My life is as good as an ABBA song!

Forgive me for my absence

But I've had many issues, mainly health related and just haven't had the strength to write. Had a cancer scare that hasn't actually been completely ruled out yet and an acquaintance of mine has just died of cancer at the age of 41, with 3 children left behind!

My post-CD problems continue, the hair loss is quite alarming but perhaps more annoying than the fact that my hair is falling out in HUGE TUFTS and the fact that I cannot manage to keep up with sweeping it up is the strange thing that where I used to wash my hair every other day and it always looked great, I now wash it and within a few hours it looks so greasy, it's as though I haven't washed it in weeks. It's hideous.

My doctor says this is from the hormonal changes that happen when you lose too much weight too quickly. I suppose that I should be glad I have very thick hair, because the massive hair loss has been happening for about 2 months and the loss is just now becoming apparent - I've a bald spot on the crown of my head and also what looks like a receding hair line. I just hope it stops soon because it is driving me mad.

Other things have not changed in my life, after the bf's brother had a talk with him he seemed to shape up for a while but that didn't last more than a month and I still haven't the willpower to do anything about the situation.

I haven't read anyone's diary yet, will be doing so in the next few days to catch up. Hope you're all ok :)

Hi Cheesegirl,

Illa is pregant and fighting morning sickness and so has not been on the forum much.

MrsPayne212 and I started a co Beck Silver Diary and are posting our ARCS (avantages response cards and thoughts about cognitive behaviourial therapy) in it.

I went back to CD (seriously) and have had a good first week -- I lost 4 pounds and am now back to what I weighed at the end of August. I am 9 pounds from my 2011 low weight -- I'd love to see that before New Years' Eve but it is unlikely. I have my official weigh-in on Tuesday.

I had my own breast cancer scare in 2009 -- the process went on for months (mammos, referrals, ultrasound, a mammatone biopsy, a surgical biopsy -- and conclusion that I had a condition that is not cancer per se, but indicates that I am at a higher risk to have cancer. My mother has had breast cancer. So, I have an annual follow-up and am on an American "tumour registry".

The hair thing is extreme... I have heard of some loss, but I was told that it was because on a VLCD you so not shed, so when you start to refeed you lose what would have, but that it stops fairly quickly. I hope yours does soon.

I wish I could give you some support with the BF, but I am rather hardcore with toxic relastionships. I would walk -- but I am not you.

I hope you are well -- and am glad you are back.

back on track

We'll I've finally got my head sorted out again, after stopping CD in late september I was not able to restart. Then my hair started falling out in gobs and gobs, before it stopped falling out (it took about 3 months) I ended up losing about half my hair. This is just my guess, of course, but I did used to have quite a mane of thick hair and now it's extremely thin and within hours of washing it looks as though I've not washed it in a week.
Anyway, I've switched over to Dukan as there is no way I could do CD again. I've put back on 30lbs of the 70 I lost on CD, but I'm ready to start again and I'm hoping that Dukan won't turn out to be as extreme as CD.
I imagine some of you have hit goal weight since I was last here!

I'm on the last day of attack and finally decided to post in my diary (since I did have it moved here, after all). Attack has been surprisingly easy for me, no headaches or anything like I've read some people can get. Whew!
But now I'm starting to panic a bit, I've become so disorganised these days and I've just spent 2 hours at the shops with a partial list and no clear ideas of what I'll be cooking. Argh! What will typically happen is that half the produce will rot in the fridge - but that's PRE-dukan so maybe, just maybe I might suddenly become uber-organised woman from all the protein I've ingested this week and I may just cook all those veg up into something delish.

But I'll try not to be too disappointed if this doesn't happen straight away :D

Well I did have a bit of inspiration this morning, made sweet muffins. Not bad, nice change from the galette every day!
Will try to cook up food today for most of the week, it is defo dangerous not to have something ready to eat when the urge strikes!

Haven't drank diet coke or any fizzy drinks in probs 25 years, but I've now discovered that a sip or two of coke zero really does quell the sweets craving and lets me get on with my day. I'd forgotten how utterly SWEET those diet sodas are!

So didn't actually make food for the whole week, but did make a turkey/veg stew that'll freeze well.
Tomorrow is PP day so have been eyeing the lean beef in the fridge, will probably drag out the old meat grinder and make some mince. Hopefully it'll be enough for a few patties tomorrow and a nice spicy chile for Monday's PV day. Mmmm

Sounds as if you're being pretty organised! Stews are great for making sure you get plenty of veg (and for using wilted things from the darkest depths of the fridge:eek:). I recently started cooking a large roast on Sundays and freezing leftovers - mad dashes to the supermarket from being disorganised can end up expensive!

I hope I can keep up the new organised me for a while at least!
This morning I've managed to drink a pot of coffee, make the beef mince, put on the chile for tomorrow (it smells fabulous, can't wait to eat it!) and make hamburger patties for my lunch. Who am I, and what have I done with the real me??

CD- what type of roast do you do? I'd love to make one but the beef is so expensive here and even the best quality cuts end up being just so-so. Do you use the slow cooker?

I get my meat from a good butcher and then slow roast it in the oven (7-8hrs), it becomes so tender you can cut it with a spoon! I hate poor quality meat, I'd rather have eggs/chicken/fish than tough and chewy beef. A 2kg joint will give you a lovely Sunday dinner and loads for the freezer. I keep meaning to get a cheap slow-cooker as I love them. Do you have one?

I actually have 2, one is huge and the other is average (4 litres I think). I've got a recipe for slow cooker meatloaf (non-dukan) that is outrageous! I'll have to dukanise some slow cooker recipes and try them out. I love no hassle cooking, tip all the goods into the cooker and away it goes :cool:

I've slow roasted pork shoulder in the past in a low oven for many hours, it truly is fall apart tender. I might give that a try with one of the 'better' cuts of meat I can buy. Thanks for the inspiration!

Ooh, and also have pressure cooker, that is fab for tough cuts of meat. I'll need to look into that as well

Had a quick peek at the scales this morning and it looks like I'm down another 1.5lbs from Saturday after starting cruise. But I will be trying to stay off the scales but for Saturday morning WIs.
Had chile for breakfast w/lettuce and muffins (I know!)
lunch - mustard and garlic grilled chick breast w/broccoli
dinner - haven't quite decided yet, but will probably off the chile :D

As I can't get sf jelly powder around here I must continue experimenting w/unflavoured gelatine and sf drink powders, first attempt produced something with not so horrid flavour but oh the consistency - was something you may have been able to play squash with and if dropped from more than 20 feet could do serious damage to the intended target.

On the bright side, have ordered some silken tofu so will be trying the dessert soon!

I've some friends who'll be bringing me over some more jelly when they come, or else I ask someone to mail me £10 worth and I send them money... any chance of that?

Chilli for breakfast sounds "interesting" ;)

Well today's experiment with the jelly seems to have worked out fairly well so perhaps problem solved?

I frankly can't believe I lost weight the first few days on attack, I managed to eat continuously - every 1.5-2 hours it seemed! And I don't mean just a nibble I mean a whole chick breast or other kingly portion of allowed foods. I've stopped buying lean ham because I was going thru an entire packet every day :eek:

Well, survived the minor disaster unscathed and am looking forward to PV tomorrow. I must learn to drink more water throughout the day, I seem to not be very thirsty until evening and then I glug loads of water and invariably I'm up at 3 or 4 with a very full bladder...:rolleyes:

breakfast - muffins & coffee
lunch - leftover salmon
dinner - chick breast w/cajun seasoning
misc - yoghurt, tub of quark

Back