My life is as good as an ABBA song!

If you get a dog think of all the fun you can have dressing it up! My daughter LOVES her little dog!

Attachments

• Neya Aug 11 019.jpg
    Neya Aug 11 019.jpg
    486 KB · Views: 59
I have always had a dog of some sort. As a child we had a dog and then as a married woman we had 2 of them, mostly rescue pups. I know what it means, the responsibility and that. I also know that it means a companion for life, someone who doesn't nag or anything and who will always be with you. I am going to see the new shelter Monday so I'll let you know!

Now as to today: woke up before 3, awful head thing going on. I am usually a good sleeper so this was very annoying. Sleeping on the right side seemed to drain the sinuses but also caused major probs with the sciatic nerve (which I've been dealing with since last December), so made a huge pot of coffee which I have now drunk - well almost, there is still one cup left.

My house is more or less clean if you can believe that. I still need to do something with the fridge, I emptied it but still it needs a major revision!

So, new post. Why is it that you mop the floor and 2 hours later there are crumbs and other crap sticking to your feet? Is it just me? I mean, really. This is something that just makes me flip out!

Also, feeling a bit better. I have such a great feeling about the dog. It's only been these last few years that I've been without one so - I've never had a dog in a flat before. Is that worse? I can picture the situation where the weather is awful and I need to take the dog out since I don't have a garden to just let him out. But I also think that maybe this is a good thing - get me out of the house!

Additional thoughts: now that my home is so clean what the hell am I supposed to do?? I am doing a TEFL qualification course but at the moment that does not entice me whatsoever (plus I had to order a text book). I am so bored! But how wonderful is this life - after being ss for so long I no longer need food to fill my boredom. But I need something, so any thoughts anyone?

Hi CG,

So, you are planning on teaching non-English speakers? Very cool. :girlpower:

I was once upon a time a teacher (in United States -- I taught High School History and Middle School Social Studies). I have often thought about going back to school to get either UK qualifications or something else (like TEFL)... or even something entirely different. However, I the thought of spending more money on my education (when I have a son in Uni) difficult to justify. Plus, my 12 year old DD has special needs -- and although she is doing well -- I still feel that she is a full-time job. :sigh:

The dog will be a good thing, I'm sure. We got the dog for our DD (sort of therapy thing - and she has been a blessing). When the dog was about a year old, I got a job at a local secondary school (term time/leaving for school after my daughter/getting home before her).

The first year I was able to come home at lunch and let her out. However, the second year that was not possible. My next door neighbour (retired and in her 70s) started walking he dog during the day.

She found that she made all kinds of friends along her dog walks, and even though I quit that job two years ago -- she still walks the dog every day at about 10:30! ;)

We jokingly refer to it as a "dog share"! (We bought the dog from her daughter, so she I think she feels kind of related to her. lol):chores016:

You have been very industrious today. I know how you feel about the floors, but my issue is the kitchen counters. I clean them and five minutes later there is food, jam, dishes, etc. all over them (or so it seems). And, in this house the laundry never ends. :argh:

Well, I should get at it...

Mel

Oh yeah, non-English speakers. I love it just for the fact that once, on a long-haul flight between the UK and the US, this woman asked me tons of questions and I really couldn't hear her so well and she said 'are you an English speaking person'? I just loved this and when I arrived I told my sister this story and we laughed until we almost had kittens.

But my point at this time is this: TEFL in these parts of the world is probably still 'cool', people have such a thing with 'native' speakers. But based on the awful menus and other translations I've seen recently I would defo give the native speaker thing a looksie!! Serious, there was a menu where they translated 'pork tenderloin' as 'dolls meat'. I think I may have written something about this in another post and if so then I apologize... :)

So CG,

Are you an American living in the UK?

I got a big kick out of the poor translations in Portugal at a zoo.

My sister has been in Copenhagen improving her Danish for the past month, and she loves to watch American programmes whilst she is there, as they do not dub but subtitle. She said that so often they translate things literally and they make no sense at all!

