MOVICOL

Judy

hi i saw everyone praising movicol and with my toilet issues thought i would try it.
cost me £8.20 for 20 sachets from the chemist but omg its vile!
is there diff types or something? i asked the woman if there was flavours she said no but this makes me gag!!:jelous:

Hello my love - I'm with you, it is pretty vile and I believe there is just the one type. Saying that it will do the trick though.

Movicol is one way to get things moving - I personally prefer Ducolax perles (just the one mind) and use them in conjunction with pysillium husks.

I must admit I needed it once (post surgery, too much codiene on board!!!) and, like you, it made me gag too... ONLY way I could drink it was making it more dilute than it said (I know, more of it to drink but it was easier that way as the consistency wasn't so gloopy!) and added orange squash..

I know we cant have squash but I keep seeing people talking about water flavourings - maybe add some of that instead?

Movicol is only to be used as a short term remedy, as it it so extreme and is usually only advised for really bad impaction or constipation. Otherwise it will severely impare your colon. Best to stick to dulcolax, as it is a bit more gentle on the stomach! Other than that then psyllium husks added to shakes really help.

Getting you moving!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you tried the CD FIBRE 89 added to your shakes. It is tasteless and helps to keep you moving.

my cdc told me to try slimatee, a kind of herbal tea from holland & barratt, tastes good costs about £2.50 for 20 tea bags.
word of warning tho, u have to have one at night time then next day it works, and boy does it work! the first time i had one i woke with stomach cramps and could hardly get off the loo most of the morning, since then ive tried it twice and i was fine with it and it worked a treat.. just a thought as u dont like the tastes of the other :D

Mandy

Slimatee sounds good but can you tell me if it affects the Cambridge Diet. Are you allowed to take it or does it knock you out of ketosis?

Each to their own concerning laxatives! The main aim ultimately is to not get constipated in the first place, therefore use psyllium husks.
As it happens, i dont like them, so i use Movicol. You can add water flavourings to it. It is important to add the correct amount to the powder as that amount of water becomes the 'active' ingredient. Movicol DOESNT impare the colon in ANY way, as it encourages a 'natural' bowel movement by rehydrating the stool. All the powder does is act as a carrier to get the water to the stool, where it sinks in. The bowel then recognises that it needs to get rid of it, and a normal bowel movement occurs. Yes, it can be used for impaction, but there are millions of people all over the world who use it on a daily basis to prevent constipation occuring in the first place. It's used in a lot of nursing homes, etc, for people who take a lot of medication, thus causing constipation.
As far as i am aware, it is the ONLY 'medicinal' (ie, not a herbal additive like PH)laxative that works by rehydrating the stool. ALL others STIMULATE the bowel, and can ENCOURAGE a lazy bowel. There is only one other that works in a similar way, and thats DULCOEASE. This is a stool softener.
I used to be a MOVICOL rep, so i am a little biased i guess, but it really is a fab product. It's GPs favourite laxative!
When i take it, i just down the drink quickly, no fuss. Just like taking a soluable paracetamol.

I occasionally use dulcolax - but watch when you take them! (Or should I say "it" as I shudder to think what would happen if you took more than one!) It seems to take about 9 or 10 hours to work - so DON'T take it about 7pm as I did - ended up dashing from bed to the loo at about 5am (strange time to have a poo, I think you'll agree!)

I occasionally use dulcolax - but watch when you take them! (Or should I say "it" as I shudder to think what would happen if you took more than one!) It seems to take about 9 or 10 hours to work - so DON'T take it about 7pm as I did - ended up dashing from bed to the loo at about 5am (strange time to have a poo, I think you'll agree!)

I had to giggle at that:giggle:, i've made the same mistake. Infact the first time i took them it didn't work (or so i thought?) & took another lot..... :doh: OMG!!! My tummy was making such weird noises & you can imagine what the effect was?....lol

Hi there i have been having the same problems as posted here. I have been reading about psyllium husks and have been out and bought a jar. Could anyone tell me how to use them, how much you put in and how often please.
Thank you:)

Hi there i have been having the same problems as posted here. I have been reading about psyllium husks and have been out and bought a jar. Could anyone tell me how to use them, how much you put in and how often please.
Thank you:)

hi toothfairy.. did you learn how to use your husks? I'm having PROBLEMS at the moment, I hope yours are sorted out. I'm out to get some dulcolax this am. so will look out for the husks.

hi i got it aswell and i didnt like it to begin with but am used to it now, but there is another drink called fybogel, you can get it in orange or lemon.

Judy you can add movicol to your shakes!!

My son has to have them sometimes and he get's them in milk.

Back