Minerva's on a mission!!

Gosh... That sounds awfully complicated Lou! Respect for figuring that one out!
Def not for me though as I'm a veggie :)
Let us know how you get on!

Oh Minerva you're so right about sugar - it's the devil's seasoning!!!! It's like crack cocaine (I imagine :p ) I wasn't big into chocolate until I moved in with my bf - he always had it around and would pick me up one whenever he had it (of course I let him ;) ) Easter was tough!!!! Glad it's over - won't be that much chocolate in the shops now until Christmas! I find it easier to lose weight in the summer - do you???

How's the studying going? xxx

hey min !!!
so lovely to read your posts again , i often wondered how you were after 2011 ,you seemed to dissapear
so suddenly.Its a delight to hear you so chirpy and still oozing that age old wisdom of yours :0) xx
congrats on your losses so far you are looking amazing mr so dont you forget that !!xxx

Hey Minerva - day one of Paleo has gone well, lots of fats yum yum I love lard/dripping :D had 2 squares of that high cocoa dark choccie as a treat, not 100% paleo but you know, baby steps

Going to try a S&S day tomorrow, if I'm minimising the carbs then I should be able to dip in and out of S&S without too much bother - I'm thinking of a holy trinity of diets ;) invented by myself:

JUDDD - Up days Paleo - Down days S&S - would I lose 3x the weight though ;)

My failure on JUDDD was eating junk on up days, so by having a paleo up day you're having the cals but not the junk. And I just have lots of S&S packs to use up and not much money to buy food, which is where the down days come in!! We'll see - I make all these plans and they come to nothing :D:D I was also thinking - ooh Mon Wed Fri down days, Tue Thur Sat Paleo - Sunday eat whatever! (then write a book about it and retire on the fortune :D:D) I am the queen of fad diets!! My work mates think it's hilarious

good for you getting straight back on it, :D to do that is harder than just staying 100% the whole way through (I think)

Your diet sounds very interesting!! How is it doing? I think with JuDDD counting calories for a maximum per day, depending on weight loss goals (i.e. 1500-1700) is still a requirement to average things out...? I do get how eating junk can happen though, it's so hard to get in the right 'mind set' with something that says "eat whatever you want!". Lol. Recipe for disaster to be honest. :D I'm sure I'd end up doing that after a while! ... just can't imagine that right now as SnS puts you in the VLCD frame of mind where you've forgotten what most things taste like and the muted hunger really drowns any of those voices out...

I find it's easy to get back to 100% after one meal off... Though, don't get me wrong, if I was doing this VLCD thing for the first time (like I was in 2008), even a slice of ham would have sent me into a "It's ALL OVER NOW!!!" spiral and then I'd have completely fallen off... I think this time I just know it's not such a big deal. I'm slowly training the "willpower" and "rationality" muscles for maintenance! Something I've been developing over the last couple of years... probably how I've been able to maintain my 15st for over a year. "Maintaining" the gain without letting it get worse ... well it's an achievement I think? LOL. :rolleyes: I'll keep telling myself that.

Either way, going through all that, training my rationality and willpower has meant that this VLCD isn't a pain in the a$s at all. It's rather tranquil - the food side is EASY. The slow losses are what bug me the most. Oh well. :)

Oh Minerva you're so right about sugar - it's the devil's seasoning!!!! It's like crack cocaine (I imagine :p ) I wasn't big into chocolate until I moved in with my bf - he always had it around and would pick me up one whenever he had it (of course I let him ;) ) Easter was tough!!!! Glad it's over - won't be that much chocolate in the shops now until Christmas! I find it easier to lose weight in the summer - do you???

