Mince

tigercub

I love mince and have missed eating it this week. I have looked in the shops and the best lean mince says 11.6 fat, even the turkey mince says the same.
But in the book it says mince must be under 10. I'm I been a bit thick or is there some special extra low fat mince some where which I don't know about. My favourite is the frozen lean best Scottish beef with onions from farm foods.

There is a 5% fat mince but it's hideously expensive and tends to dry out when cooked. To be honest, I tend to use regular lean mince and drain off any fat that surfaces.

P x

I have used ordinary lean mince (sainsburys) for meat loaf and chilli and haven't had any problems losing weight, I too tend to drain off the fat.

Always ate lean mince and even went as far as washing the fat off! Dont waste your money on extra lean ive often found that more gristly than normal mince!

Mince your own? I buy large beef roasts when they are on special offer (which makes them cheaper than premium mince, pound for pound) and then roast one third (slowcooker), dice the rest for stews and freeeze, and mice after defrosting if I want mince. This allows me to trim off any visible fat as well so I know it's really premium meat. Also cheap is the Sainsbury frozen beef strips, they are quite tough if you use them in stir frys as suggested but they're great defrosted and slowly cooked in stews or minced as before.
Buy Sainsbury's Beef Steak Strips (454g) online in Sainsbury's at mySupermarket 
Be careful not to buy the frozen stewing beef, I did once - the packaging is nearly identical but it's marbled with fat!

On a PV day I mince a courgette and mix that into the burgers it helps with dryness.

I have been buying the fresh extra lean steak mince from Sainsbury's for sale in the same aisle as the other mince. Very little fat but I still drain it all off. Cheers, Saska

I buy Aldi new reduced fat mince, freeze it in four blocks so it does four meals. I drain off fat part way through cooking and then again at the end. I've done mince patties, meatballs, meatloaf with it....all very tasty.

I also buy Asda mince when its in the reduced fridge. I think we reach a point when we have to be millionaires to afford all the 'right' stuff so it becomes a case of looking for the next best.

Turkey mince I buy when its reduced in Asda and this doesn't seem to have as much fat.

I use mince all the time, drain and if I'm still not happy also sit it on some kitchen roll. At Christmas you can buy a much larger than usual Turkey (my Dukan eyes gleam at the thought!) or even two (!) and mince.

Yes I do the same buy what's on offer And drain of excess fat. So much you can do with mince d

Tesco have an extra lean mince I have been living off, it's only £2 for 500g atm on offer. Look for
[h=1]Country Menu Irish Lean Beef Steak Mince (500g)[/h]

Back