My life is as good as an ABBA song!

So yoghurt maker is safely in its new home and will be put to work tomorrow. Chocolate orange muffins are delish, thanks Colette for the inspiration :)
B
L-leftover chicken, mince flan
D-pork tenderloin in mustard sauce w/mushroom & onion sauce

In my excitement to have pork tenderloin I made a huge mistake in preparation - when I unpacked the meat it was quite obviously not very tender but I failed to slice it into thin cuts and pound it out, I did thicker pieces and browned and then let it finish off in the sauce. It was like shoe leather :( The flavour was nice but it was so chewy I had to floss 3 times during dinner, TMI. I'm pretty sure I'm over it for a while :)

Little exercise to speak of, 1km in the morn with dog then it rained proper most of the day and I didn't feel like trekking in the mud just for the sake of it :)

Ooh, am trying a new mayo recipe, it's Delia's almost mayonnaise and so far so good. It's thickening up (hopefully) in the fridge so should be nice on tomorrow's hamburger and/or chicken sand. Or I might just make tartare sauce out of it, we shall see.

Will deffo do the choc orange muffins again, somebody keeps helping themselves to mine too!!

Choc orange arey favourites too yummy yummy, and CG share the new mayo recipie xxx

WI this morning, 1.4lb loss :D And I had lots of tolerateds last week (not that I recommend doing that), mostly involving cocoa. Maybe my body just needed a slight change, a nudge to move the scales more than the stable 1lb per week.

As for the mayo, I think I'll just give up trying to find a good substitute. It's not bad, too eggy for my taste but I'll eat it up with the tater tots that're in the oven right now! If you want to give it a go Sid here's the link: Almost Mayonnaise - Accompaniment - Recipes - from Delia Online
Obviously I used ff fromage frais and not the 8%.

Right, so today is PV
B-same as it ever was (you may ask yourself, am I right, am I wrong?)
L-cauliflower tater tots w/tartare sauce, steamed salmon, tomato-onion salad
D-chicken salad w/various veg

Have just put on yoghurt! I hope I did it right! I mixed 1tbsp live yoghurt with 1 tbsp skimmed milk powder and added that to 1 litre skimmed UHT milk, then poured it into the pots. I really didn't feel like re-reading the entire homemade yoghurt thread, but it seems to me someone said the milk powder wasn't necessary but that it made the yoghurt thicker. Well, we'll see this evening!

I again have work for the weekend, think that makes 3 in a row. But it puts Dukan food on the table so I'm not complaining :)

CheeseGirl said:
WI this morning, 1.4lb loss :D And I had lots of tolerateds last week (not that I recommend doing that), mostly involving cocoa. Maybe my body just needed a slight change, a nudge to move the scales more than the stable 1lb per week.

As for the mayo, I think I'll just give up trying to find a good substitute. It's not bad, too eggy for my taste but I'll eat it up with the tater tots that're in the oven right now! If you want to give it a go Sid here's the link: Almost Mayonnaise - Accompaniment - Recipes - from Delia Online
Obviously I used ff fromage frais and not the 8%.

Right, so today is PV
B-same as it ever was (you may ask yourself, am I right, am I wrong?)
L-cauliflower tater tots w/tartare sauce, steamed salmon, tomato-onion salad
D-chicken salad w/various veg

Have just put on yoghurt! I hope I did it right! I mixed 1tbsp live yoghurt with 1 tbsp skimmed milk powder and added that to 1 litre skimmed UHT milk, then poured it into the pots. I really didn't feel like re-reading the entire homemade yoghurt thread, but it seems to me someone said the milk powder wasn't necessary but that it made the yoghurt thicker. Well, we'll see this evening!

I again have work for the weekend, think that makes 3 in a row. But it puts Dukan food on the table so I'm not complaining :)

CG, great loss and will try your mayo recipie....on with Colettes colslaw at the moment....and what's
Tater tops?????? Have I missef this while away????? Is it on yhe recopie thread? Xxx

Well done CG more poundage lost!! Yay!!

