MinnieMel is nolonger considers herself a CDer. One final post.

Happy Halloween!

@Illa,

I posted in my other diary (the gold one -- which requires 1,500 posts to view) about my trip, etc. I'll copy and paste some of it here. Soon, you and Miz Payne will be able to visit that diary.

Mel

Copied from Gold Diary

My Birthday week trip 17 - 24 Oct.:

Anyway, as Corfu is off the northwest coast of Greece and Albania, October is a bit cool (live and learn -- lol). It was too cold for me to go swimming or even lay out (except one day), and it rained a bit (though mostly at night). It was very beautiful and did some boat trips one of which took us across to the mainland of Greece (a small touristy village with a beautiful church).

The hotel was lovely and the food amazing, but we were mislead abut the "spa" facilities (and there was no fitness centre as we were promised). However, there are spas here -- so I will do a spa day in the UK.

My friend and I looked for a really good travel deal (all inclusive, so no cooking, etc.) and then "ran away" from our husbands and kids for a few days. So -- for less than the cost of an Ipad (which is what my husband offered to get me for my birthday) -- I have a fab holiday.

I'd never been to Greece and it was beautiful. On Corfu there was everything imaginable made out of Olive Oil (shaving cream, shampoo, soap, face cream, hand wash, etc.). The soap leaves your skin so soft. (Smells a bit weird though.) We saw turkeys eating olives off the ground -- olive fed turkey? I wonder how that would taste?

On Corfu things seemed okay despite Greece's economic woes. There were a few incomplete and neglected building sites, some closed businesses and there was a general strike on two of the days we were there -- so, when we were in Corfu Town we were unable to visit the museums, etc. but the shops and restaurants were all opened.

Some of the part-time resident Brits, who were trying to leave the island at the end of season, were in trouble because the ferries did not run those two strike days and they stop running between Corfu and Venice on November 1st. So, in order to leave Corfu by boat (if they could not get onto one of the already booked solid final ferries with their cars), they'd have to go by ferry to Athens (way south) and then take a ferry to Southern Italy! Crazy. The only "troubles" we saw were on television and happening in Athens.

I'd like to go back in late May. Maybe fly into Venice and spend a few days there, then take a ferry to Corfu and see some of the southern part of the island and then do the day trip over to Albania to tour the World Heritage site, and fly back to the UK from Corfu.

I may be able to go back with DH and DD -- they weren't interested in Corfu before my trip -- but now they are.

I have not weighed myself since I returned, but I started immediately back on CD 810/1000. I have enough packets to last a couple of weeks, so I think I will make an appointment with my CWPC for the week after next (I have one for Thursday). I eanted to give myself some time to repair the damage done by this trip and the lack of exercise. ;)

I am not hopeful of making my Sunny Bus goal of 9.5 stone by December 12th, but I am hoping to get to a bmi of 25 (10st 5).

Friday, Oct. 28th Halloween Party Night!

We went at Dreadful Dorothy and Scary Scared Scarecrow! It was a very good party and we had a lot fun.

Saturday, Oct 29th -

Halloween Fest Day! I can't be on Minis too long today, as I have to get things sorted for the loooooonnnnngggg afternoon and evening of Halloween events on the Air Force Base.

Every year my DD invites several friends to dress up and go with us to the party on the post, which is then followed by trick-or-treating, and ends with pizza at the fast food place (for them not me). As my DD attends a British school, her friends are British and they love how "big" the whole Halloween thing is with the Americans (and getting loads of American candy). This will be her last year to Trick-or-Treat because she will be 13 in February. If she wants, we will have a Halloween Party instead from next year.

Sunday. Otober 30, 2011
Whew -- I loved getting that extra hour of sleep.

The "Harvest Fest", Trick or Treating and Pizza Party all went well. DD looked very good as Smurfette and the pizza place had salads so I was able to get something to eat -- I missed lunch as I got busy helping DD make cupcakes for her guests.

I bumped into a old friend at the Harvest Fest and she asked me if I wanted to meet up at the gym around 1 p.m. a few times a week. (She works at the school from 8:30 to 1:00, then has to be back at 3:15.) I think this is a good plan -- she is turning 40 this year (mere babe) and is very over-weight (has been as long as I've known her) and really wants to start working towards being healthier. (She knew me when I was my heaviest -- and thinks I am in good shape now -- there aren't many people still here from early 2008.) A workout buddy... fingers crossed!

Oh, I am not sure I mentioned in yesterday's post -- probably did -- I won most original costume for my "Dreadful Dorothy" -- the red claw nails aren't visable in the picture that I will attach as a thumbnail, because I cut out the scarecrow (my DH).