How's the studying going? xxx

Sugar is awful!!! It is very addictive - some research likens it to an addiction comparable to drugs. Some people are more vulnerable to it (hence extreme morbid obesity and inability to stop... it's not so much people's weakness as addiction to sugar)... The more you can cut out of your daily diet - the better you'll feel. I guarantee it. :)
I'm a house hermit (social anxiety) so I don't go out much in the summer - which means my weight loss is usually the same whether its winter or summer.. It's down to activity levels, you probably go out for a lot more walks when it's better weather. :)
How are you today hun?
x

hey min !!!
so lovely to read your posts again , i often wondered how you were after 2011 ,you seemed to dissapear
so suddenly.Its a delight to hear you so chirpy and still oozing that age old wisdom of yours :0) xx
congrats on your losses so far you are looking amazing mr so dont you forget that !!xxx

Suuukiiieee!!! I'm so happy to see a familiar face!! I was thinking about you the other day, hoping you were doing ok! I wish you all the best with Harcombe diet, I haven't heard of it, what does it entail? :)

And you're right, I'm so much happier now. I was in a really bad place in 2011 and was forcing the dieting without addressing the mental issues and depression, so the two clashed. I worked through it and finally took the dieting plunge this year with a calm and clear head. :D
Do you have a diary going on here that I can follow?

x

Hey Minerva!

My apologies for not being around. A h-ell of a lot of cr*p going on here, the main one being my little man has Rotavirus, and I have been worried sick! He's not eating still, I am trying to get calories down him in any way I can (adding double cream to his milk), as he's losing weight! He's only a tiny thing, so I was so upset when I found out not only had he got this awful virus, but has lost weight too! Then, I caught it! VERY unusual for an adult to get it, just my luck!
A lot going on, on top of all that, so I am jumping on here to catch up with you guys whilst I can!

I tell ya what. Stress and a nasty virus = weight loss! I've lost more this week than I would've done on Sns!! Not that I would advise it though! ;)

Hoping you're well lovely, be good to hear your news :) xxx

Day ... 96 today... Nearly 100 days! Wow! Just 4 meals "off-plan" in total (I think? No more than 5 though). Two of those completely over calorie limit, two of those under 1000 calories for the day.

I think having grey days is fine, it's how life goes. :) I need to learn that life isn't ALL black or white, that grey areas can exist in-between, so long as the majority is done with maximum effort! And the fact that on two of the off-meals I had whatever I wanted and controlled my intake to be within reasonable proportions without taking it as an excuse to pig out shows me that ... maybe I can do this in the future? :D

I was reading through the SnS booklet and realised that week 13 is supposed to be the interim break-week. My body has gone into a plateau... I've had plateaus last weeks with no losses on VLCD attempts in the past, it doesn't do my sanity much good! Plus I'm feeling progressively more drained and snappy in general too.

Now, while I don't actually want food, I'm not hungry or anything like that, I'm not craving... I'll take a week of upping my calories slightly - adding some extra protein and some extra vegetables - using MFP to raise intake to 1000-1200 calories per day. :) To give my body a break ... in Russian or Latvian we'd call it "profilaktika" i.e. a period of respite/rest.

I don't really want to take a week off, as I have a soft deadline I want to lose most of this weight by (end of August for a big party we're hosting), but being in a plateau isn't going to help me either. So... I'm making the decision to go for health over weight loss this time. I know what plateaus do to me and with this heavy studying I need to be smart. Weight loss isn't the most important thing! :)

I hope everyone else is doing ok!! :bighug:

x

Hey Minerva!

My apologies for not being around. A h-ell of a lot of cr*p going on here, the main one being my little man has Rotavirus, and I have been worried sick! He's not eating still, I am trying to get calories down him in any way I can (adding double cream to his milk), as he's losing weight! He's only a tiny thing, so I was so upset when I found out not only had he got this awful virus, but has lost weight too! Then, I caught it! VERY unusual for an adult to get it, just my luck!
A lot going on, on top of all that, so I am jumping on here to catch up with you guys whilst I can!

