My Atkins Diary.... here we go!

Oh dear - agree too hot is difficult and doesnt help sleep:eek: talking of sleep - i have been doing a mindfulness course for last 5 weeks including daily 20 min meditation and im definitely lseeping better...:)

Wow. that sounds like a fab course to do. I could do with a few mindfulness classes! ;).. I think it's stuff we already know, we just need reminding and practice!.. I remember a good mantra from years ago when shopping/at restaurants: "Do I need it? No, I don't, Shall I buy it? No, I won't!"

I've just got a new mindfulness app on my iphone called headspace. It's free for the initial programme which is 10 mins a day for 10 days - enjoying it so far:)

Mantra's always useful - hubby chants Ommmm whenever i head off to do my practice though! :D

ok: Week 3: Day 1. Awake again at 2.30am.. didn't fall asleep again, so got up at 5 and tidied then got organised for a relief day at school. They really drove me hard today. I was covering all seven periods plus a lunchtime duty, so didn't get more than 10 minutes to eat lunch and drink something! CRAY ZEEE!. Plus after school tutoring until 5pm! phew... Still, I'm saving for my holiday to LA in April, so every duty day counts :) *Seriously hoping I don't get a call tomorrow morning though! Lol.. could do with the sleep in!

**OH! at the home of my tutoring students the Mum offered me a piece of home made cake!. I told her "ah, that looks fab but I'm low carbing .. (really didn't want the kids to know as they go to the school I teach at! LOL ) anyway, she said "Oh, just a tiny taste, it's so good and you really deserve it after your day'.. WAH!.. so i couldn't hurt her feelings and said "ok, I'd love a piece'… (wait for it ;) ).. so she put a piece out on a plate with my tea… and disappeared to her office..I was wracking my brains as to what to do!.. Thinking 'Damn it, I haven't lost weight just eat it,,, and 'nooo you've done so well for so long, don't ruin it now'…. anyway, I couldn't hurt their feelings, so as the tutoring started, I told the kids it looked amazing so asked them for glad wrap/ or kitchen towel so I could take it home and enjoy it with my cup of tea watching the telly later tonight. I was afraid they'd say "Noo, have another bit!!" but it worked… PHEW! got out of that one. My sister, the lucky duck, has a lovely slice of vanilla sponge, with jam and buttercream icing for tea tonight!..

Breakfast: NONE! Bad me.. couldn't face eating so early in the morning and thought I'd have time in school. WRONG!
Lunch: 1 can of tuna and a dollop of mayonnaise with spring onions and spinach.. (smushed into the bowl!)
Afternoon tea at tutoring: Vanilla Sleepytime tea (carry these on me all the time now)
Dinner: Crustless quiche and salad
Snack: As I'm writing this and dinner is cooking I'm eating half an avocado with a boiled egg and mayo with a splash of vinegar!
starving
Water: 2 x 500ml bottles (no flavoring)…

*No artificial anything today.

Frame of mind.. KNACKERED but still focused.

Week 3 Day 2:

Had a wonderful impromptu family reunion today. I made a big Atkins friendly feast *dad bought bread for the guests and hot dog buns for the bbq. I made a huge salad with spring onions, grilled haloumi, mixed salad leaves, cherry tomatoes, sliced boiled egg, cucumber, and slivered toasted almonds, along with tzatziki, pickled gherkins, korean pickled radish, a huge bowl of fresh tail on shrimp/prawns, grilled salmon, horseradish mayonnaise, mixed olives with feta, good quality sausages and 100% beef burgers.. it was a delight to all who indulged. We followed for the guests with mini muffins (and low carb chocolate for the Atkins'ers'.). It was a wonderful day.. I did have a few sips of wine to celebrate but went back to water and Pepsi Max (couldn't resist, I needed something with flavour!).

Breakfast: 1/2 avocado, canned mackerel mixed with mayonnaise.
Lunch: salad (without the tomatoes) 8 shrimp/prawns, 1 sausage, 1 burger, a dollop of horseradish mayonnaise to dip the shrimps into and olives with feta.
Snack: Vanilla atkins shake *not ready made the powdered stuff, 2 chocolate bars Simply Less 2 grams of carbs each
Dinner: Didn't eat dinner.. too full up from lunch.
Alcohol: small glass of wine (about four good sips)
Water: 1 liter. Not enough in this heat.
Exercise: Swimming and messing about in the pool.

I know I was going completely SF this week but today was a surprise visit from long lost family so I did my best :) totally resisted the hot french bread with olive oil/butter. .that the guests were devouring!..

*Weighed myself today. GAINED 2 pounds.. WHY?.. i know I shouldn't be weighing in.. but I couldn't help. it I wanted to see it coming OFF.. got a shock when it was going UP!…

I'm looking back at my menus and the only thing I can put my finger on is not enough water and the very FEW sugar free items I've had.. it doesn't make sense..

but I will NOT be deterred. .adn WILL keep going..

Day three week three.. coming up..

Hun all I can suggest is upping the water and trying not to weigh daily, the numbers can really go up and down a lot during the week, honest!

The BBQ sounds fab though and you did really well, proud of ya!

Hello guys.

Trying not to weigh in.. so I"ve decided to put the scale in the top of my wardrobe! ha..
Doing ok. I"m still very motivated to keep going I just get fed up that my parents have both lost over a stone and a half and I'm struggling. I think it's because this is the first time they've done Atkins… anyway.

