Moonwatcher's Primal/Calorie Counting Adventure!

Here to subscribe.

My thoughts are with you - can't begin to imagine what you must be feeling right now. :(

It is good that you are focusing on turning your own life around and I wish you the best of luck with your journey - I'll also be pinching some of your dinner ideas, they sound so good!

Good that you are adapting back to calorie counting so well and not feeling hungry. It really is admirable of you to eat the cheese on my behalf ;)

Everything sounds incredibly tasty.

Due to my commitments beyond my control (read: my mother) I am breaking my whole30 early and starting reintroductions. After those will be starting back on TDEE deficit calories. Think I might redo my TDEE as well and maybe have a slightly more conservative calorie target.

and I LOVE your avatar!!!!

Oh hi ;)

Afternoon MW : )

Hi Cactus - sorry I missed your post this afternoon. Was logged in, but fell asleep on the sofa!

Here to subscribe.

My thoughts are with you - can't begin to imagine what you must be feeling right now. :(

It is good that you are focusing on turning your own life around and I wish you the best of luck with your journey - I'll also be pinching some of your dinner ideas, they sound so good!

Hi and welcome. It was a total shock, but we are getting through it. Tonight's dinner was a lot less inspired! Will report details in a while.

Good that you are adapting back to calorie counting so well and not feeling hungry. It really is admirable of you to eat the cheese on my behalf ;)

Everything sounds incredibly tasty.

Due to my commitments beyond my control (read: my mother) I am breaking my whole30 early and starting reintroductions. After those will be starting back on TDEE deficit calories. Think I might redo my TDEE as well and maybe have a slightly more conservative calorie target.

Just posted to your diary about it Atomic. I shall bravely continue my assault on the cheese shelf for you. It is a tough job, but someone has to do it!

and I LOVE your avatar!!!!

Oh hi ;)

Hi and welcome aboard. It's not a self portrait... Well not quite!

Thursday 16th January

Breakfast two gf corn crispbread with peanut butter and jam, plus one piece of gf toast with cream cheese and honey (309 cals)

Went to Drs this morning and got some anti-biotics for this chest infection. Came home and did OH's tax return - ugh -but at least it is done now.

Lunch - late, at 3.00 pm - gf onion bagel, toasted, with sweet chilli Philadelphia cheese and ham, cherry tomatoes, an apple (422 cals)

Had planned lemon chilli turkey stir fry for the evening, but promptly fell asleep on the sofa - first good sleep for several days - and didn't wake up until OH came home from work - very late. He is having so much trouble with them basically behaving like ********* and piling on the work, because of their continual **** ups. I don't think I have ever seen him so stressed, which although I am totally on his side, I could do without at the moment tbh. Anyway, by the time I woke up properly and he had explained everything it was even later, so the stir fry gave way to...

Dinner - a gf bacon roll with brown sauce and a 60g bag of cheese and onion crisps which OH bought in with him, followed by a small banana, drizzle of chocolate sauce, and some toasted coconut flakes (791 cals)

Drinks - milk in vanilla chai and earl grey teas (70 cals) and a small glass of cider (154 cals) water

Far too many bread products really, and not particularly healthy, but was just too shattered to think about anything else, At least I managed a couple of pieces of fruit in there!

This bread-fest was within my calories anyway at 1746/1750.

Last edited:
Afternoon MW, sticking to your calorie limit is the most important thing imo, so well done : )

Afternoon MW, sticking to your calorie limit is the most important thing imo, so well done : )

Thanks Cactus. Yes I think the odd day here and there is no problem. That's how life is after all, and things are pretty complicated in my life at the moment, so as long as I can stick to calories I'm Ok with it.

I've just had homemade chilli tonight for dinner and no idea how to calcucalorie it!

I've just had homemade chilli tonight for dinner and no idea how to calcucalorie it!

Do you use My Fitness Pal or SparkPeople? I just enter each ingredient in separately, but it can be a bit of a pain sometimes when there are a lot of ingredients. Worth it though for home made chilli!

Food for Friday 17th January

Breakfast - gf crunchy nut cornflakes and milk (186 cals)

During the morning - a murray mint (23 cals), half a hot cross bun with two teaspoons butter (168 cals) six chocolate coated coffee beans (50 cals)

Lunch - I made a butternut squash and yellow split pea soup with ginger, lime and desiccated coconut. This was gorgeous. (285 cals)

Dinner - turkey stir fry with mange tout, baby sweetcorn, onion, red pepper, ginger, garlic and lettuce, with a creamy lemon and chilli sauce (lemon juice, chilli flakes, set yogurt and cornflour plus a teaspoon of cream each) spiced mushroom rice. For pudding we had a 'no batter' version of toffee banana fritters - cooked banana slices tossed in some toasted sesame seeds and topped with a teaspoon of golden syrup. Not as good as the real thing, but the flavour was good,and a lot less calories. Total dinner calories 722.

In the evening - another eight coffee beans (call it 65 cals)

Drinks - milk in earl grey teas (80 cals) one coffee with cream (95 cals), water and one strawberry actimel (75 cals) - not that keen on them, but hoping it will help counteract the anti-biotics by putting back some of the 'good bacteria')

Total for the day 1749/1750!

