Mince

viks

Whats the best mince to have?

Asda smart price, or the really lean expensive stuff or should i go to the butchers.

I fancy some 'chilli con atkins'

The Asda smart price mince is very fatty and gristly.. you'd have to slow cook it to make it tender!

I usually go for the mid priced mince or the lean minced steak.

I remember when I was doing a ketogenic diet, I'd quite often eat the cheapest fresh mince! Tastes good!

Please DONT buy cheap mince! Lean steak mince is best, or go to the butcher and ask them to mince some steak for you - check the price first! Spending a bit of money on meat is always worth it IMO. It tastes better and isn't as fatty, like Rooster says.

I will always buy the best quality I can afford. I think that the quality of the animal's life is important before we eat it.

Laura I totally agree - if I can afford the free range stuff or to buy it from a butchers I will do, a lot of the time I can't and have to go with the cheap stuff. Needs must and whilst the supermarkets offer it so cheaply we will continue to buy it. Sad really. I read Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's meat book (the river cottage chap) and in it he said that if we are to slaughter an animal purely for our own satisfaction the least we can do is give it a happy, fulfilled life. I'm not an animal rights campaigner or owt like that but I thought that was quite profound and have tried to stick by it as much as I can since.

I always buy the cheapest fattiest mince I can find. Then slow cook it. I have a great mince recipe. I'll dig it out tonight and post it in the recipe thread.

Cheaps people :)

Its very tight month tbh, car need a sensor replaced and im trying to save up some spending money for my holiday in august.

i think i will try the mid priced mince this time and then, wee what the right expensive and right cheap stuff is like another time.

btw can you slow cook with out one of the machine cookers? Just bung it in pan on low heat or sometyhing?

btw can you slow cook with out one of the machine cookers? Just bung it in pan on low heat or sometyhing?

That would be dangerous if not watched love. Slow cookers are very very low heat and have sensors to switch themselves off if there is a problem.

neer mind then Jim, i will just fast cook it:p

Try My Mums Danish meat balls, you'll love them Viks.

Saw the recipe a few days ago, so its one of my 'try' options Jim, think i might give the fishes a miss though.

LOL, you'd be surprised at how nice they taste with the anchovies love. :D

Anchovies prettu much dissolve when you cook them, dont they? i love my slow cooker. I did a lamb stew n mine using neck fillet. It was sooooo tender! My Father in law is quite fussy and doesnt eat much but he ate all of his! Chilli and bolognese are quite good too.

I have trouble thickening casseroles/ stew in the slow cooker without flour or granules, any tips?

I use cream or sometimes cream cheese, I did try arrowroot flout once, that wasn't a success but I have used almond flour and that was fine.

HTH Sophie.

Do you add the cream at the end of cooking, Jim? If I'm making a big load of stew to last me a few days, should I just add a bit of cream to the portion I'm about to eat, to prevent it spoiling the leftovers - or does it not matter?

I must get back into using my slow cooker. I have this book gathering dust in my kitchen cupboard, I should take another gander. As I recall, she tends to recommend thickening sauces with xanthan but I've never found it in the supermarket. I guess that low carb superstore place would have it, but I'm scared to go there in case I end up bankrupt!

I always use it at the end LM, I find if I let it boil it curdles mostly.

We use our slow cooker at least a couple of times a week

H&B I think Laura, if not in a health food shop. Colleen found it for me.

Thanks Jim, I will try that! I did a caserole the other day with my leftover BBQ meat, and used some bovril stock and a little bisto to thicken it. It went in really thick and came out like water! Don't know what happened there!

Back