I tell ya what. Stress and a nasty virus = weight loss! I've lost more this week than I would've done on Sns!! Not that I would advise it though! ;)

Hoping you're well lovely, be good to hear your news :) xxx

Don't apologise!! Oh my word, that's so scary, poor little Max losing weight :( :( :( I keep check on you through your diary - I'm so glad your mum and OH are helping out. Look after yourself Nat, you're ill too. Let the others take over a little bit more, you need to get better for yourself and for your little one. I really hope you can let yourself calm down a little bit, stress won't help you recover... :(
:hug99: Sending you and LO all the best xx

Ah the all or nothing mentality.. I too have struggled with this massively, so it's great to see you putting this into proportion when you have gone off plan. Yesterday in class I realised how good I asm at giving advice to others to help them stay in a rational frame of mind, but rubbish at doing it myself... really need to have 'talks' to myself when I get irrational as boy can I eat during these periods!!! I have a big party coming up in May and thinking about taking a planned break for it... a bit worried, but then I know I won't enjoy these events as much if I don't eat / drink - and I do need to realise there will be times in life where we exceed calories / go off eating plan and this is ok as long as it's just the planned break and doesn't last all week/day! Great to see how well you have managed this.

What's the party you are hosting in August? x

Ah the all or nothing mentality.. I too have struggled with this massively, so it's great to see you putting this into proportion when you have gone off plan. Yesterday in class I realised how good I asm at giving advice to others to help them stay in a rational frame of mind, but rubbish at doing it myself... really need to have 'talks' to myself when I get irrational as boy can I eat during these periods!!! I have a big party coming up in May and thinking about taking a planned break for it... a bit worried, but then I know I won't enjoy these events as much if I don't eat / drink - and I do need to realise there will be times in life where we exceed calories / go off eating plan and this is ok as long as it's just the planned break and doesn't last all week/day! Great to see how well you have managed this.

What's the party you are hosting in August? x

The all or nothing mentality is something I struggled with the most in all honesty - still do in all aspects of my life, except for food... I really worked on that one, analysed a lot of interactions, had controlled Christmases, planned for events (dieting before) and eventually... it has become easier to be able to indulge *a little bit* without taking the whole pie in front of me. Don't get me wrong though - there are still occasions when I go "F**k it, I want it all!!" but I MAKE that DECISION. There's an important distinction between a conscious decision and an irrational/impulsive response - and that is what I really have to watch out for. :)

I'm glad that LL group is bringing up things for you to think about, I remember you said you weren't too sure about your LLC. What is the big party you have in May? Maybe, to rationalise it, mark it on your calendar and tell yourself that for that 1 day you're not on the diet, but PRACTICING how life would go. Really listen to your stomach and don't force it to have more than it wants. :) The more you worry, the more of an issue it will become! It's really not so scary - if anything, on my days off I've always had my SnS porridge for breakfast and SnS soup for lunch to get me in the right frame of mind for the evening. But you are right, life will always throw occasions at us when we exceed slightly - but we balance out by having less around that day ;)

As for my plans for August... don't laugh, but OH and I are hosting another WoW Guild meet... hah. We invited our guild out last August too, had a lovely time, but I felt so uncomfortable as a size 18/20... now I want to look a bit better and shock my friends with some dramatic weight loss :p It's quite sad really, but it spurs me on! :D

Last edited:
hehe that is awsome - we are more similar than you think Min, so I would never laugh ;) We did about 15 meets for our guild back in the day... wow that seems a lifetime ago! in fact the last meet we did was the bank holiday weekend in August, and was the weekend before I started LL for the firt time!! great bunch of people, many who we are still friends with. We have hosted 3 meets at our house, great memoreis. We don't play anymore, but have talked of all meeting up sometime this year, would be ace to be at goal for that, they have never seen me slim!

