Mouth ulcers - anyone got a remedy?

ellenwillbeskinny

I need chocolate now!!!
I suffer from very painful and uncomfortable mouth ulcers that just will not heal. I have them for over a month now. I went to the health shop and was advised a b complex supplement and licorice which I am taking. All the pharmacist gives me is a mouthwash that just numbs the problem for a while. Has anyone got any ideas on how to get rid of these ulcers for good? Thanks.

I get mouth ulcers quite alot and use Bongela cool it gets rid of them after a couple of days.

Might be worth asking the doctor why you get recurring ulcers. I get them because im run down and immune system needs a boost.

Hope that helps x

I have Crohns and get mouth ulcers quite often and have tried loads of things. The latest was Bonjela Complete Plus and to be honest it was a waste of almost £5 - lots of bad reviews for it especially on Amazon - which I did not see until I had bought it.
The most effective things I have used is Garlic - crush a clove and put it on the ulcer - will make you really wince at first but it does work. The reason I try other things is because I think - one day something will work without all the pain!!!!!!

I have Crohns and get mouth ulcers quite often and have tried loads of things. The latest was Bonjela Complete Plus and to be honest it was a waste of almost £5 - lots of bad reviews for it especially on Amazon - which I did not see until I had bought it.
The most effective things I have used is Garlic - crush a clove and put it on the ulcer - will make you really wince at first but it does work. The reason I try other things is because I think - one day something will work without all the pain!!!!!!

Me tooooooo - my record no. of mouth ulcers was about 25!

I used to gargle salty water as well. Cordosyl helped as well I find but you have to make sure it you do it about 10 mins or so after your brush your teeth.

xxx

Wow that is some ulcers - I never get that many usually between 2 and 5.
Will try Cordosyl - something I have not heard of - thank you.

Wow that is some ulcers - I never get that many usually between 2 and 5.
Will try Cordosyl - something I have not heard of - thank you.

Yea, it was a one off but still horrific.

Make sure you get the minty one with the greeny-blue label, the red 'original' one is horrid.

And to the OP, if they get worse, or don't go away, get yourself to the docs. It's likely that you're just a bit tired/run down/stressed, but it's best just to check, in case you're deficient in anything.

Kirsty x

Just been to a small Boots and it is 3 for 2 but they only had one bottle so will get some tomorrow in town - thanks for the advice re the minty one.

Hi Kindle and Kirsta, thanks for the comments. I will try the garlic and the corsodyl, I will try anything at this stage. I went to the health shop and they recommended a vitamin B complex supplement which I am taking, don't know how long before it begins to help though. Mouth ulcers are really horrid, aren't they? 25 ulcers must be hell!

I get mouth ulcers and I started taking L-lycine tablets two a day. They are a vitamin tablet and they also good for keeping coldsores at bay!! You can get them in boots or any Heath food shop

Thanks Giggy, I will think about the vitamins. I take b complex at the moment but it hasn't helped yet. How long were you taking the l lysine before the mouth ulcers went?

If you've still got them hun, I'd go to the doctors. Like I said before, it's unlikely to be anything sinister but better to find out what's causing them so you can treat them.

I don't absorb vitamin b12 so have to have quarterly injections and I think that's quite common (not just people with an IBD) so it might be the same sort of issue? I'm not a doctor though so don't take they as gospel, just a thought :) x

I suffer from mouth ulcers as well, when I get them I floss twice a day and take folic acid suppliments, this not only gives you a boost, but also helps your body absorb your other suppliments

Thanks for the info huns! I got the L lysine yesterday and have begun taking it. I also got the Corsodyl mouthwash but haven't tried it yet.

Kirsta commiserations on the new ulcer, they are literally a pain, aren't they? I have read that you are prone to them if you are anaemic as well. I was severely anaemic in 2008 and was on iron injections for a very long time. I will go to the GP and have a blood test to check for anemia again. My GP is so laid back he is almost horizontal so he isn't great for suggesting things.

Back