My attempt at Low Carb!

skinnybride2013

Silver Member
Hi all, I used to be a SW fan - did it years ago to loose 2 stone then tried it again last year after putting a stone back on and just couldn't get back into it.

A friend told me about Low Carb and (as username suggests) I am getting married in 2013 and so want to be at my target weight a year in advance and maintain.

I have been following a low carb diet since 3rd Jan and have lost 10 pounds already so def working (think body is in shock) I was a carb-aholic before so this is all new and would love any suggestions.....

Using this first post for my updates/goals;

First Goal - engagement party 4/2/12 - hit 133 lbs - Achieved :clap::clap:
Second Goal - weekend away 14/4/12 - lose any gain and hit 133 lbs
Third Goal - wedding dress shopping 31/5/12 - lose any gain and hit 133
Final Goal - maintain weight at 129 +/- 2 lbs until wedding May 2013

Last edited:
Hi can't offer any suggestions really but would just like to say hi I'm getting married in July so determined to get thin too. good luck look forward to hearing your amazing progress to skinny ness x

Hi and welcome. Glad you are enjoying low carb- well done so far. It's a bit quiet over here - feel free to come over to the atkins board - all low carbers welcome:)

Thanks all, plans going well..hoping to set a date over the next few months then I have a real goal :)

I will check out the Atkins threads.

Week three is nearly over (Tuesday is weigh day) mini target is our engagement party on the 4th

Hi all, another pound off this week :)

Quick question tho - after the first month of detox/diet I will be allowing myself a couple of cups of coffee/tea - what's the views on caffeine and milk?

Caffeine no problem. Suggest you avoid milk - cream is ok though

Not "bad" just has higher carbs due to the lactose - useful to cut out all the unnecessary sugar

Ok thanks :) Have read some of your diary...soooo impressed!

Which books do you recommend for long term diet? Healthy low carb?

I think this is the best for me, now lost 11lbs since 3/1/12 only 7 to target :)

Recommend you read gary taubes - why we get fat and what to do about it. I think that once you understand some of the principles then it's much easier to make it a lifestyle change.
You may also want to read marksdailyapple.com - although this is primal not low carb per se, many principles are the same and it's all about lifestyle
Finally just choose some low carb recipe books that you like the look of or go searching on the web for recipes - the best bit about low carb is you can find a version of almost anything and many LCers are complete foodies - life and food is so much more interesting now:D

Have fun:D

Any low carb cookbooks anyone can recommend?

The Harcombe Diet cookbook is pretty good, although the carb content varies as she's more liberal than, say, Atkins. You'll get more responses if you ask in the Atkins forum though, it's pretty busy there right now.

Thanks all, going to try the Gary Taubes first...just recovering from first weekend off diet and not feeling great for it. Back in low carb and water

What are your top tips for giving weight loss a boost?

Best for weight loss:
Yet more water
Clean and green - avoid the sf goodies
Make sure you are getting enough veg especially green - on atkins 12-15g of 20 should be from veg

Hello, I'm new and have gatecrashed your diary :giggle: hope you don't mind. Low carb dieting is the way to go for me, tho I'm diabetic and find that Atkins doesn't work for me, so I'm going to give the Harcombe diet a go and have ordered the diet book and another low carb cookbook from Amazon today. Have got the Gary Taubes book as it was recommended on another site and it does all make perfect sense :):)

I've seen the 5 day phase 1 part of the Harcombe diet where dieters can lose up to 17lb in those first 5 days, tho the average is 5-10, but that is fine by me as I am a yo-yo dieter, 50 this year, so not expecting huge losses, but like the plan from what I've seen so far. If you google harcombe diet, you get loads of hits and the lady herself has a website where you can get loads of info from.

Just a thought........xx

Hi Dawnejoy - welcome! Not really a diary more one place for me to ask the lovely people questions.

17lbs - that's a crazy amount to loose but if it works it works. I have Gary Taubes to read this weekend but am still just low carbing myself.

Good luck :)

Back