My events in may .. I say events as there are actually 3!! On 11th May is my husbands, aunt's 60th, all the in-laws are going and I don't think I have ever been drunk with my in-laws as I have always been dieting or had my boys to think of.. my boys are staying with my mum over night and me and hubby are booked into a hotel, so would really like to indulge I think... then on 12th is our wedding anniversary so we have booked for a 2 michelin star resturant! ekkk.... then to top it off on 16th May is my company's annual conference, the only time where all employees (around 400!) are together (I spoke at this event last year, that seems crazy now!) and as I work based at home, but love my regional team, it's a great chance to get together and drink.. haha our team usually is up till around 4am! We have hotels etc, and it's a real good experience, very motivaltional for work, so again not sure. Writing this makes me think I want to 'enjoy' each event, and SS the rest of the week, and maybe treat it as my weeks break. I know in the future when such events come round I will want to indludge, but then balance it like you said, that is the key! I am gonig to see how I am feeling come may, but at mo am planning a food break. x

hehe that is awsome - we are more similar than you think Min, so I would never laugh ;) We did about 15 meets for our guild back in the day... wow that seems a lifetime ago! in fact the last meet we did was the bank holiday weekend in August, and was the weekend before I started LL for the firt time!! great bunch of people, many who we are still friends with. We have hosted 3 meets at our house, great memoreis. We don't play anymore, but have talked of all meeting up sometime this year, would be ace to be at goal for that, they have never seen me slim!

My events in may .. I say events as there are actually 3!! On 11th May is my husbands, aunt's 60th, all the in-laws are going and I don't think I have ever been drunk with my in-laws as I have always been dieting or had my boys to think of.. my boys are staying with my mum over night and me and hubby are booked into a hotel, so would really like to indulge I think... then on 12th is our wedding anniversary so we have booked for a 2 michelin star resturant! ekkk.... then to top it off on 16th May is my company's annual conference, the only time where all employees (around 400!) are together (I spoke at this event last year, that seems crazy now!) and as I work based at home, but love my regional team, it's a great chance to get together and drink.. haha our team usually is up till around 4am! We have hotels etc, and it's a real good experience, very motivaltional for work, so again not sure. Writing this makes me think I want to 'enjoy' each event, and SS the rest of the week, and maybe treat it as my weeks break. I know in the future when such events come round I will want to indludge, but then balance it like you said, that is the key! I am gonig to see how I am feeling come may, but at mo am planning a food break. x

I do remember you were my WoW buddy on here back in 2011! :D I'm VERY impressed with the 15 guild meets!! I can't say I can match that (yet), like you I've made some very good friends through there, some who will remain our friends even when we eventually stop raiding together. :) I really hope you get to see them again this year!!

Sounds like an action planned mid-May you have!! The blessing is that they're all right next to each other. It all sounds so exciting!! If I was coming up those events, I'd probably take 11th and 12th off... Then (TRY - I get that in-between days are going to be DEAD hard to remain focused) ... let's be realistic - 13th-15th - LL would be technically out, even with the best of intentions. BUT - I think high protein salads (omelette / oat porridge breakfast / salad lunch and meat curry with no carb additions) is very doable. 16th off; 17th go back to high protein diet plan (due to possible hangover!) and 18th back on the packs. You don't want to be nursing a hangover with packs, that's just asking for trouble. .... that's what I'd do anyway. Or try to. The important thing is to try and really rationalise every step of the way. Be aware of your decisions and know why you're doing it that way. I know you can do it, you've maintained and actually lost weight on your own. You have remained very near BMI 30 and not let it spiral out of control - that is a SUCCESS. I'm confident you have the tools to see it through when the time comes. :)

x

Right, so !! I am taking this next week *15* off. I have worked out some meal ideas which are high protein and low carb - I will NOT treat it as an excuse to go all out and whatever. I very much plan to stay in control. :) I will obviously try to document my food days here. I am not going to waste my foodpacks this week, so will return to them on Monday 15th April - just you watch! :D

I don't particularly want to take the week off, but looking at my weight loss, I do see that something is a little wrong. Yes I did overindulge on Monday 1st April - I'm first to admit that. But I did not anticipate that it would have such a horrendous effect on my weight - I have never seen such a negative correlation between real food, water retention and body clinging on to EVERYTHING for dear life before in myself.

On Monday 1st April (in morning) I weighed 13st 3.
Tuesday - 13st 6. *so +3* which is normal.
Wednesday 13st 4. -2
then ...
Sunday (today) - STILL 13st 4. ... 5 days at no movement of ANYTHING. I've been sticking to this 100%, even having less milk than I usually do.

