.20Carbohydrate g3.10Of which sugars g1.80Fat g19.20Of which saturates g4.20Fibre g5.40Sodium g0.10Salt g0.30Portions of vegetables2

*This recipe is intended to enable clients to remain in ketosis, however this will vary for each person and we recommend that you monitor your ketosis levels and use recipes that are suited to you.

HTH :)

Back