My chips are still in the oven!!!

RUTHYJ357

Gold Member
OMG, SYN FREE CHIPS. ive done these b4 well about a year ago, and i am cooking them as we speak and have been in the oven for ages and are still white.....they look anaemic:cry:! i remember when i used to cook them and they were lovely and crispy. What have i done wrong?!
Im so fed up and hungry:argh: haha

Well ive just eaten them and they were worth the wait! i sprinkled a little garlic salt on them before they went in the oven and wow what a difference.
Just the long wait grr
So is there a quicker way to cook these blighters......i did par-boil them first

Ruthy

Hi Ruthy,
I agree the SW chips are lovely. One of my sons now asks me to make them.
I parboli tham and spray baking sheet with Frylight - usually they take about 30 mins on 200 degrees electric or maybe a bit higher?
I love them with a burger I have made from the SW mags or with eggs and mushy peas or an omelette.
Irene

I either par boil them and then spray them in fry light and stick them in the top of the oven on the highest temp for 25-35 mins. Or if you want them quicker stick them in the microwave for 10 mins instead of par boiling then spray them with fry light and then stick them in the oven top temp for around 20 mins.

I got fed up with waiting for so long, in the end i chipped my potatoes, and then put them in the microwave for 10 minutes before putting them in the oven for 20 minutes on 200 Degrees C.
Much quicker!!

It is, Im not on SW but LOVE the chips, I sprinkle paprika black pepper and garlic salt on mine before cooking, and I par boil for at least 8 mins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had a big plate full tonight, OMG lush!!!

Im gonna have them for tea!!!! Ive been `toying` with the idea for a few days, but i thot it was too much bother and took too long. Would southern fried seasoning be syn free???

have a good day everyone
x

Mmmmmm syn free chips, I'll be making them tomorrow now, I've got a bit of a craving! I love the idea of garlic salt too- I assume it's found with the normal salt in the supermarket?

I found the garlic salt by the herbs in tesco. Also another fab way of par boiling the chips before is to add a stock cube to the water when they are boiling i totally forgot i used to do that(either veg,beef,chicken).....and the stock cube doesnt count as a syn because you do not actually consume it all .....at the most it would be 1/2 a syn! it makes it very tasty

Hey everyone!!!:)

Can antbody tell me what's fry light please??

i've been hearing about it for ages but I haven't got a clue what it is. D'oh!!!:doh:

Hi
Frylight is an oil spray - found in supermarkets (however my local Asda hasn't had it in for ages - got it at Tesco) with sunflower oils etc.
Hardly any calories and very healthy. I think there is about 3 or 4 diferent ones including olive oil and a salad type dressing.
Spray on the chips, 'fry' your eggs in it etc.
Irene

I did these last night and apart from some getting too overcooked and too crispy - they were lovely - I think using the different seasonings is a great idea

Hi
Frylight is an oil spray - found in supermarkets (however my local Asda hasn't had it in for ages - got it at Tesco) with sunflower oils etc.
Hardly any calories and very healthy. I think there is about 3 or 4 diferent ones including olive oil and a salad type dressing.
Spray on the chips, 'fry' your eggs in it etc.
Irene

Thanks for the explanation!!!!:)

Yummy! Sin Free Chips

Just had a generous serving of sin free chips with quorn sausages! OMG..they were delicious. Sprinkled pepper, rock salt and garlic salt before popping them in the oven...mmmmm...yummy!:)

Garlic salt is just delish on them.....only thing is im wanting them everyday ....but im being good because if i have them all a time it wont be a treat and if i see them as a treat i will not binge on chippy chips............reverse psychology is great haha

Hi, I was just wondering how long to par boil/microwave the chips beforehand? I shoved them straight in the oven last time and they were not nice!

The end result should still be the same whether you par boil or not. It just means that they take longer to cook in the oven if you don't boil them first.
I usually par boil as don't want to wait too long for them!
Just boil them until they are soft, but not too soft that they break and crumble...then its just a case of browning them in the oven so whack them in a very hot oven and just check them til they are to your liking.

Sam
xxx

ooh I will try the stock cube. I made chips yesterday and they were fab, turned the oven up to 180 (fan assisted) and parboiled the tats and cooked them in frylight, when I can spare the HE B, I use olive oil. and they turn out delish.

Back