So, I know I'm an extremely SLOW loser, but this is RIDICULOUS (!!) Maybe my body needs a proper break? A "normal" food week? I don't know. I'm at a loss. I really am. I am doing everything I can, hardly eating anything at all - and my body seems to just be sticking its finger at me and saying "NOPE! I'm gonna live quite happily at 700 calories per day so you can shove off!" ...

I'm NOT giving up (obviously!), I am NOT throwing in the towel, I'm actually quite happy and content on this diet, I don't have to think about food and it's very liberating.

I'm just SO DAMN CONFUSED!!! :confused:

Wi is tomorrow morning, though I expect I'll either be same 13st 4 (+1!) or same as last week with STS. ... Lets hope for a miracle and I'll lose that extra pound I appear to have picked up last week! :)

Sounds like a good idea Min. You look like you have it under control with your week off. I remember plateauing big time towards the end of my LL journey. It disheartened me so much that I got totally fed up and left the program without doing the maintaince which is largely why I've put the weight back on.
Good luck Hun and be sure to keep a diary of your meals for us to learn from :)

Thank you Slim&Happy :)
I do remember these plateaus when I did LL too, but I left so ill during them and got into unhealthy patterns of thinking... So I decided I didn't want to push through that emotional and physical horribleness this time, especially with the every-day heavy duty revision & memorisation I have to do. It won't be productive! :D

Just as I predicted - I STS'd (thank god) at 13st 3 this morning.

I suggested having the "week off" to my OH, he was SO HAPPY. Lol, he gets so excited about food, especially when we share it. So we went to Asda for a big shop, did not buy anything "naughty" (wasn't tempted by any of it), bought lots of low-carb things and protein. Lots of vegetables and will even be having some fruit this week... I have missed fruit so much!! - No ready meals, no bread, no sugary snacks - nothing horrible, just clean, pure food.

I won't be calorie/carb counting EVERY meal on MFP because I don't have the time, but will be keeping a rough check on calories per meal. 200ish for breakfast, 200-300ish for lunch, 500-800 (depending) for dinner.

Today's breakfast was GORGEOUS!
170g pot of Total 0%
30ml skimmed milk
10g chopped almonds
75g frozen raspberries
+ Powder sweetner

Worked out at: 200 calories; 13g carbs; 23g protein.

For lunch I believe I'll be having an omelette with side salad.
Dinner - Tuna steak with Nando's Lemon&Herb sprinkle, steamed vegetables and salad.

:)

That brekkie sounds divine! You're dead right to take the week off - still sounds like a very healthy week but yummmmmmmy!!! Nothing worse than when you're revising and you brain starts getting foggy/tired. I bet you're get great work done this week! I honestly can not see you gaining this week - worst case scenario you STS. You could go for good walks too - I find they always make me more alert :)

I played WoW for a little while - I had no clue what I was doing but it was fun!!!

WoW is pretty fun Peri, admittedly I didn't know what I was doing at first either, it's all a matter of playing it and enjoying the company of friends in there! No different than doing things with friends in 'real life' if you ask me :p

Today was successful, I managed to keep track of everything on MyFitnessPal after all :) The meals stayed pretty true to what I had outlined previously; with an addition of an apple as a sweet snack during Game of Thrones. :D
Though - I didn't realise how high carb apples are. 21g per medium (150g) apple. O_O So delicious though...!... LAME!

Calories for the day: 869 - 74g carbs - 25g fat - 90g protein...

Do you think maybe you need a few more calories? Not sure that low is considered healthy when you're eating normal food and not on a TFR VLCD. Wouldn't want to see you get ill!

Hi Caz :) Thank you, I fully agree, I should be getting more calories as I'm eating real food.

I have made a conscious effort not to overload/shock the system with significantly higher calories on the first day, so I kept a cautious eye on it. Wanted to raise it slowly over the course of the week and then reduce it slightly towards the end.

Plus, today was like... "dipping my toe in the water" so to speak. :D

I hope things are going well with you? :)
x

Back