Mushy pea curry

I have just made this for the first time and i LOVE it not just like...love
My OH says its one of his fav curries now!
It took me a while to try this as the thought of mushy peas in a curry freaked me out a lot, but I am so glad I tried it I can see it becoming a regular meal at home

Vicky xxx

Princess Stevie, what a great idea about the coconut muller. Sometimes the people on here really amaze me with their ingenuity. You are one of them. You get my Flabulous Award of the week. Well done. :)

Wow, just read your idea of adding the chicken and coconut muller. Fantasic idea, deffinately try that soon. Thanku princess stevie :)

Made this for the first time today. Next time I think I'll add quorn pieces & blitz up the beans and peas before adding it as I found the texture a bit odd! Tasted great though :)

Last edited:
Have just had this for tea and pleased to say was pleasantly surprised! It sounded and looked revolting but actually really enjoyed it. Even hubby was impressed!

Could someone please tell me exactly what kind of curry powder to you, i tried making it and it really did not turn out right at all, i was actually sick after tasting it, do u blend the beans, mushy peas and tomatoes first?

Could someone please tell me exactly what kind of curry powder to you, i tried making it and it really did not turn out right at all, i was actually sick after tasting it, do u blend the beans, mushy peas and tomatoes first?

Sorry to sound stupid, but just 'normal' curry powder. I think I got mine from morrisons, their own make. It's a black container with a brown label with a 'C' on it - I believe they come in different strengths, mild, medium, hot, etc.

I don't blend any of the ingredients, and never have. I know a few people blitz the whole thing up afterwards, but to me it doesn't sound appertising at all. My tomatoes and mushy peas go straight in from the tin, and are left that way.

I have used Indian curry powder (madras usually) but I found a chinese curry powder mix at the good food show this year and last time I made it I used that and it was gorgeous. I cook it and then blend the whole lot and leave until I'm ready to use (it will last a few days in the fridge). I then fry chicken and onions and add the blended mix but always add some water to thin it out as it is too thick and lumpy otherwise - it's really quite smooth with some added water or stock. Add some peas and simmer for a while and it turns out perfectly...... I think when it comes to the spices and curry powder you can just experiment with what you like, especially with Indian spices - I just bang the same spices in as if I was making a normal curry. :)

This sounds interesting...im deffo going to give this a try!!

Haven't had this in a while. Think I'll make some this week to have with noodles or Slimming World chips :drool:

Hi, I'm pretty new to this. My consultant says not to have the mushy pea curry with any carbs as it's a starchy meal already, best to have some meat and super free. What's your take on it? Sometimes get myself a little confused by it all.

Made this last night. Added a tin of chickpea dahl from Asda. Used the new curry oxos (2). Made the bean version. May try the tomato version too. Loved it anyway and hubby tucked in after initially asking where was the meat!!

Is curry powder (like mcdonnells curry powder) syn free?

Also do you all blitz it or leave it chunky?

Think i'll try this tomorrow :)

Mmm I was looking for something different to try for dinner later, I bought extra mushy peas so I think I'll try the bean version but rinse the sauce off first as I find the bean juice too sweet when used in other dishes...

I might try adding some coconut muller if I can bear to use it in a dish rather than just eating it on its own . I've used it to make a chicken korma and it was yummy so I bet it'll taste fab in this ....

Oh I was going to try the recipe with the mushy peas and tinned tomatos but now don't know if I should try this one instead. Decisions, decisions :p

Not had this in months, decided to have it for tea tonight with SW chips :D

I made mushy pea curry today. I used

A tin of bakes beans
A tin of tomatoes
2 tins of mushy peas
I pot mrs Shahs curry powder
Pack of chopped onions
2 chicken stock cubes

I put everything in the blender and whizzed it up and then straight into freezer containers for future use.

It isn't cooked before hand and I will add it to chicken or veg when I need a quick meal.

Mel x

Hi All

I have made Mushy Pea curry a few times now and it it really brill, even my fussy 18 yr old son wopps it down his neck !

I made it slightly different to people here, the ingredients make only the curry sauce the rest of the curry you make from what ever you wish to add to it which for me is usually chicken,onion and maybe mushrooms. The last time I made this I swapped the mushy peas for tinned chic peas (last night) and was probably even nicer !

So heres what I do

(Sauce)

2 tins chopped toms (cheapo supermarket specials is fine )
1 Tin Baked Beans (drain and rinse if you dont fancy the bean juice in the curry)
2 Tins mushy peas or equivalent quantity in Chik Peas
1 chopped onion.
1 teaspoon of low cal sweetener
2 garlic cloves
Mild curry powder or hot if you fancy a kick - about 2 table spoons worth but more if a little weak. (experiment)

Put all this in big pot with about 150ml/200ml (1/2 a mug lol ) of water and bring to boil then simmer for say 1/2 to 3/4 hr to cook the spices which is important.
You may need to add more water during the cooking.

When cooked I blend this mix in the pot with one of those cheap "wizzers" to make into a nice curry sauce, if too gloopy add a tad more water.

This is now the curry sauce base so put to on side.

Stuff To Add To Curry Sauce Mix

1 Large Onion
2 Average size chicken breasts
Handful Of Mushrooms if wanted

Chop up onion to the size you like ( I like chunky)
Chop up the chicken breast again to the size you like
Slice up mushrooms.

Stir fry the ingredients in wok with fry light till onions see thru and chicken cooked , to help this I add a drop of water into the wok.

Serve with a good helping of the sauce base with a pile of boiled rice.

Its just so nice and free as a bird !!

Back