MinnieMel is nolonger considers herself a CDer. One final post.

I'm a bit late I know, but pmsl at the Time Warp....what a girl??!!

Also lol at your daughter looking like a 'working girl' You are funny.

You are always so upbeat....a joy to read your diary MM. xxx

@Chels --

Thanks. Of course, the rose coloured glasses have a reading prescription these days, but what 'cha gonna do?

Waiting on DD now, interested in finding out how her day progressed.

MM

@Claire --

I wish we'd gotten a copy of the tapes.

One girl came in dressed like late 1980s Janet Jackson -- and signed "Control". Another came in dressed like a super hero and signed "Believe or Not", etc. Some of the outfits and songs chosen were very cool.

MM

sounds alot more fun than my class, all we were taught was how to sign old mcdonald had a farm, lol

What I was (and will be) doing yesterday and today...

Happy Spring... and yesterday was soooo Spring-like. :)

Yesterday:

Dh, DD and I drove an hour and half to pick up a cistern lid for the aged toilet in our rented house. What was nothing short of miraculous... was that it is a perfect colour match!

After picking up the cover, we took DD to McD's. She had a meal and we had our bars and coffees. (Okay, I had a latte.) Since it was such a lovely day, we decided to visit Kenilworth Castle which was not too far out of the way. That was very interesting, plus I did some "spontaneous" exercise walking all over the site and up and down the stairs.

After the castle, we popped into a tea room after to get DD a "snack". She had chocolate ice cream, DH and I had lattes -- and then I ordered a piece of cake to share with DH. And, he decided he wasn't interested. (It was to be my first treat in months.) It was very dry and so I only ate a bit, and then decided to do my "Beck excercise" and let it be thrown out. I'd rather not consume calories I do not enjoy nor do I need just because it is wasteful. This is hard for me to do.

After we got home, we had leftovers for dinner and it was a bit carby, but I tried to watch my portions. I think I could have done better.

Today:

I have been at home doing some computer work, assisting DS with Uni stuff, Dd with homework and a wee bit of housework. I am about to finish making dinner for the family, and then get back to doing some laundry, etc.

I need to do my Beck, work on my week's menus, and other lists. I thought I had my Monday planned, but now there may be a change. But, I am not bothered -- as what is "important to my health and fitness" will not be altered.

I enjoyed the Big Moon last night, and it was extra special since DD is studying all of that right now.

MM

well done on leaving the cake mel,youre resistance muscle must be getting stronger-can you tell ive started reading the beck book!
i struggle with that too,think mine is because as kids we were always encouraged to clear our plates.
you must have been near to me yesterday mel,kenilworth castle is pretty near,i live in a village just outside nuneaton in warwickshire,i remember going to kenilworth castle at school. we are going to go to warwick castle soon with the children,the new dungeons are meant to be very scary,ds will love it! may even leave him there lol!
well,ive spent the afternoon doing laundry and reading beck,have to get some index cards and post-it notes tommorrow then im all good to go. may even treat myself to a nice new pretty notebook,the things that excite me now!
well,have an enjoyable evening mel and good luck for weigh-in.x

the new dungeons are meant to be very scary,ds will love it! may even leave him there lol!
@Ruby,

Great mums think alike... I kept telling DD that as soon as we figured out which part used to be the dungeon I was going to lock her up! ;)

Thanks for the "Beck Credit"... was debating if I should get a credit, since I was doing a no, no when I decided to not eat the cake. (Plus, had it been delicious, I doubt I could have left any of it.)

Thanks for the good luck wish... I am hoping to show the at least one pound off at the CDC's. And, I will consider that a victory since I have been over-filling my plate all week working om the Beck "Stop Over Eating" exercise.

I really like Warwick Castle. It is included on the Merlin Pass and it is a good day out.

MM

Last edited:
What I am doing instead of eating... 21/3/11

Monday:

CDC visit -- her scales show the one pound off, so I am now at my 2010 low weight! My "reward" is already booked, it is a spa day tomorrow with my CFF.

After the CDC visit, I had to rush to get the gym because I wanted to try the fitness pilates class that is right before the Zumba. It was very hard. I have so little upper body strength. I have tried three different Fitness Pilates at three different leisure centres and no two are alike.