Sounds like you are doing great. Is the app behaving yet so we get pictures???

The soup does sounds great. Putting actual coconut in things is something I have very much got into doing the whole30. The think the texture and the slight richness makes a big difference.

Hi MW, sorry to hear about your brother.

Loving your food! Might have to take some notes haha.

Your soup sounds lovely. I will have to try that :) x

Sounds like you are doing great. Is the app behaving yet so we get pictures???

The soup does sounds great. Putting actual coconut in things is something I have very much got into doing the whole30. The think the texture and the slight richness makes a big difference.

It was one of the nicest soups I have made. I think it would also work with sweet potato or swede instead of the butternut squash. You're right about the coconut Atomic. I would normally use coconut milk or cream, but didn't have either yesterday. I think the desiccated coconut worked better though. It thickened up straight away and was much tastier than other methods of thickening. I haven't been taking any more photos as I'm still having problems uploading through the app. I suppose I can Bluetooth them from my phone to my kindle and then upload, but haven't really thought about it any more this week.

Saturday 18th January.

A weird day today - first thing: weigh in. Amazed to have lost 3.2 lbs!

Quite surprised initially, as I am on 1750 calories, but then I had a think about it, and it does make sense from the point of view of the metabolism reset, as it is a good chunk of the extra pounds I gained over Christmas and the New Year. Over all my years of dieting, whatever I gained over Christmas (usually between 4 and 7 lbs) would take weeks and weeks to shift - often well into Feb/Mar. Other people I knew who weren't serial dieters would put on a similar amount, but then lose it quickly and easily,by just 'cutting down' for a few weeks.

So it seems to follow that if your metabolism is functioning normally and not messed up by long term on/off dieting, then what you put on quickly during the pig-out of Christmas, comes off quite quickly once you rein in the eating a bit. I can't see another logical reason for losing that much in one week, whilst on more calories than I would have been on in the past.

I am sure it will slow right down next week though!

My OH and brother and sister emptied my brother's flat today. I was forbidden to go (!) as it was a very dusty job and my chest is still reacting badly to dust and cold air. Instead I tackled the sellotaping of the living room rug ritual! Whatever possessed me to buy a short pile, mainly black rug? The cat's main reason for living is to lie on it and mess it up as much as she can. The vacuum cleaner can't cope with it and the best way to get it really tidy looking is the old sellotape round the hand trick. I spent a pleasant hour and a half on my knees cleaning it up, with old detective programmes on in the background!

OH bought back some of my brother's stuff for me to have, and some photos to go through, so I spent a nostalgic few hours going through that and remembering times past. Then he came back again with two boxes full of DVDs and CDs, so we spent another session going through those. About five of the DVDs were still in their plastic wrapping, which I found really sad, as he hadn't even had a chance to watch them.

The whole day left me out of sorts for cooking, so the bacon rolls made an appearance again in the evening.

Breakfast - 100g Onken live set yogurt, mixed with an Activia 0% peach yogurt (I don't usually like any low fat yogurts as I find they taste really fake, but OH got these by mistake, so mixing it with the natural yogurt seems a way of using them up.) I added 10g of toasted coconut and a teaspoon of dark brown sugar and had a very tasty bowlful for 227 cals, plus a strawberry Actimel for 75 cals.

Lunch - 2 gf corn crispbread, six Mrs Crimbles cheese crackers, 1oz cream cheese, 1oz stilton with cranberries, half an ounce each of smoked cheddar and blue cambazola (481 cals)

Dinner - 2 gf brown ciabatta rolls, 4 rashers unsmoked bacon, 1oz smoked cheddar, tbspn brown sauce, a conference pear (540 cals)

Snack - one twirl finger (115 cals)

Drinks - milk in earl grey teas (40 cals), ) a small (ish - 75ml) sherry (not my normal tipple, but quite enjoyed it! 87 cals) a small glass of toffee apple cider (106 cals) and a rum liqueur floater coffee (194 cals)

Total 1865/1750. 115 calories over. The rum coffee did it, but the rum came back from my brother's and when we both still lived at home with our parents the first drink after breakfast on Christmas Day was always a rum coffee, so it seemed a fitting toast to him this evening and more important than a few extra calories.

Sounds like a really emotional day yesterday so not surprised you didn't feel up to cooking. Still very much in the ballpark calorie wise so I wouldn't worry.

Brilliant news on the loss, not only because a 3lb loss is always brilliant news, but like you said it does look like it might be the difference of the metabolism reset. Encouraging stuff.

I am still enviously eyeing the screen every time you mention cheese. How many days is it til Feburary????

p.s I have the same cat hair problem with our cushions. I don't know what possessed me to get mohair cushions when my cats refuse to sleep on anything that isn't a lap or a cushion. Our household is possibly solely responsible for selotape still being in business - we get through so much daily just to makes clothes presentable for leaving the house. And I still reckon we are often about 20% cat when we arrive for work due to the hair we didn't manage to get rid of!

Back