I'm definitely in ketosis (ketostix are great!)..
Breakfast today: boiled egg
Lunch: roasted pork with tablespoon of mayo, parmesan cheese, olives and feta (chucked in stuff left over from the BBQ) and some salad leaves.
Dinner: Out for dinner to the pub :) Chicken Caesar salad and a pint of diet coke
Water: 500mls so far

Keeping going!.. trying to refrain from Frankenfoods! :) and upping the water. I"ve found delicious sparkling mineral water with lemon. Lovely!

Last edited:
The water sounds lovely, or try a squirt of lime juice mmm :)

About the weight loss and your parents, yes it can slow down if you have done it before, BUT only at the beginning, so you might not always see the big dramatic losses that other people might have - but their weight loss will even out to 1-2lbs a week like yours will.

This is not a race, my love, so my advice is don't look down at the scales but keep your eyes firmly on the horizon in the distance, because that's where you want your focus to be - a lesson I found quite hard to learn, I kick myself that if I had stuck at it when I first started four years ago, then I could be at goal now - but hey that's life, we arrive at these realisations in our own sweet time! :D

Excellent advice Susie. Thank you for the very kind words of support. I really appreciate this. People don't usually seem to want to comment on the 'struggling' 'gaining' posts ;) … so it's great that you have. I didn't really think of it like that.. just to keep going.. as it's a life style change rather than just a weight loss diet…. THe good thing is that I AM just going to keep going until things start to work properly.. experiment with recipes and just 'keep at it' until it's all second nature.

I was invited out for dinner tonight (So much stress at school today).. I could have SO easily ordered a pint of cider.. and man did I need one.. but ordered a diet coke!.. then the amazing pub food.. all with shoestring fries, or mashed potatoes (Irish Pub).. pies, battered fish, sticky ribs! lol I ordered a lovely Caesar salad with roasted chicken, parmesan, bacon - holding the croutons.. YUM!.. I felt great that I hadn't caved!.. my friend offered me his M&Ms too.. but nope.. I refrained.. Quite proud of myself. Considering the stress levels today I could have downed two pints of cider and a plate of fries.. but i feel great. Not bloated.. or guilt ridden.. so that's a good thing

Day 4 over and done with

*My parents have lost about 2-3 pounds a week so far so they're on a steady loss (they've been doing it four weeks longer than I have ;) ) so they're happy with this lifestyle change. Their frame of mind is fab.. they don't miss the carbs at all and know they will stick with it until they lose another 3 stone each.. even then I'm sure they'll not be eating carbs as they did before. Very sensible.. wish I was more like them!

Thank you! lol.. I tell you though.. that persuasive voice in my head has some bloody good arguments when I'm sitting in the pub!.. I just keep fighting her off ;)

Day5 of Week 3

Here we go!

Week 3: Day Five

Crazy hectic day with hormonal teens with incredible attitude! sheesh! Anyway, I was far too busy to think about being hungry or even being able to stop for food but managed to squeeze a 'brunch' in-between lessons!

Breakfast: One slice of ham as we rushed out of the door.
Lunch: Pork rinds with Boursin cheese. *best i could do in the rush to get to school today
Dinner: Boiled polish sausages with cabbage, onion, cauliflower and stock, served with mustard. YUM
Dessert: Going for the sugar free jelly later.. and a dollop of cream :) Friday night and we have a long weekend. So why not!

Frame of mind: still motivated to keep going.. lifestyle change rather than a diet to lose weight then go back to unhealthy eating ways again…

DIDN"T WEIGH MYSELF TODAY! :)

Still super tired, but looking forward to lying in tomorrow :)

Thatta girl - with such a positive attitude you are going to nail this! :D

Have a wonderful lie in - you so deserve it! x

Ah, thank you Susie. Tried to have a lie in! ha.. woke up 15 minutes after my alarm would normally go off.. Typical eh ;) but it was nice to lie there and doze for a while :)… As for the diet, I'm trying to just keep going, despite the weight gain and the staying the same.. until I reach the goal I want… It DOES help a lot that my parents are so motivated and really don't discuss food (it's a non issue for them, so the frame of mind is positive, they're not obsessing about what they can't have and just eat what they can have) so it's a good environment to be in :)

Had a great day today. Out with family for lunch and yet another success in will power. Family had fish, calamari and chips! I chose a tandoori chicken salad and had them remove the tomatoes, cucumber and mango slices. Delicious. I DID have some of the fried fish as there was so much of it.. and it pained me.. but I removed the batter (had to LICK MY FINGERS :) and ate the meaty Hoki fish inside.. so that was yummy.

Breakfast: Bacon, egg with bubble and squeak (left over veg from last night polish sausage soup)
Lunch: Tandoori chicken salad with a coriander and lime dressing, sugar snap pea sprouts and a diet coke. coffee with one equal
Dinner: cheese and dips
Water: 1 liter plus a pint of diet coke

Weigh in day tomorrow!.. eeeekk…. dreading it. I don't feel any different this week. I just HOPE I'm under the 213 I got down to at the end of week… I've got five weeks until I head to LA.. praying I can get down to 200 by then, although I shouldn't pressure myself.. but it would be nice :)

Check back in tomorrow… will go and scroll the other diaries.

Weigh in day.. surprised :)..

211 (so I lost the two pounds I'd gained and two more, technically 4 pounds :) but i"m putting a 2 pounds loss on my chart :) I'll be happy with 2-3 pounds a week. With all of this effort there has to be some weight coming off!!.. no sugar, carbs, and drastically cutting down on portions and quantities etc.. it should work!

Marvellous. It's coming off.. I still need to increase the water intake but it's working. Two family days this long holiday weekend.. so I'm cooking up a storm… Roast lamb with heaps of vegetables today and a big bbq tomorrow.. should be yummy :)

Back