Zumba was different -- but at least my shoes were not slipping (I used a little sandpaper). However, I was being crowded a bit by this rude woman. I even asked her to move back down a bit to where she originally was (and she refused). She had room, but she said she wanted to see the instructor better.

Another person had moved over in front of her and blocked her view, so rather than ask the woman to move back, she pushed over in my "space". She ended up hitting my arm a couple of times -- and it made me not have the best work out: as I had to keep restricting my movements, in order to not bump into her. I said something to the instructor after class.

If it happens again, I think I won't worry about hitting her and if I knock her over, she gets what she deserves. I wouldn't do it on purpose, but I also would let her take responsibility for her own safety. She might be a lot larger than I am, but I am very solid.

Anyway, I am not going to aquafit, even though I really like it, as I have a conditioning class booked tomorrow morning as a part of the Spa Day and need the recovery time. So, DH will take DD to her swim lesson and I'll make a healthy chicken and cous cous dinner, plus try to get some chores accomplished.

I will practice my Beck "Stop Overeating" by putting extra cous cous on my plate. I will also steam some veggies.

Well, I'd better wash the dog, clean the bath, put away the laundry, dry some more laundry, and then make dinner... the fun never stops! lol

MM

I think I will have a good soak in the tub, later. I am a bit sore from the Fitness Pilates.

Omg mel you never stop, have you always been into fitness classes or is it new for you? I have seen some people say too much exercise sends the scales the wrong way, whats your opinion?? Also what is CFF please?

Omg mel you never stop, have you always been into fitness classes or is it new for you? I have seen some people say too much exercise sends the scales the wrong way, whats your opinion?? Also what is CFF please?

@Lou -- Hi!

I used to be many years ago very into fitness. Then I moved to England and had seasonal affective disorder (undiagonosed for two years). I gained about 3 stone was very overweight for the first time in my life at age 33. I already had had one child, but lost lost that weight with little trouble.

Anyway, once I was "fat" I could not motivate myself to work out. I would try periodically. I spent 13 years losing and regaining the same 1 to 2 stones. (I also had another baby and c-section.) I was not getting anywhere near my post first child weight of 9st7 (before first child my normal weight was closer to 9 stone).

Anyway, I did Lighter Life in 2008 and got back down to my 9st7 -- and managed to stay there as long as I was doing three fitness classes a week. However, one class got cancelled, the others got "snowed out" -- I missed a few weeks and stopped going altogether. Then, I started to slowly regain the weight at about 2 pounds a month. So, with time and a couple of big holiday jumps... I had, by the end of 2010, regained over half of what I lost! I knew it was time to do something serious.

So, I found a CDC but I did not care for her, so I found another -- and I really like her. I started out using CD SS for three weeks and then moved up to 810 so I could exercise. After the first couple of weeks, my losses have averaged about 1.6 pounds a week.

To answer your question I do not think the exercise has hurt my losses -- I think it helps me. My BMR without exercise is only about 1350 calories a day. I am only 5'4" and have a medium frame. Plus, I am over 40.

I might lose faster if I stayed on a VLCD, but as I have done one before, my Leptin levels are reduced and it wouldn't work as well as the first time. Plus, I really want to learn how to manage my food and fitness -- what am doing has to be sustainable or I will regain the weight I lose.

So, I have been trying loads of different fitness classes, so that I will have lots of options (contingency management). I am also trying to work on doing home fitness -- using the Wii, equipment I have on hand, walking, etc. I am bad about this -- I keep thinking, "I should be cleaning the..."

CFF is what I call my "fitness friend". She really wants to lose a lot of weight (about 6 stone). She is very tall -- 5'11". Anyway, the "kids" refer to their good friends as BFFs (best friend forever), and this lady LOVES cheese. It is her big weakness. So, as I joke I started saying that she wasn't my BFF but my CFF (cheese fiend friend).

I have been trying to drag CFF to all the classes with me. I am trying to help her find something that will work for her. She needs to work out, as well as, diet. However, she will be having an operation on Wednesday, so it'll be about 6 weeks before she will be able to do much. Maybe some gentle walking in a couple of weeks, and some arm exercises.

But, because of all of our "fitness class testing," she knows that she likes aquafit, fitball, body pump, and pilates. She really disliked Zumba (she is not a dancer). Tomorrow's class will be a first for both of us: Body Conditioning.

