My baby has down syndrome

You have had a shock and need time to adjust your thoughts.

Children with downs syndrome are so loving, trusting and caring. As others have said above they can go on to live very happy lives and give so much to the people who care for them.

Lindax

I'm sorry that you're so upset about your baby being diagnosed as Downs Syndrome hun. Take each day as it comes, there's lots of help and advice out there (and here on Minimins) and I'm sure that once your brain has digested some of those details you'll be able to learn to accept it a bit more easily.

This has nothing to do with your news but the year before I had my daughter I miscarried twins at 6 and 8 weeks, never found out the reason why as it was too early on in the pregnancy. I subsequently became pregnant with Amy and was offered the various tests but refused because I didn't want to risk another MC. My husband and I had decided that even if there was something 'wrong' with the baby we'd still love it just as much as if it was 'normal'.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I'm sure you will love your baby as soon as you set eyes on him or her, you just need time to digest as much information as possible.

Please take care and keep in touch with us hun.

Hugs

Hi bigmama2littlemama,

I want to tell you about my job to try and keep your spirits up.

I work in a special needs school, in a unit for downs children. Every day is an absolute pleasure to go to work, because i find it so rewarding. I'm sure being a Mum will be much more rewarding.

It's true that downs are very loving and caring people, alwaays wanting to please others. They smile all the time. Because they don't know any different -this is life to them and they LOVE IT!

In the school we teach the children to be independent, which pays off well. Many children i have worked with have left school, gone to college and have good jobs, but most importantly, happy lives.

53824cacthjn9nu.gif

i`m so sorry
big hugs to you all
kaz xxx

I have a nephew who has Downs Syndrome and he has been the most precious thing ever to enter our family. He is funny, witty, wicked and very very charming lol. Someone told us when he was born that only the special families are chosen to have special children so I guess you are one of the special chosen ones.

It won't be easy, there will be tough times ahead but don't ever believe that your baby will be any different from others, yours may take just that little extra time to reach its targets.

I know how you feel when you are told though, as I have an autistic son. You feel like the child you had has been taken away from you. It will take time but I know you will be strong and enjoy your baby. Having these gorgeous special little babies make you appreciate every little thing in life.

Sorry this has been so long but I just wanted you to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Be strong though the down times, fight for your little one, dont take any s**t(sorry) and enjoy every moment.

Hope you are ok. Let us know how the baby gets on.

Love

Scarlet
xxxxxx

Hi there - sorry to hear your news :(

but, as others have said....I believe that God only gives us things that we can deal with....you have been given a very special baby because you will be the very special mum to care for them :)

lotsa love to you and your baby

Debz x

Hey there! I'm really sorry to hear about your news.. but a lot of people are right on here. It's not the end of the world and though it seems like it is, things WILL get better from here.. I can relate to your sad feelings your going through right now as we got the news some several years ago that our now 6 year old little princess has Cerebral Palsy.. she can't walk, talk, eat, or use the bathroom on her own.. let alone most other things without 24 hour care and assistance.. but ya know what, she's SOOO FULL OF LIFE AND SUNSHINE.. and we wouldn't trade her for the world!!!! To us she's just PERFECT and contines to grow and grow everday and is SOOO full of love it just shines out of her!!! Be enouraged, your baby will be fine.. life will be rough at times for you all.. but you'll find out by taking one step at a time, it's no so bad and you all can have a VERY HAPPY life together. Just make up your mind your going to do whatever it takes to get through it and always look on the bright side, cause there ALWAYS is a bright side.. and make life as good as possible for the little sweetie pie.. and things will get better. You'll see. Hugs to you and your family.

What a precious gift you have been given, though I can understand all the possibilities are racing round your head. Hopefully you will be able to talk to a professional in Downs and then you can decide what you wish to do hun.

I am sending you big hugs xx

Hi,
I've worked a lot in education and 'special needs'. I really would strongly advise you to take up any offers of support from various organisations. There's dedicated support networks for Downs syndrome - they'll give you advice, information, support and put you in touch with parents who have similar experiences and who are local. they're invaluable at the various stages - nursery, school etc etc.
If you want more info PM me and I'll pass on some names / numbers - or if you just want to chat.
Good luck.

Hi sorry to read of your sad news. Some of the most delightful children that i have met have been downs. They are so loving and happy.
My cousin many years ago had downs and she lived a long and very happy life. In time you will come to terms with it. Big hug coming your way.

Can't really add to what everyone has said, just wanted to send you hugs.

Hi honey, my thoughts are with you at this tough time. We as a family have had a tough time with pregnancy as my son was stillborn after pre eclampsia and then my sister had to take the heart breaking decision to be induced and let her daughter die after half hour due to very serious heart problems that there was very little chance with.

Only you can decide what is right for you to do, and no one will judge you on your decision but we will all be here for the support you need. Sarahxx.

i think ur baby will enrich ur life and make u very happy. i think u wouldnt notice the shortcomings and i dont think u would love ur baby any less. i do believe the downs people i have met to be amazing and unbelievably loving people (young and old). however, i also believe in ghosts but not in religion. i think the bible is pure fabrication. everything i say is nothing other than my opinion and the same goes for everyone else.

i think its great that everyone can give u such positive feedback but i noticed that u mentioned in your other post about the doctor mentioning maybe not keeping the baby. you havent replied here (i can understand u have better things to be doing right now!) but felt that maybe u r considering ur options.

whatever u decide to do i feel sure people will support you here. in ur shoes, a lot of people feel the childs quality of life will be limited (i am NOT saying this is true) and some people may feel worried about their own quality of life having a child who requires more care in some respects. some people dont carry thru with a preganancy for a million reasons and at the end of the day, this is YOUR life.

just wanted to say that because....all miniminers are so encouraging and supportive but maybe u will decide u dont want to carry on and in which case...i wouldnt want u to feel excluded from minis for fear that all the supporters would judge u harshly.

everyone here just wants you to know that ur child would be a wonderful addition to ur life and wouldnt mean that things would be awful for you. that doesnt mean its something u have to do.

i think the best thing u can do is really talk this over with some professionals so u would know more about what to expect. look for what support is around directly accessable for you and really think about what u want to do.

i dont want to start a big arguement about pro-life issues as its a very personal issue and no one can really say anyone elses opinions are wrong. i just wanted you to know that i think people will be there for you either way. no one here or anywhere else has the right to judge u.

I hope you are ok and that u are happy with what u do. xxxx

Back