MullerLight Yoghurts are not...

10st10lbs

Gold Member
...suitable for vegetarians.

(or anyone who doesn't eat un-halal meat)

They contain gelatine, which I am really :mad: about. I haven't had any for a while now, but continued to eat them after I found out they had gelatine in, because they really hit the spot and are free - what more could you ask for?

I would definitely buy them again and definitely eat them again, unless someone created even better tasting yoghurts in the exact same flavours, but I just thought I should share this with you guys. I think I may write a letter to Mr Muller, asking him to please make them gelatine-free. They are lovely treats that deserve to be munched upon by one and all!

xxx

Mullers have ALWAYS contained gelatine, that's what gives them that decadent texture. I would think the majority of vegetarians would know that there's gelatine in tons of yogurts, as would practising Muslims? It seems to shock meat eaters more than it does non meat eaters, for some reason!? lol

Mullers have ALWAYS contained gelatine, that's what gives them that decadent texture. I would think the majority of vegetarians would know that there's gelatine in tons of yogurts, as would practising Muslims? It seems to shock meat eaters more than it does non meat eaters, for some reason!? lol

I didn't know this at all, neither did anyone else I know personally, both Muslims and non Muslims.

It shocks meat eaters because we don't expect there to be gelatine in things that aren't, well, jelly-ish. With things like Haribo and even jelly crystals, alternatives have been developed that are suitable for anyone who has halal dietary requirements. I personally never put the texture down to any specific ingredient in my head, so I hold my hands up to probable ignorance on my part.

As a side note - Muller Corners and Muller Fruit Yoghurts have pectin in them as a 'veggie subsititute' to gelatine, so they're safe. My source for this is a quick search on Google - anyone who knows any different, please correct me as I don't want to be sharing the wrong information.

Yep, mullers are a no go for us veggies. But there are veggie friendly, syn free yoghurts that imho taste even better. The activia FF one (exc strawberry) are okay, as are shape zero (exc strawberry), onken FF and most of the supermarket versions of mullerlight. I've never really understood the love affair with mullers even when I could eat them, they always seemed really runny and had an aftertaste.

The strawberry FF activia is 0 syn. The Shape zeros are all free or 0syn...
Danone Activia Fat Free Strawberry Yogurt, Multipack 100g[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
extraeasy.gif
0 Syn on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original Free
green.gif
Green Free
[/FONT]

Danone Shape Fat Free Zero % Yogurt, all varieties 100g[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

extraeasy.gif
0 Syn on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original Free
green.gif
Green Free
[/FONT]
[/FONT]​

[/FONT]​

Yep, mullers are a no go for us veggies. But there are veggie friendly, syn free yoghurts that imho taste even better. The activia FF one (exc strawberry) are okay, as are shape zero (exc strawberry), onken FF and most of the supermarket versions of mullerlight. I've never really understood the love affair with mullers even when I could eat them, they always seemed really runny and had an aftertaste.

i agree! i find them way to runny
Activia get my vote anyday :D

xx

Yeah, The Fat-Free Activia yoghurts are now my yoghurt of choice; not only because they're 5 for £1 in Sainsbury's, but also because the Vanilla flavour really tastes like Haagen Daaz ice cream xxx

Danone Activia Fat Free Strawberry Yogurt, Multipack 100g[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

extraeasy.gif
0 Syn on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original Free
green.gif
Green Free
[/FONT]

Danone Shape Fat Free Zero % Yogurt, all varieties 100g[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

extraeasy.gif
0 Syn on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original Free
green.gif
Green Free
[/FONT]
[/FONT]​

[/FONT]

They are syn free but contain gelatin hun

I like the sainsburys vanilla version of muller. The texture took me by surprise and the 'mouthfeel' is more like a pudding than a yogurt, which is probably why I like.
I have no idea whether it contains gelatine though.