Mel

P.S. Smurfette is my 12 year old daughter. She is as tall as I am (5'4") and the people in charge of the Halloween costume contest called her over to join the adult group... then one of them recognized her and said, "She is not even a teen!" lol

Attachments

• dorothy.jpg
    dorothy.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Julianne Alone.JPG
    Julianne Alone.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 24
sounds like loads of fun. we went out with the kids tonight and brought yet more sweets home. left our pop out skeleton hand bowl outside with the candy and all had gone and the bowl was still there..... lucky us! we were expecting the bowl to have been taken too. :) i think that more younger children went out with their parents tonight, didn't see as many teenagers which is quite nice.

Hi Nikki,

I saw the pictures of Emz and Little Dude on FB. Soooo cute. I did not even get a teenager... not one trick or treater. :(

I am glad you had a good time. We had years of fun with our children and these sorts of things... now we'll have to wait for Grandkids (a looooong wait, I hope).

Mel

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip, although I would have chosen the ipad ;) but I'm a material girl ;) Hope you'll make it to Venice in may it's beautiful there and that you'll be able to have more sun and heat.

I too need to see my CDC soon.

@Illa,

I may end up with an Ipad, too! :)

How far away is your new CDC and how often will you visit them?

Mel

Hi Illa,

I have played with a Ipad 2 and did not like the fact that it did not have an USB port or place for a memory card. I know that you are supposed to use the "Cloud" -- but I would still like to be able to insert my camera's memory card to upload some photos. Plus, it have very little memory. (But it is very cool.)

An hour is not sooo bad -- you who drives "HOW FAR" to go to the beach? ;)

Mel

i love the ipad. kids love the ipad.

ipad 3 is rumoured to be out soon and it's even better. 'wait'.

just subscribed to your thread Mel :) Look forward to reading through! x

LOL, Linz... maybe when you have trouble sleeping. I live a rather dull life. ;)

Mel

I love the fact it's supposed to have a better screen for reading books, so I'll wait, maybe I'll get the 2 at a great price. Mel I have revealed my news in my thread, hope it was worth the wait ;) I'll write more about it later ;) Wishing you a wonderful day !

I love DD's Kindle, so that would be a selling point for me. Do you know if they will add the memory card slot, USB port, and memory?

Mel

I love DD's Kindle, so that would be a selling point for me. Do you know if they will add the memory card slot, USB port, and memory?

Mel

do you know that when you plug it in to your pc to add music etc.. you can add pics and stuff that way? we have the first ipad and we use it everyday! its been really a great investment and if it gave out tomorrow (heaven forbid) its really earned its weight already lol. we have 32gb in it as well and we still have loads of room. i think about 2000ish songs on it. pics and vids and loads of books and apps. even on the first ipad i love reading my books on it. i think if they upgrade it it can only get better, but by far ive been really impressed with it. we've had it for over a year and a half so its still doing good :). hope that helps.

Illa said:
that's really something that I would enjoy now as I'm agonizing on my bed :) Please, make the Ipad 3 come soon ;)
I've looked at the kindle too, but was disappointed to see that in France we could only get the B&W version, with buttons. So no way !

The kindle is without question the best way to read e books. I've got the b and w version complete with buttons and wouldn't thank you for the new one. If you do a lot of reading the kindle is streets ahead of the iPad

Morning All,

Thanks for the ipad input.

The Kindle (it's DD's from my dad) we have is the black and white with the buttons. I think the buttons are a pain -- but I love it. The text to speech feature is rather cool, too. When we were touring a fort in Portugal, I pulled up the guidebook I'd downloaded and my DH used the Kindle for an audio tour. He was impressed.

I'd like the ipad for all sorts of things -- and I hope that I'd make the effort to learn to use it. But, I am not good with technology.

ATM, I am trying to "fix" my TomTom it seems to be out-of-calibration. I borrowed DS's yesterday to get DD from her hospital appt. to school.

I spent ages last night trying to reboot, restore, etc. I will see if it is "fixed" today -- and if not DH will have to look at it over the weekend. I do not need it often, but when I do -- I really do.

I have to get showered, dressed and out the door asap. I have a dental cleaning and exam this morning. Then, I will go to my CWPC house and get weighed, measured, etc. So, I will know how much damage my all-inclusive birthday trip did to my restart.

However, I am determined to get the weight back off and become a Maintainer. So, no matter how "bad" the news... I am sticking this out.

Mel

The kindle is without question the best way to read e books. I've got the b and w version complete with buttons and wouldn't thank you for the new one. If you do a lot of reading the kindle is streets ahead of the iPad

well I think I would rather use the ipad because the books I would be reading in there would be "reference" books such as Photoshop Tricks from Scott Kelby or other books about photography, having no colors would be a very very low point. I guess all depends on the use you have.

Back