My diet, my way

I know exactly how you are feeling. I have moments of toying with SW but I've never had good results on it. My portion sizes and carb feasts at every meal go out of control and I've always struggled to see how 100 calories of mullerlight is 'free' food.

On the same token, put me on calorie counting and I will eat and drink 1,400 calories of chocolate, crisps, takeaways and wine.. no healthy food in sight!

That's what's led me to create my own rules (though I acknowledge I've failed them this weekend but I'm ready to go for tomorrow).

You'll find what works best for you :) xx
Bingo! My problems exactly - how can avocado be synned and super noodles be free? Crazy!

Ok so I caved and calorie counted for today. I was so sure I was way over. But it came to 1517, which given that I've done over 600 cals of exercise seems fine to me :)

Maybe a few days of calorie counting and SW will help me get my head round this...

A total calorie count of 1500 odd minus 600 sounds pretty good to me. I started on slimming world but just couldn't stop myself eating a ton of rice and pasta I'd quite happily eat either with no sauce in sight. If your weight is staying the same but you're doing lots of exercise you're probably building muscle but melting fat at the same time.

I think I may end up down the bucket route of pasta....I can also eat tonnes. But I'm going to try and limit the occasions I have pasta as I'm normally more controlled around potatoes and brown rice...

I'm just going to play it by ear for a bit. I really want to get to a size 14 by Christmas which will be tough as I'm currently an 18.

A total calorie count of 1500 odd minus 600 sounds pretty good to me. I started on slimming world but just couldn't stop myself eating a ton of rice and pasta I'd quite happily eat either with no sauce in sight. If your weight is staying the same but you're doing lots of exercise you're probably building muscle but melting fat at the same time.
I'm not building muscle at the moment - it's hard to build muscle on a calorie deficit, but I'm definitely storing water as my muscles ache (in a nice, been worked way)

Haha we're the same size in trousers, I'm really hoping to be a size 12 by next June as I'm getting married then.
I'll join you in that goal (not getting married! But size 12 for next summer!)

I've got a beach holiday at Christmas so I want to go fast til then, afterwards I can take a more scenic route. Although I don't seem to be going particularly fast!

Well done for starting in good time. Wish I'd got my head in the right place earlier...

Okay so I gave myself a good talking to last night as I had a small handful of almonds and felt guilty.

I don't actually want to do SW - I'm determined to make viable changes to my lifestyle rather than follow someone else's plan so I'm going back to my rules, redrafting with what I've learned over the last few days, and carrying on with them :)

Interestingly, one thing to note is my few days on vlcd has really reset my appetite - I'm finding I'm full on much less. I may try and do something similar on a regular basis to keep it in check :)

No-diet rules v2

On a daily basis:
  1. Drink 2-3 litres water every day.
  2. Eat plants and fish for health. Meat and dairy no more than once a day.
  3. Eat real food (say no to sugar and junk)
  4. Eat slowly - savour the food.
  5. Limit wheat based products to one portion a day.
  6. Choose appropriate portion sizes e.g. 15 nuts etc
  7. 30 mins exercise daily (1 rest day per week)
  8. Refuel after working out (protein shake or soya latte, and a banana)
  9. Record all food eaten
  10. Weigh in daily
Other:
  • Embrace fasting when it feels right. It's okay to skip breakfast or have a vlc day.
  • Don't worry if you're not perfect. 80% is fine - get straight back on track, note your trigger foods and avoid.
  • Report weight weekly

I've kept them simple and daily so I can give myself a score out of 10 every day until the habits are so ingrained I do them automatically! Fingers crossed it works!

Thank you for your support razorbill and cynical girl. Let's all keep plugging along and eventually we will succeed!

My new weight loss journal arrived today. It's a slimming world one so has space for syns but I've used that space to tick off my rules! The only one I didn't achieve today was the post exercise refuel. It was legs day on 21 day fix but I didn't have a protein shake afterwards.

So 9/10 today on my rules, which isn't bad...

IMG_5015.JPG

The water is in half litres so 2.5 litres today :)

Oh dear, ate 2 giant cookies.... my daughters were baking today. So hard to resist!

Never mind, tomorrows a new day!

Loving your new diet rules Allotrope, and the fact you're making yourself accountable each day by recording in your new journal and of course on here too. :p I've said it before you've definitely got the exercise down to a T, plus your 80/20 rule gives you that little bit of freedom. We can't be perfect all the time not with invites to bbq's, parties, and meals out etc.

Thank you Lisa-Ann. I've had to decide on fast and tough and potentially achieve a much greater weight loss, or lifestyle changes that mean less weight lost but a chance to make it work in the long term. I've gone for the latter.

I've been watching lots of YouTube at the mo. I'm very inspired by James Smith, a personal trainer from Australia who's v good at cutting to the chase.

He puts priorities for weight loss in this order. He makes it really simple. Ultimately, it's all about those calories! I'm not planning to calorie count but basically keeping it low-ish has to be the priority for weight loss, whether by limiting sweets, portion control or whatever.

IMG_5031.jpg

I think you've made the right choice with the latter. Losing weight too fast and potentially being left with excess skin really scares me. I keep hearing people talk about micros and macros. I'll have to look James Smith up just to see what it's all about xx

A good day here! 8.5 out of 10 (as long as I don't get up at midnight again and start eating homemade cookies....). I fell down a bit on eating slowly - I gave myself half a point as I did at lunchtime but was then piggy at dinner. And I didn't have a protein shake after my run.

V pleased with my run though... 2.15 miles doesn't sound a lot but it was 25 mins non stop which is more than I've done in months :)

Here's my food diary. It's about 1350 cals (which makes up a bit for cookie-gate).

IMG_5034.JPG

Back