Like Circes I have found much nicer (and cheaper!) alternatives to Mullers. Shape Zero are probably my favourite. M&S's Count On us versions of Mullers are veggie and really nice :)

Veggies beware of strawberry yogurts as these usually contain cochineal. So even if the rest of a range of yogurts are veggie friendly a lot of strawberry ones aren't because of using the beetles for their dye.

It is quite a while since I bought any Muller Lights, so I haven't got one in the fridge that I can look at, but surely it says on the tub that it has gelatine in it? So how is it that people don't know this?

I thought I'd put my 2pence worth in...... I'm with 10 10 on this I'm not a veggie but am a muslim and I had no idea yogs had gelatine in them.....

Danone Activia Fat Free Strawberry Yogurt, Multipack 100g

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
extraeasy.gif
0 Syn on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original Free
green.gif
Green Free
[/FONT]

Danone Shape Fat Free Zero % Yogurt, all varieties 100g

extraeasy.gif
0 Syn on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original Free
green.gif
Green Free
[/FONT]

[/FONT]​

[/FONT]

Shrimpy, what's the difference between 0 syns and 'free' ??? Is it because of the different plans?

Would it not be the case that if gelatin is to be avoided it would be common sense to check all items ingredients prior to buying. I'm not a vegetarian or muslim but my sister was a vegetarian and thats what she used to do! Personally I detest honey........now that is something that gets into sooooooo many things, so I check labels...problem solved.

It is quite a while since I bought any Muller Lights, so I haven't got one in the fridge that I can look at, but surely it says on the tub that it has gelatine in it? So how is it that people don't know this?

Because people don't assume there could be gelatine in dairy products.

A general response:-

Thanks to everyone who has posted about alternative yoghurts with no gelatine, I will be sure to try them out some time.

However, I feel I am getting a bit bashed for this thread? I only created it to raise awareness of the topic, not really to be told I should know this already. Out of however many people have come across this thread, even if I made one other person aware of this fact, I am glad.

I don't go around checking the ingredients on absolutely everything, but don't think that the people who do check everything are wrong in doing so. I'd be a better person if I checked the contents of what I ate before I bought it, but isn't that why we're all on this forum? We all made mistakes with things we ate, repeated mistakes in some cases, that got us to such weights that we shouldn't be at. I'm sure we've all looked at a Subway and thought 'wow, that's really healthy!' only to start SW and realise that no, it isn't actually really healthy. In that same way, I bought MullerLight yoghurts, not thinking they'd contain gelatine because I'm stupid, dumb, thick, lack common sense, whatever you think, and then realised they weren't suitable for vegetarians.

All I wanted to do was raise awareness, so I did.

I have no idea the difference between zero syns and free, i guess it's to do with the different plans though...

Pickle-I got confused I thought Circes said that the strawberry ones weren't syn free, sorry!

Last edited:
Because people don't assume there could be gelatine in dairy products.

A general response:-

Thanks to everyone who has posted about alternative yoghurts with no gelatine, I will be sure to try them out some time.

However, I feel I am getting a bit bashed for this thread? I only created it to raise awareness of the topic, not really to be told I should know this already. Out of however many people have come across this thread, even if I made one other person aware of this fact, I am glad.

I don't go around checking the ingredients on absolutely everything, but don't think that the people who do check everything are wrong in doing so. I'd be a better person if I checked the contents of what I ate before I bought it, but isn't that why we're all on this forum? We all made mistakes with things we ate, repeated mistakes in some cases, that got us to such weights that we shouldn't be at. I'm sure we've all looked at a Subway and thought 'wow, that's really healthy!' only to start SW and realise that no, it isn't actually really healthy. In that same way, I bought MullerLight yoghurts, not thinking they'd contain gelatine because I'm stupid, dumb, thick, lack common sense, whatever you think, and then realised they weren't suitable for vegetarians.

All I wanted to do was raise awareness, so I did.

I am very sorry if you think I was bashing you; it wasn't my intention. I don't think you are stupid or any of the other things you have called yourself.

Personally I never buy a manufactured product without reading the ingredients list, but maybe it is me that is odd.

Back