My 50 Day Challenge

Still doing great - impressive. Almost time to think about the next challenge :party0049: With all the energy you are getting from this I am sure you will do great.

Good luck to everyone weighing in tomorrow :cross:

well in 33 days you have lost a stone - well done mate

i was just wondering are you male or female?

no by safer i meant you would lose more - my mum went to weight watchers before and one thing the woman told her which i agree with is that food is by far the most important thing when it comes to weight loss; eating healthier and exercise are great - but the quantity of calories is the most important thing. for example if you do a half hour run you will burn off about 3-400 calories and this is the same as eating a mars bar.

i think you should be eating only 1500 cal/day

when someone is larger like nearly 300lb the weight will come off much faster then someone not as large - that is why some large people on biggest loser etc lose 10lb - stone in one week

Hello again, thankyou for filling in the blanks! I am male and 24 years old :)

While I agree that diet is the most critical aspect of weight loss, I would argue that the issue is not the quantity of calories consumed over a period of time, but rather, the overall energy deficit.

Weight loss (whether adipose or lean tissue) is achieved through an energy deficit - the consumption of less calories than required to maintain current body weight.

Therefore, it seems prescribing a certain calorie consumption without reference to energy use is somewhat analogous to suggesting that someone purchases 10L of petrol a week, without reference to how far they may drive - it's only half the story.

These are complex issues, and I'm probably not the best person to discuss them! So I tried to e-mail you a study I read this morning, think you may find it interesting. It looks at the effects of energy deficits through diet, diet and cardio, and diet and resistance training on weight loss in men. However, I couldn't add an attachment, so the link is below!

Hope you have a super day :)

http://jap.physiology.org/content/81/6/2445.full

Sneaking this in on a low battery, hope your doing ok! and have a good Sunday

be back in later.:)

HI Lift
I was reading calorie info, it states that if you lower your calorie intake by more than 800 your body goes into famin mode.

First you lose water, then a little fat and your body wont let you lose anymore.
endocrine glands ick in and slow your metabolism

not sure what your intake is but id have a google around hun, it always amazes me what i find when researching

GL with the washing
Nite :)

Hi LFM! Thanks for your post - there's lot of interesting stuff around, a lot of it is conflicting though and I seem to spend more time confused than enlightened!

Today I have been reading about the accuracy of the Harris Benedict formula, silly biologists dont seem to able to agree on much :(

My intake averages around 2300kcal per day, with an energy deficit of around 1000kcal, so I'm definately not starving. I am interested in the science around VLCD's (in particular the evidence) - something to look into next week. Don't think I'd ever do one though, looks far too difficult

My day is below!

Day 35 (Crikey!)
Weight - 268lbs (Second time below 270.. what will tomorrow bring).
Diet - Protein: 245g, Carbs: 162g, Fat: 58g, Calories: 2150
Exercise: Cycling (Afternoon-ish) - 30mins, 12.5km, 248kcal

Evening-ish - 20mins, 7.4km, 154kcal

wow, you certainly know your stuff!!! I'm impressed :) and LFM too, wish I had more time to research interesting facts like that!

Good luck for tomorrow, won't be long now :eek:

Yay, fantastic Lift!!!! :D..really well done, you deserve that loss after all your hard work this week :)

Looks like you've gone back to bed, don't 'see' you on the boards anywhere! :D

Congratulations again, and now onto week 6 for both of us :eek:

Yea!! Lift welldone you must be very chuffed.

I watched a documentary January from researchin Nov2010, were they have nailed down the "are we meat or veg eaters" question.

All done with MRIs and tests.

It turns out we are prodominately Meat eaters and for long term energy and less hunger pains we need to eat meat.

They located the chemical produced in the brain driven by stomach signals, that seperates it from other food groups.

I love the documentarys! VLCD? i missed that one is it dangerouse lol

Thanks Rose and LFM :) I was very happy yesterday, but then had to go do things and didnt get home till 1am - so was most displeased by the end of the day!!

Glad to hear we are meat eaters... I couldn't imagine giving it up! I love red meat, but have mostly been living off chicken the last 37days! All those poor dead chickens :( in my belly!

Can't decide about the VLCD thing, read a list of complaints that some people have, was pretty bad - hairloss, cardiac disturbances.. gout!? Doesn't sound like fun, will ask my doctor maybe - but then, there's no guarantee he is an expert on it :S

Edit - forgot to post yesterday!

Day 36
Weight: 268.5
Diet - P:244.4, C:208.5, F:63.4, Calories: 2382.2
Exercise: Soooo busy :(

i agree about the energy deficit lift, but i just think you are making more work for yourself consuming 2500cal/day - i think you would have much greater results if you consumed less

but whatever works for you - as long as the weight is going down you are heading in the right direction

AHa! VLCD
Very Low Calorie Diet.... theres me thinking its to do with some type of disection:eek::rolleyes:
Keepup the good work lift.

You have inspired me to look up the P,C,F,Cal for my son as im sure hes burning off over 1000 a day in exercise alone and eating only 2000 or more but in not good nutrients.

Thanks guys :D

I have been feeling a bit off lately, and have not been doing particularly well. Hopefully today will be a lot better, here are the last two days:

Day 37
Weight: 268.5
Diet-P:141.4, C: 183.2, F: 76.7, Calories: 1988.7
Exercise: None

Day 38
Weight - 267
Diet-P: 144.8, C: 156, F: 103, Calories: 2130.2
Exercise: None
Hi Lift, you're doing great:cool:

Hi Lift

don't feel off, you have done and will continue to do fantastically well :D it's probably all the self denial over 6 weeks, when I sts on monday, I felt pretty low, and even had a horrible thought of, what's the use, maybe I could have a treat. all that hard work, feeling fed up etc etc ..but sensibly decided against it, it would have been the rocky road to ruin for me if I had given in...so self denial equals willpower Lift, and you and I are doing it, 6 weeks in...(and everyone else too, who are conquering this) :):)

chin up, stay strong laddie :)

For what it is worth; I'm still impressed. Just the fact that you keep considering both excersice, diet and writting in here - that means that you are still hanging in there. And we all need a few days break once in a while.
Good luck with the weekend.

Back