Once she is recovered, she'll have some idea of what she wants to do for fitness. She was going to try CD SS, but it was not enough nutrition for her, so she is doing more of a CD 1000. However, she has to go up 1500 calories a day whilst she recovers.

I am hoping to help her get the 6 stones off by her birthday in November. I think that would make it a very happy one for her.

MM

What I did instead of eating...

CFF and I went to our spa day.

We started with a body conditioning class. The usual instructor was out, and the supply did more of a half aerobic/half toning class. It was okay, but not CFF's thing (she does not like aerobics).

We did the sauna and steam rooms, then had our healthy lunch (prawn salad for me and chicken salad for her).

A finally we had our treatments -- CFF had a back, neck and shoulder massage and pedicure and I the massage and a facial.

It was a good day.

Then, it was a few errands and home to help DD with homework and getting dinner sorted.

Tomorrow it'll be double housework and chores. I might take a day off from doing a Fitness class, but I do like the Wednesday pilates.

Nite,

MM

hey i am glad you had a good time at the spa , sounds fantastic :D

hope you have a fab day , I have a day of catching up with housework too .. have a utility room full of clean clothes again that need sorting , some ironing and putting away .. the one job I hate above all others !!!

It looks like the weather is going to be amazing but DD1 has a nasty cold so we wont be going far today .. I hope to go to the gym tonight , i was going to do a class last night but I had done the night shift and didnt get much sleep , but I did do 20 mins of my nordic walking machine before I went to bed and burnt 150 calories so better than nothing :D

hey i am glad you had a good time at the spa , sounds fantastic :D

Thanks. It is new thing at two of our local leisure centres.
For 40 pounds you get
1) a fitness class
2) a powerplates sesssion
3) 1 1/2 hours in the herbal sauna, citrus steam and then salt steam. There are two showers with all kinds of different settings (i.e. tropical rain, drench, refreshing mist, etc.) and then there is chrushed ice to do body scrub after the hot saunas and steams.
4) two 30 min. treatments: I had a facial and neck, back and shoulder massage.
5) a healthy lunch

All that is missing is a hot tub and lap pool. CFF has a hot tub... but I have never been in it!

hope you have a fab day,

You, too. If it is nice out, I may force myself to do some outside work... but I am so far behind on my chores.

I have a day of catching up with housework too .. have a utility room full of clean clothes again that need sorting,

DD's room has tons of clean stuff that needs sorting and organising. Plus, I pulled out all of my trousers to try on and see what fits and what is still too snug.

some ironing

DD tried to sneak out to school in a wrinkled blouse because the one that was ironed had long sleeves! I promised to get them ALL ironed today (I hate ironing).

and putting away .. the one job I hate above all others !!!

I am okay with putting away -- ironing I detest, and dusting makes me ill (I have asthma).

It looks like the weather is going to be amazing but DD1 has a nasty cold so we wont be going far today .. I hope to go to the gym tonight , i was going to do a class last night but I had done the night shift and didnt get much sleep , but I did do 20 mins of my nordic walking machine before I went to bed and burnt 150 calories so better than nothing :D

It is not just the calories you burn whilst working out -- it is the BMR boost for sometime afterwards. Beck says to start losing again (once you plateau) either cut 200 cals a day, or add 15 to 20 mins. more exercise. So, 20 min a day on your Nordic track should help you lose a bit more.

Hi Katie -- DD is off (in an unwrinkled shirt) lol The dishwasher is loaded and almost ready to run (it should have been run after dinner, but I forgot). Soon, I will wash out the fridge, clean the 1/2 bath, kitchen counters, and kitchen floor -- add to that sorting and putting away the laundry, and I will be "caught up" with the last two days overdue chores. Then, it is the master bedroom, ensuite, LR, Hallway... I could go on and go. UGH!

Of course, I keep thinking of trying another local Zumba class or going to aquafit or fitness pilates this morning. If I do that -- I lose two hours of "work time". So, I probably won't: I might try the Wii Zumba game or do something else here. Then it is just the actual exercise time, not the travel, parking, money, etc.

But, I am not good about working out at home. Never have been. :sigh:

MM

wow you are doing well already , I find it hard to get the housework done wit a 4 yr old and a 1 yr old hanging onto my legs !!!

Wow the day at your leisure centre sounds amazing , and certainly worth £40 ... wish we had one that offers something similar !!