Mel

Here is me: I am an American living in my native country (Slovakia), where I was born but we left when I was 5 because my dad had issues with the commies :) I lived in the US for most of my life and then I came here, everyone wonders why, hehe, but I really do have lots of family here. Not that I knew about them growing up, but still. My father was a true-blooded American through and through, he was so against his own background. We grew up speaking 2 languages but I only ever learned the one language (English I mean) as far as schooling goes. It makes me a good translator into my mother tongue, which I think of as English. My Slovak is so poor in the written regard, I would never even dare to translate something into Slovak.

Our family was like this: mom and dad communicated in English mostly (I mean years later, at first it was really in Slovak) and we had that spanglish thing going on, you know what I mean? Half English half Slovak, whatever fit the best. Why do you realise how wonderful these things were so far too late?

And here I am, my sister said something to me that almost made me sit down. If genetics are at work, then I have about 15 years of life left in me. Honestly, all of my family have died at a very young age. Why should I spend these last 15 years with someone who makes me miserable?? Viva the dog, and aloha to the bf who is not making me happy!!

Dear CG,

No Kidding -- adiós (as we are speaking Spanglish) -- to bad men.

As far as genetics -- when you lose the weight and take better care of yourself and you should add a lot of time, and improve the quality of your life.

My MIL'S Siblings have all passed away (some very young). She is going strong at 85. WHY? She moved to the U.S. and had a better diet, did not smoke or drink any more than a "special occasion" glass of red wine. She also did not drive everywhere, lived in the country (fresh air), and she tended to walk places (still does). She was an advid gardender, volunteer, etc. Her siblings stayed in Glasgow, Scotland - drank, smoked, ate a high fat low vegetable diet, had little or no fitness, etc. They almost all died of a heart disease type thing.

Mel

You know what cracks me up is that our ancestors lived to a ripe old age and they ate lard and all the stuff we are not supposed to eat now, now we have crap like vegetable fats that they now say are horrible for you and that lard is better!

More or less, whatever you eat is going to be the death of you unless you grow it yourself or raise it yourself. If I had the place I would, but I guess my best bet is to buy some organic food once in a while and hope that whatever else won't kill me!!! :)

Oh, without really knowing what it was all about -- I can only tell you how I deal with one of my sisters who is very difficult.

She tends to treat me (and others) horribly: she says and does dreadful things, etc. She is very bitter and resentful about her life -- and has been this way as long as I can remember. Nothing is ever her fault, and she is always the victim.

However, I know that "I do not own these problems, she does". So, I just let it wash over me. When she has gotten over whatever demon possessed her and starts talking to me again, etc. we just act like it never happened. Neither one of us is in denial, we just realise that "It happened, and we need to move on". I could continually "call her on her sh*t" but that would accomplish nothing -- she has issues. They are hers, I cannot fix her or them -- so, I choose to just let them flow over me and once the storm has passed enjoy the calm with her. She is my sister. If she weren't, we would not have a relationship, but "I am my sister's keeper".

So, unless your sister brings it up and wants to discuss what happened -- if you are over it -- then leave it in the past. I am sure she knows she f*cked up... but it can't be undone, so move on.

Last edited:
Jeez, are you just the (I want to say bee's knees but that is just so OLD), but I've not got any newer saying!!!

I know what you mean, without telling you the whole sordid story you can't really have an honest opinion but what you've said is true, I will take her as my only (she's the only sister) and she's my only one right? I love her like my own arm so there, I've said it. Whatever she does.

Jeez, are you just the (I want to say bee's knees but that is just so OLD), but I've not got any newer saying!!!

LOL, Thanks! One of my father's favourite complements. His other fav is "Best thing since sliced bread". ;)

I am glad if what I had to say helps. There are people that we love -- and we have to decide "if it it's worth it". With her -- I deal.

I love it, you are the bee's knees and you are the best thing since sliced bread (I remember that one too), man are we old!! Dad was the best, he always had the proper saying, he did lots of stuff I can't post here because it's a different language but still, dad was the good dude!
Do you read my fave Irish lady Marian Keyes? We are in the last chance saloon!!

Back