Shame about the mayo not working out, made some last night to put over coleslaw which was really nice.

I make yogurt in a machine, usually takes about 8 hours, I use a pint of milk 4 tbs milk powder and a carton of live yogurt, maybe im using too much live culture in mine? Lets know how yours turned out. Cx

Yoghurt done. My thoughts: the yoghurt itself is very yummy, creamy and not tangy like the store bought stuff. Nice and rich. After 8 or so hours in the machine it was quite runny so I drained it for about 30 minutes, which was really enough because it was starting to turn to cheese. The hardest part was getting it off the handkerchief into the tub after straining it, and the worst part is that the litre of milk ended up giving me just about 400g of yoghurt, so one large tub. I tend to eat 2 400g tubs a day (I know, I'm a yoghurt pig) so it looks as though the yoghurt maker will be plugged in 24/7 :)

Do you have to strain it? could you get more yogurt if you didnt? I don't have to strain my yogurt.

how much milk powder are you using? i put 4 tbs in a pint of milk if your using a litre maybe you should put more in to make it thicker?

Ok, correction. My maker has 7 jars and I emptied out only 6 into the strainer - 1 was hiding :) So at least now I can compare - I just poured off the whey sitting at the top of the last jar and popped it in the fridge so tomorrow I'll see if it really is too runny or if I was hasty in my judgment :)

how much milk powder are you using? i put 4 tbs in a pint of milk if your using a litre maybe you should put more in to make it thicker?

I only used 1 tablespoon for a litre of milk, I was going by the slow cooker yoghurt recipe. Tomorrow I may try adding in a bit more, just don't want to bump up the tolerateds too much as I've still got lots of weight to lose!

I think when i do my next batch im going to use less culture as mine can be a bit tart, it says in the book the longer you leave it the stronger the flavour, first batch was 1 hours as per book but that was too strong, got a good culture with 8 hours but do i really need a whole tub of live culture? Probably not!

Its like a chemistry experiment, how to thicken the yogurt without mucking up the diet?? lol

If you getting only 400g from a litre then that's not much, i reckon if you've got 7 pots try and teaspoon for each pot, see how it goes, 3 tsp - 1 tb, so that'll be 2 and a bit.

So the verdict on the yoghurt is: the pot that was hiding went into the fridge after I tipped out the whey floating on top. This morning it was a bit thicker but still too runny. On the other hand, the rest of it that I'd drained for about 30 min has come out very thick and creamy, it's like full fat sour cream! Actually a bit thicker than I like it so I'll have to experiment until I come up with the right recipe for me.

PP
B-all my old friends
L-baked mustart chick breasts
D-fried tilapia
S-sf jelly, yoghurt

I really need to start working out or something. I think my problem is there's something wrong with my eyes - I just can't see my arse doing any exercise :p

But on the other hand I must pat myself on the back, today I cooked a pot of stew for tomorrow's PV day, made 6 tubs of sf jelly in various flavours and I'm now preparing yoghurt for it's overnight process. Plus I finished some work for a client, took the dog out twice, did a small shop and washed yesterday's dishes. Now that I write it down it doesn't seem like much! No reason I couldn't get 30 minutes of jumping around in there somewhere, I've exercise DVDs galore so only excuse is laziness.

So second yoghurt attempt is this: starter culture - 2 tbs starter at room temp, 2 tbs skimmed milk powder in 1 litre room temp UHT skimmed milk. Will leave in maker overnight (8+ hours). The milk powder does like to lump up though, stirred the bejeezus out of it so hopefully the yoghurt won't be too lumpy.

I love yoghurt very thick (takes me back to greek hols) so i strain through muslin (used milk powder but didnt find it made much difference so stopped) - Cheese just stir some whey back in if you want it a bit runnier

Back