I have just booked myslef onto my first class in years .. pilates . I have never done it , and have terrible balance so it may be funny .. but I am looking forward to it and am glad I have found a class that is late enough for me to do when hubby is home from work :D really looking forward to it and hope it helps my saggy bits to tone a bit !!!

@Katie,

If the class doesn't suit be sure to try another -- I have been to several different pilates classes in this area and they are so different. And, my balance, flexibility and pathetic upper body strength gets better with each class.

As my children are nearly 8 years apart in age -- I never had two LOs at one time). However, I could not get much done when my DD was little, so I used to pay a sitter once a week so I could clean! I tried hiring a cleaner, but I did not like the job she did. However, my German neighbour adored DD, so I paid her for 6 hours of excellent child care what I paid the cleaner for 3 hours of poor cleaning, and cleaned my own house. Then, I paid her to do my ironing (she would even sew missing button back on). Gee, I miss Gertrud.

DS is still in bed! UGH! I think I am going to make him clean out my car today. I hardly ever make him do anything -- he is so spolied. He is doing well in his Uni courses, but he told me last night that the math class is so easy and there is no homework. Just a test every Tuesday night. Sooo... he can clean the cars. It is so much work to make him work, but I am going to do it. I'll give him until 10 a.m. and then he has to get up eat and do my car.

MM

hi mel,that spa day sound lovely,and for £40,is really good .i must start thinking of some rewards for myself. i hope your son did a good job cleaning your car,my 2 kids dont mind washing the car,but it always ends up in a water-fight ,then wet clothes,shoes etc everywhere,and normally the little one in tears!
the sunshine is so nice,think im going to plant up some containers tommorrow for the patio,just some pansies,but should cheer it up a bit.
have a good day mel.x

Hey Mel,

Just checking to say 'hi'! Hope you are having a very productive chore day, i'm drowning in housework after my trip away but just taking one thing at a time, just back from the shops, 2 appts now then kids pick up then cleaning living room and making evening meal (easy spag bol) haven't even looked at the laundry yet!
Have a great day
xx

Hi Ruby and Lelly --

I actually ironed some (but in the little TV room upstairs, which is a bright room with the sun streaming in -- so it was good). Then, I dusted and cleaned the little room as it needed it.

I just had my son clean the interior of my car and the van. I am about to go and take the car through the car wash, before I pick up DD from cheerleading. Then, it'll be back home for dinner prep and more laundry.

And, I'd better put clean sheets on my bed. DH hates when he goes up to go to bed and then has to make it!

MM

What I am (and will be) doing instead of just eating today...

24/03/11

The sun is out -- and it makes me feel soooo cheerful! It was so warm yesterday that I dug out my cropped jeans and wore them (and I could get them on and they weren't even tight, and they were quite snug the last time I wore them -- October in Spain, I think). So, yay for looser clothes.

I am off to "America" today (that is what we call the big Air Force Base at RAF Lakenheath). If you did not have to drive on the other side of the road, you would think you were in the States.

CFF (my friend) is in the big hospital there, she had her op yesterday and it went well -- so she is fine, but going to stay an extra night because she lives about 50 miles away from there (by me).

So, I thought I'd drive over -- visit the big shops, have lunch out (810), see CFF (briefly) and then head home in time to take DD and her BFF to gymnastics. Then, it'll be make family dinner, get dressed and go out the Wives' Function. It is Crystal Bingo -- the best attended event of the year.

So, most housework delayed -- again!!!
However, I am learning to deal with the guilt. hee hee

And, I WILL have to work very hard on Friday to make up for lost time.

No planned exercise today and there was none yesterday either. Two dog walks, though. However, my calves seem tight (crampy), so I am thinking that it might be okay to give them a little rest.

Especially, if I want to go to that Friday morning Zumba.

MM

Last edited:
Morning Mel,

Happy Sunny Thursday!! Enjoy your very busy day today, great news on the crop trousers hun, that's fab, really helps to show you that you are doing the right thing and its working!

THink i might have to get out in the sun today, housework can wait!

xx

Morning Mel, Happy Sunny Saturday to you! hope all is good with you.
Glad your friend's op went well, hope she is recovering ok.

How was your Friday, did you get to Zumba? I am really struggling with doing the exercise, i know Beck tells me its essential and i want to 'want' to do it but don't seem to be able to gearmyself up...any tips??
Enjoy your weekend hun
xxx

Back